Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Charge house & Generator batteries

Looking for some information charging 'Deep & Starter' batteries.
Found good info on YouTube, but no diagrams.
Want to charge house batteries, then the generator battery.

On YouTube, someone used a battery isolater / solenoid to first charge the house batteries, then when sufficiently charged, the solenoid would switch and charger the the generator battery.
Similar to a Class A or the like.

Anyone have any diagrams, or such?

Any info would be helpful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used this TRIK-L-START for 5 years, it will keep your chassis battery charged as long as you are either on shore power or generator.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

I wouldn't mess with a solenoid, etc., I'd just install an AC-powered couple-of-amp trickle charger on the generator battery. That will keep the generator battery fresh when on shore power and replenish it fairly quickly after a generator start (a single start won't deplete the battery very much.)

For your house batteries you need a heavy duty charger of course, a trickle charger in that case (or even a single-stage DC converter as frequently supplied by OEMs) will take much too long to recharge them if you're trying to minimize generator run time.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmmmmmmm. My convertor is wired to both house and genny battery.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
The thing with that is... I would guess that the house battery is significantly larger than the generator start battery? In that case it wouldn't be a very good idea to charge them in parallel. Perhaps there is something in how the system is wired to account for this.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

My understanding of battery charging is as following:

the house battery is designed to discharge at a slow rate and the starting type battery is designed to discharge a large amount of current over a short period of time.. It is also my understanding that there is a difference in the charging method used for both type batteries.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #7

Yes...starting batteries are high amp discharge for short periods of time...and don't last long when forced into repeated deep cycle service due to their many THIN plates. These are what you find in an engine compartment or "chassis" battery capable of starting your engine in cold weather.
Deep cycles are designed to provide many hundreds of cycles down to 50% and support steady amp draws for many hours. Thick plates.
THEY need to be charged with a 3 stage charge (approx 14.5V, 13.8V and 13.2V and equalized 15.2V occasionally as well.
Starting batteries are happy with a 3 stage charge OR a fixed voltage charge like the 14.2 supplied from the alternator.

Dual purpose batteries are a lousy compromise between the two and are suitible for single battery applications.
A generator should be able to start quite easily from a deep cycle battery which could then be used for traditional deep cycle purposes to give longer boondocking capability.
If you have a couple of house batteries and a start battery...simply charge the house batteries and then add an echo charge or trickle charge unit to keep the chassis battery topped up when you are not running your engine.
3 wire hookup.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Yes...starting batteries are high amp discharge for short periods of time...and don't last long when forced into repeated deep cycle service due to their many THIN plates. These are what you find in an engine compartment or "chassis" battery capable of starting your engine in cold weather.
Deep cycles are designed to provide many hundreds of cycles down to 50% and support steady amp draws for many hours. Thick plates.
THEY need to be charged with a 3 stage charge (approx 14.5V, 13.8V and 13.2V and equalized 15.2V occasionally as well.
Starting batteries are happy with a 3 stage charge OR a fixed voltage charge like the 14.2 supplied from the alternator.

Dual purpose batteries are a lousy compromise between the two and are suitible for single battery applications.
A generator should be able to start quite easily from a deep cycle battery which could then be used for traditional deep cycle purposes to give longer boondocking capability.
If you have a couple of house batteries and a start battery...simply charge the house batteries and then add an echo charge or trickle charge unit to keep the chassis battery topped up when you are not running your engine.
3 wire hookup.
So, if what you are saying is, the one battery (start), uses a parasite from the house batteries?
What about the float part. I didn't see info on the link.
I boon-dock allot, and wanted something to 'quickly' top off the batteries.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
My problem started with the WFCO 75A converter only putting out 8.5vdc.
So that is why I am entertaining the idea of the isolater / solenoid part. Fix it once and for all.

Tags
batteries, generator