Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Changing flat tires on 5th wheel

I bought the Trailer Aide last year after I had a heck of time lifting my 5th wheel Toyhauler with Jack I had. Talking with people I got the trailer aide and never used it till yesterday when I was going to repack bearings on my double axle 2009 Cedar Creek. I got the trailer aide out of box and pulled the campers front wheel onto trailer aide. The back tire was not off ground. I pulled off and put it on cement thinking the trailer aide sunk in the grass a little. Same thing happened the front wheel on trailer aide and back wheel was still not off ground. Called Camco Mfg in NC and they told me that the newer trailers suspension is different and the trailer aide will not work with the newer suspensions. Anyone come across the same problem? Also is there anything out there that works on these newer suspensions like the trailer aide works? Hate using jacks if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Coastal Campers
Bryan, I don't think you will find much out there. The Trailer Aide is a novel idea, but I don't think you can get the height you will need as when the one axle goes up the other goes down. So, sorry to say, I think you will need a hydraulic jack and some jack stands. I use a 6 ton and two jack stands.

Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
A decent hydraulic jack and a jack stand is probably your best solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
I have used a Trailer Aid twice on two different 5ers one was built in 07 and the other was in 2010. I have found that I need to use a 2X6 under the Trailer Aid to help in raising the 5er up higher than the Trailer Aid will do. I also will then place a 3 ton bottle jack under the tire that needs to be changed to lift the axle up. I do this to prevent the axle from supporting the entire trailer weight. The axle is not designed to support the entire trailer weight as it is lifted in the air to remove a tire.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
The trailer aid has never worked on many trailer suspensions.
It won't work with a torsion suspension according to those that have tried one.

It also as the OP won't work on many std leaf spring suspensions with a equalizer bar.

Depends on gap between the axle centers and the length of equalizer bar used.

Best bet is do a dry run at home and see what works and what didn't work as advertised.

I've worn out over a dozen GN flatdeck equipment trailers on the road with 3500 lb on up to 10k lb axles with leaf spring suspensions. I've jacked many a trailer on the side of the road or on the worksite in the mud or a paved loading yard with a 12 ton hydraulic shorty bottle jack under the axle tubes next to the U bolts. Nothing gets bent or crushed as some folks think.

Now if we placed a jack away from the U bolt towards the center of the trailer then a bent axle tube has happened. I've re bowed (more camber) several axles back to specs this way.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
pull the good wheel onto a set of levelers/blocks to take some of the weight off of the other axle. You don't need to raise the axle you want to work on totally off the ground. Use a bottle jack (I have a 12 ton I got from Tractor Supply) to jack the wheel you are working on off the ground. Then reverse the procedure for the other axle.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good hydraulic bottle jack is all I use. You need a 12 to a 20 ton jack. The 3, 4,5, or 6 ton jacks just won't work very well.

If your axles are below the springs, you will need a C section perch to put on top of the jack and reach around the axle tube and lift by the springs. The axle can deform as it was not meant to support that much weight on a single spot.

But for a quick road side tire change, pull the good tire up on a couple of 2 x 8" boards to lift the flat tire.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Years ago someone gave me a ramp gizmo that they had purchased for this purpose and never used - I think they were moving to a MH. I've used it twice (thanks and good riddance, Goodyear G614 RSTs ) alongside Interstates, and it has been, perhaps literally, a life-saver!

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, tires