Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

I got a CDL when I took on a transit driving job at 63 years old. The agency I worked for took care of the training and paperwork and I passed the test first time. Since I took medication for hypertension I could only get a 12-month medical ticket, even though it was under control.

I was an "extra board" driver and was assigned to routes where the regular driver was out for whatever reason. As the agency expanded from a 5-days a week to 7 days, then got into inter-city express services that started at 04:00, I decided to bag it after a little more than 2 years. I kept the licence at the first renewal, but didn't bother getting a new medical ticket.

With the more stringent federal rules for CDLs that came in about 18 months ago, I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost, so I went back to a regular DL. Since our rig is only 32', it wouldn't require a CDL anyway and I've decided that phase of life is over.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We just not sure the requirements for a Non Commerical Class A, each state wants for something different.
zipposrv, I know it might get confusing when folks here are giving you information for other states. However, all you really have to be concerned about is your own state when it comes to the requirements of a non-commercial license. The way I understand it, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, there is an implied reciprocity in all U.S. states to accept the drivers' license from any other U.S. state as valid in its entirety when traveling through that state.

If you're an Indiana resident, then just be sure to get properly licensed in that state and don't worry about the requirements in other states.

This only pertains to your drivers' license, however. You will still have to abide by the towing rules, equipment requirements, traffic laws, etc. in each state you drive your rig through.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROC View Post
there is an implied reciprocity in all U.S. states to accept the drivers' license from any other U.S. state as valid in its entirety when traveling through that state.

This only pertains to your drivers' license, however. You will still have to abide by the towing rules, equipment requirements, traffic laws, etc. in each state you drive your rig through.
That is exactly right.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a class B Here in Ohio. I got mine so i could get another job and ended up getting the training and endorsements for a school and passenger bus. I could drive a school bus. My RV as well as all RVs don't require one in this state however Ohio Has a sort of "No mans land" when it comes to CDL and larger Vehicles used for personal use.
The state has no lic for say a old OTR truck towing a 5er. They only see the 5er as a RV not the tractor.
Ohio says there is NO personal use of a CDL class vehicle With out a CDL.
I think Ohio is really messed up on this matter.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #19

Again, a Commercial Drivers License is NEVER required for your Motor Home unless you use it for profit. Read the CFR standards in that link. My Indiana drivers license is good everywhere in North America, and everywhere in the world that accepts an International Drivers permit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
In some states you won't need a CDL but you might need a air brake endorsement on your license.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote