Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
CB Installation

I've done a search on this subject on numerous sites, but have had no luck so far.
I have a Crew Cab diesel, and pull a 32' 5th wheel. I have a CB mounted to my dash, (Uniden Bearcat 880), and I've never really been able to get good reception on it.
I've tried window mount antennas, magnetic antennas on the roof, double "trucker" antennas, etc. I've tuned the antennas according to instructions, all to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2003 Duramax
2010 CrossRoads Cruiser
loulyn147602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For your install the Twin Truckers are the best... But there may be other issues affecting your reception and transmit range.

Twin Truckers, properly phased and mounted and tuned,, Favor the road ahead and the road behind.. Though the trailer may reduce performance to the rear.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Depends on what your SWR is, and having a good ground plane. I have no idea what type of antenna you have, but that window mounted one has to go. The twin antennas can be hard to get co-phased. Buy yourself an SWR meter and tune that magnetic mounted one. I would put the antenna about 3/4 of the way back on your cab . Shorten or lengthen your antenna, about a 1/4 " at a time until you obtain your lowest SWR reading. 1.1.1 is perfect, and anything over 2.0.1 will be hard on the radio.

If you don't already have a good antenna, a Wilson 1,000 magnetic roof mount is a darn good one.

Grounding your radio to the truck is also something you should be checking. Don't use the battery for the ground. Run the wire to the frame of the truck.
I like to use the seat belt bolt area. Remove the bolt and put your ground wire under it, then cinch it down.
Run the positive wire directly to the battery. Not the cigarette lighter, or some other accessory wire. You might pick up static that way. The battery is clean power.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Have you tried a different radio? Could be the radio itself.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
FWIW If you can find somebody with an antenna analyzer it would probably be worth having them take a look. Trimming by chart is best guess. Trimming by analyzer yields real measurements.

You might also need a better ground from the radio chassis to the truck chassis.

It is probably not worth buying a book but some time at the library or on line with looking for mobile radio installation might tell you a lot.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote