Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

I own a CC and like it very much. I think (IMO) that they are probably very close. But I don't like OSB sub-floor of the Keystone products (Montana/Alpine).With that being said floorplan that you like and and all else is the same. G rated tires, 7000 lb axles, 12 inch I beam frame....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 2006 CC Daydreamer before our MH. Never owned a Montana. But took a serious look at them before buying the DayDreamer. At that time Montana did not have an equivalent to the DayDreamer model. Only problem we had with the DayDreamer was microwave/convection oven. I've seen this common problem for both brands posted in this thread

Do they still make different models of the CC and Montana? If so, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Dave

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

I think what most people are saying here is dead on, my "option" on a couple though, the thought that they are ok for weekend and vacation use only is bs. For the money there is not a better deal, there is tons of people full-timing in a CC and Montana happy has heck. The few things that our better in other trailers don't justify the price difference. I have a CC and went with it because I personally thought screwed and glued frame was better then welded like the Montana, for flex, I thought the fit and finish was much better,and the osb flooring I didn't like in the Montana. CC has been wonderful to work with to fix the few minor things I needed. I fulltime and would highly recommend a CC, I think its one of the best as far as bang for buck. I think a Lifestyle might be a better one haven't looked to close because they don't have a floorplan for me.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #18

Also remember - some units offer more bang for the buck.

After my research and observation l come down on the side that there are a lot very nice units that are very suitable for full time. My next 5er will have at least 7,000 lb axles, G rated tires, and 12" I-beam frame. Unless DW likes the floorplan on a different unit that is missing the axles, or tires, or frame.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #19

Hi

Her is what you do. When you look at a new trailer ask the sales person to see the document package that is to be delivered to the new owner when he / she purchases.

If this package doesnít contain the following three items you are looking at a ďlow endĒ trailer.

1 complete wire diagram / schematic.

2 complete structural drawings.

3 complete plumbing drawing.

I have found only three manufacturers deliver these three along with all of the other stuff like AC, Refer, Vent fan, etc paperwork. Most of the other manufacturers will tell you those documents donít exist.

The next thing is warranty.

If the manufacturers donít require all of their dealers to do warranty work regardless of who sold the trailer this is not good.

Last but not least.

Donít accept the trailer without having a Pre Delivery Inspection done by the dealer and the factory supplied Pre Delivery List signed by a principal of the dealer organization.

When the dealer or any person or company that the manufacturer tells you to use for warranty repair or customer paid repair or service get a copy of the work order and make sure it shows all of the work they did. DO NOT accept the excuse that they donít deliver this type of paper work for warranty repairs.

Sincerely

3665RE
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
Our first fiver was a Montana which served us well for five years and was fine for the most part. Items like cabinet fit and quality seemed to be our most pressing issues. We now have a Cedar Creek 36B4 and could not be happier, I know Montana is probably the largest seller of fifth wheels but we feel for quality and service we made the right choice with our Cedar Creek.
Here is a head to head review; This should hold a lot of weight. Would guess that someone else did the reverse order of purchase!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #21

We have a 2011 3700RL Montana and we have had so many problems with it. The basement doors fell of the first trip we took with it and that was within the first week we owned it. The shade behind the table window fell out of the wall. The fireplace thermo has never worked. The electric awning has quit working. Just to mention a few of the issues and now the Norcold refrigerator will not cool on AC power. This is the 4th 5th wheel we have purchased from the same dealer and all the rest were not Montana but Keystone products. We have had excellent service from this dealer until now. They have done nothing to help us with any of these issues and I called Keystone and their response was one of "We couldn't care less about your issues take it to your dealer" We love the floor plan and the quality of the Coach structure seems good but some of our issues make me wonder if we made the right decision.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnie View Post
We have a 2011 3700RL Montana and we have had so many problems with it.
Hi

The Montana purchased 8 years ago or older is of much higher quality than the ones built today. The people that have them are very happy with them. The people that purchased them new donít understand your problems with the lack of warranty because they didnít have any problems getting warranty work performed. The owners that purchased used are also very pleased with their 8-year or older unit.

Now fast forward to 2009!

The quality of the trailer has deteriorated greatly, the dealer is lethargic and dealers that didnít sell the trailer will not do warranty work. High volume dealers are allowed to sell trailers while having a service department un-staffed, under staffed, or staffed with unqualified personnel. The manufacturer when advised the dealerís service department has many complaints about their service and the manufacturer is provided a list of the trailer VIN numbers that this dealer has improperly repaired the manufacturer responds with ďwe donít cross reference those types of thingsĒ. Then the head of the manufacturers customer service department has no comment when presented with proof that the dealer didnít have any trained service personnel except for the service manager it becomes clear that it is the manufacturers policy to avoid as many warranty claims a possible. The customer service department should be rename to the customer dis-service department. Then to top it off when I offer to bring the trailer to the manufacturer so they could see the problems they refuse me access to any of their facilities.

I will let you all guess as to what changed.

I now have as much in doing work that should have been performed under warranty as I paid for the trailer. The list of is 3 pages long. The worst and most expensive repair was because the roof and end walls of the large slide were not properly assembled. I provided the manufacturer with the VIN numbers of 2 other trailers of the same year and model that had the same problem. Again ďwe donít cross reference those types of thingsĒ.

You enquire of Peterson, Lifestyle and DRV for any thing you have a concern about and you will hear from them within hours. Lifestyles even called me back on a Saturday afternoon to answer my question about whey the mounted the latch that holds the generator compartment door open the way they did. When I had a question about whether or not I could get a diagram of the electric wiring from Peterson the president of the company called me back. When I looked at a DRV the owner showed me the documents that came with the trailer. They included structure, wiring and plumbing diagrams.

The real sad part is I now have as much in this trailer as I would have paid for any of the above trailers.

3665RE
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both are about equal in quality and are mid price level RVs. Pick the one that has the floor plan you like and the better dealership. Neither one is rated as a full-time or true 4-season trailer.

Ken
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintnut View Post
We are looking to replace our fifth wheel. Looking at Cedar Creek and Montana. I'm looking for opinions as to quality, service, slide reliability, heating and cooling and any other related comparisons.
Thanks in advance,
Russ
I chose the Bighorn over both
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
I had a Bighorn and moved up to a Landmark-also full time rated and warranted.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can only tell you of my experience with a Cedar Creek that I pulled for 7 flawless years. Served us very well. Only reason we moved to a MH was the ease of quick set up and tear down with the MH. We are planing on uping our travel miles and stop frequency and the MH makes that a peace of cake.
The quality of the CC5er was great, sturdy, trouble free, held its value well and with just minimum care looked very good the day we sold it. Almost sheading tears just thinking about it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #27

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I like em both.... Montana has been best sellers for 11 years. The Cedar Creek is supposed to be a step up. ..... well in the price anyway.
We have a Rushmore by Crossroads. beauty, but have had a few problems
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #28

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I feel the same way about the Designer by Jayco with the separate Living room that we had for 4 years with no problems... What were we thinking when we traded in for what we have now?