Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Ceiling fan

I just purchased a 2008 Rockwood. I have two problems with it I can't seem to find the problem with. First, the ceiling fan won't come on, neither the lights nor the fan. It's got pull chains on it. I also have 5 switches on the wall coming in the trailer. Two of them I can't find what they go to. Nothing comes on when turning them on. Not sure if one is for the ceiling fan. The other problem is that the control panel for the tank levels and the pump doesn't doesn't light up when holding down the buttons. I've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers and nothing is blown. Am I missing something some where? I don't see any more switches any where for anything. Thanks in advance.

Kate J.

KateJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I would bet that the two switches that aren't working anything go to that fan and it's light kit. Is it possible there was a remote for the fan and you don't have it?

Just a thought,

mikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
I don't see anything indicating a remote. And it's got the pull chains on it. I have the owner's manual for it, but all it says is to turn on the fan and shows the chains. Same thing for the tank control panel. Just says push and hold down the button to show the level in a tank. The fuse panel doesn't show which circuit either of these are on, and all the fuses are good. I tested each one. And the circuit breakers are all on and working. All of the owner's manuals for everything on this trailer are totally vague. They just say turn the item on. Nothing about trouble shooting, there isn't anything saying what all the switches on the wall are for, none are marked. It would be whole lot brighter in here at night if I could get the lights on that thing working. That's the main light source for the living area.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Coastal Campers
The tank panels installed by the manufacturer are of such low quality I have really tried to think of a good reason they include such inferior products other than cost. The only answer I came up with was entertainment. I really wouldn't waste any more time trying to find a way for it to produce any further usable results.

Now the fan. If one of the switches does not control it, then it is wired direct. It may share a circuit with something else, but if everything else is working, that is not likely. Given the situation you describe, I would gain access to the wiring under the fan and with a meter, determine if you have a working circuit. If you are not comfortable with doing that, find someone with a test meter who is comfortable around electricity to help you. Also you didn't mention if it ever worked since you took possession of the unit. I suspect one of the leads has come apart at a wire nut or the feed wire has slipped out of the source, probably at one of those mystery switches.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
No, it hasn't worked since I got it. I've only had the trailer about 3 weeks then had to throw it into service before I could check out all the bugs. Thanks for your input. It gives me some place to start checking.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Having had a lot of fun with electrical stuff at work (including having bad wiring burn up 9 $4,500 treadmills in a few seconds), lets start simple and work outward. First turn off then on all of the circuit breakers. Sometimes, they don't move the handle much at all (spent several hours checking and checking and checking then reset the circuit breaker and it worked). If you are comfortable around electrical items then open the breaker box and make sure that even if the breaker is closed it is supplying electricity with a meter.

If that works, then go to one of the dead switches. Carefully remove the switch from the wall and test between the ground and the two power leads (they can be any color but should be red or black). If you have power on one lead, and not the other then flip the switch to the on position. You should have power in both leads now. No fan? Or no light? On to the fan.

Best way to do this is to get a ladder to balance the fan on so you don't have to support its weight and work on the wires. Once you have removed the fan and have access to the wires, test between the white (neutral) and the power lead (should be the same color as at the switch but not necessarily). Make sure the wall switch is in the on position. Make sure all connections are tight. You are more than likely going to find a loose connection. If you have power to the fan, then you need to check the pull chain switch. If you have power going in and out, the fan motor is bad.

The lights on the fan will be supplied in about the same manner. Most residential wiring has that has a separate switch for lights will have a power lead run to the box were the fan is mounted on the roof and one of the wires in the bundle from the fan will be marked as light or lighting.

I would venture to say that you find a loose connection in the ceiling where the fan is mounted, or in the area of the switches that control the fan's motor and light. Hopefully this will be an easy fix. Good Luck!
Steve & Trudy
Swamplands of Louisiana
Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!!
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Commercial Member
In my camper my switch for the fan is in the back of the camper. My fan is in the living room and the switch is in the left rear of the camper. It will be wired 120 volts and if you don't know witch switch operates the fan you can ohm the wires. Pull out the switches and take down the fan then ohm between the two. Use a long piece of wire to help reach the switches to check them. Normally the switches at the door are for inside lights and outside lights (step and over the door light ). Check the side walls even with the fan for a switch. Hope you work this out. You can contact the factory and get help.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Here's an update. John, you were right, but I found it on the last day before I came home. There's a switch on mine also, but in the right rear, up under a cabinet where no one would see it. As for the tank panel not working, the owner's manual also states that some models have a switch located in the bathroom, and since the fan switch wasn't any where near the fan, and also another problem (found out I have a 3rd waste water tank) wasn't where the manual said it was, I'll bet that if I do have another switch to that panel, that it's not in the bathroom, but some where that no one would ever imagine it to be. As mentioned, I have a 3rd waste water tank, and the manual said it would be right above the gray/black valves. Nope. Those are in the front left of the trailer. The other one is at the left rear just in front of the rear bumper. But I'm home now and I can get out my tester and start hunting down the secret of the phantom panel that won't light up. The biggest problem with it not having any power is that the pump switch is also on there and it's not working either.

ceiling, fan