Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
CDL

Not sure if this fits here, but here goes. We are retiring our Volvo 780, husbands over the road truck. Question for those who use large tractors, do I need a cdl to tow the fifth wheel?
Would obtain this in Indiana.
Thanks
Mary
zipposrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipposrv View Post
Not sure if this fits here, but here goes. We are retiring our Volvo 780, husbands over the road truck. Question for those who use large tractors, do I need a cdl to tow the fifth wheel?
Would obtain this in Indiana.
Thanks
Mary
Depends on what you are replacing the 780 with. You don't say. And if your husband is a trucker he already has a CDL.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Depends on the state. In PA you would need a non-CDL (commercial drivers licence) Class A.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Generally speaking, unless you're going to be engaged in commerce, a commercial driver license is not required. An enhanced driver license may or may not be required depending upon the state - Texas would require a Class A NON-commercial driver license because a HDT has a GCWR of 26,001 or greater and would be towing over 10,000 lbs.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your replies. Going with a Class A Non Commercial would be the way to go. At times I would relocated the fifthwheel myself. And yes, husband has his CDL, we are owner operators.

Thanks
Mary
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
However, CDL's carry different requirements than a non CDL.
They have to be renewed every 5 yrs.
Require medical to accompany it. That is done every 2 years unless you have other issues.
Laws are also different. For example if you get BAC test, most states now .08 is the legal limit. With a CDL it is .04
With a regular license you do not necessarily loose your license for 1st time offense.
With a CDL. it's gone!
I think it's 5 years before you can ever get it back and if you get a 2nd conviction, it's gone for life.
The medical is kind of a pain because certain conditions can be pain, like type 2 diabetes requires a new medical every year. God forbid you have any heart issues going on can take months to clear you.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. This is a great question really, and I don't recall it ever being asked here before.

I know of no reason you'd need a CDL to pull a fiver with the tractor. Not sure what the others who've suggested it know, but I wouldn't think so.

As Rusty mentioned, some states require certain non commercial endorsements to drive large RVs but not a CDL.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks, I'm aware of the Class A requirements, with our business, I try to stay up to date. Medical cards, hours of service, the works.
We just not sure the requirements for a Non Commerical Class A, each state wants for something different.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

No CDL requirement has been a boon to the RV HDT movement.
No CDLs here.

No CDL here.

or here.

Most states allow you to do it with minimal or no hassle. Few are still in the "dark ages".

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

The first word is "Commercial". Will either of you be involved in transporting anything for compensation? Here is a portion of the Indiana CDL statues:
"Indiana Commercial Driver's License

An Indiana Commercial Driver's License (CDL) allows the holder to operate commercial motor vehicles or combinations of vehicles with declared gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 26,000 pounds; vehicles designed or used to transport 16 or more people, including the driver; and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

In general, CDL requirements are stricter than for any other Indiana driver's license and are based upon stringent federal motor carrier safety regulations. To get a CDL you must be at least 18 years old, if you will be transporting property within state lines, or at least 21 years old if you will be transporting people. You must have held a valid driver's license, chauffeur's license, or public passenger chauffeur's license for at least one year. You must also hold a CDL learner's permit."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The first word is "Commercial". Will either of you be involved in transporting anything for compensation? Here is a portion of the Indiana CDL statues:
"Indiana Commercial Driver's License

An Indiana Commercial Driver's License (CDL) allows the holder to operate commercial motor vehicles or combinations of vehicles with declared gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 26,000 pounds; vehicles designed or used to transport 16 or more people, including the driver; and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

In general, CDL requirements are stricter than for any other Indiana driver's license and are based upon stringent federal motor carrier safety regulations. To get a CDL you must be at least 18 years old, if you will be transporting property within state lines, or at least 21 years old if you will be transporting people. You must have held a valid driver's license, chauffeur's license, or public passenger chauffeur's license for at least one year. You must also hold a CDL learner's permit."
Texas excludes recreational vehicles fron CDL requirements, but a Class C operators license does not allow you to drive anything over 26K or tow anything over 10K, except for farm use.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Texas excludes recreational vehicles fron CDL requirements, but a Class C operators license does not allow you to drive anything over 26K or tow anything over 10K, except for farm use.
With all respect, a Texas Class C allows you to tow over 10k so long as the GCWR of the towing vehicle is not over 26,000 lbs. If the GCWR is 26,001 or greater, the break point is a towed load over 10,000 lbs requires a Class A; less than 10,000 lbs requires a Class B. Ref Texas Transportation Code Sec 521.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Unless the laws change, when we FT, I am debating weather or not to let my CDL go..
It cost me more money to maintain or renew it and when ever I have a beer or two, I make the wife drive our POV. Even if she has had 2 beers since my BAC is less allowed than hers is.
But we might pick up a gig here and there while FT someplace and that CDL might come in handy. Dunno...
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

General consensus among us the "non-CDL" hdt drivers is "why bother", unless you live in one of the few idiotic states that make it mandatory. And the option there is to set up an LLC in a state not populated by bureaucratic idiots and have the LLC own the truck (watch out in California, if they catch you Jerry Brown will make a lynching example out of you). The extra cost of getting it, maintaining it and watching out for the PITA rules associated with it makes no sense at all.
I'm not dismissing the rules for the professional truckers, the training they have and the safety issues they pay attention to. But unless you "can't give up professional trucking" (in your retirement) I'd let it lapse.
Yeah, I know it's hard to walk away from professional licenses, degrees and "influence you had", but life marches on and so does old age and if you don't get it, somebody eventually will tell you, "come on grandpa, just sit down".
I never had a CDL, guy with a CDL taught me how to drive a big rig in about 15 minutes,

but let me tell you, once you touch those air brakes and hear that "whoosh" and hook up those airlines to the fifth,

and hear that "whoosh", there is no going back.
Yes you can have air activated brakes on you fifth and replace the garbage that normally come on those, and you don't need "no stinkn' brake controller" if you have those, the truck takes care of that superbly.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote