RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Check this out, doesn't make sense.

We left out this past week for a little getaway. Drove 2 hours to our destination and set up the rv. I noticed the antenna was not wanting crank very easily, I didn't force it, I just chalked it up to maybe needed lubed so I left it alone and decided to worry with it later. A little later me and the wife go outside to take a walk and as we were returning to our site, I noticed something around our antenna. I go up on the roof to investigate and can't believe what I saw.

Our rubber roof was torn back and wrapped up in a ball between our front a/c unit and our antenna. I have no idea how this could happen. It seems as if it tore away from the front cap line and I suppose the wind from the interstate just kept ripping it back.

I know for a fact that It wasn't damaged when we left our house. Our trip consisted of leaving our driveway, 2 hours on the interstate, and turning into the campground and parking in our site. Absolutely no limbs or anything like that on our trip (I took the exact route back home and looked for any possibility). It was really hot (around 95 degrees) which would explain the glue maybe not holding the roof down once the wind got under it, but I have no idea how this thing just decided to peel back. Our rv is 4 years old and always stored indoors. Anyone had any similar experience like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	254043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	254044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	254045  

powermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

I've seen a lot of fivers with a similar issue , most times in the oncoming lane; with the rubber roof balloned up .

I believe what happened , is the rubber roofing shrunk back from under the cap molding , giving a gap for the air to enter and the force of the wind going up over the front cap does the rest.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

I've never seen anything like that that I can recall.

Something for the rest of the RV community to be aware of.Thanks for sharing.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

This happened to me once. When I put everything back down in place there was a spot about the size of a softball missing. Looked like something hit it and then the wind took over. Never figured out what it was. That day I found out about industrial strength duct tape. It held from Hannibal Mo to Michigan and then to the shop. I carry it with me now just in case.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
That's the only thing we could think that happened.Maybe caught a rock or something from the interstate that started the whole process. Anyway, I filed an insurance claim, I hope it goes smooth. Got out and covered it really good with a tarp until the insurance adjuster shows up. Glad I did because it's pouring down outside right now.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I've seen a lot of fivers with a similar issue , most times in the oncoming lane; with the rubber roof balloned up .

I believe what happened , is the rubber roofing shrunk back from under the cap molding , giving a gap for the air to enter and the force of the wind going up over the front cap does the rest.

YEP^^^^^^
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #7

I'v seen a ballooning 5er roof also. It made me do a double take as it passed by.

As the operator you would never know.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a friend who owns a 98(?) Windsor. That year they had rubber roofs. He decided to have it replace due to age. On his first trip the whole thing ripped off, the installers did something wrong, not sure what but they ended up replacing it FOC.
I had a class C and the rubber started to seperate from the roof. It was near a sky light so I removed the skylight and was able to use adhesive to reattach. Must have worked, I sold the rig and drive by it occasionally.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

That's what is was!

I was coming north on the Interstate last week and met a Fiver coming down the southbound lane. There was a huge bubble just behind the front cap. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. It was much bigger than a satellite dome.
Lynn
Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Bummer man. Looks like a nice insurance claim. I imagine they will replace the roof. Look into getting the RV Flex Armor no maintenance lifetime roof. I had it done to mine in May and love it. ZERO maintenance and very durable. The only thing that damage it is something bad enough to do structural damage. Good luck.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Bummer man. Looks like a nice insurance claim. I imagine they will replace the roof. Look into getting the RV Flex Armor no maintenance lifetime roof. I had it done to mine in May and love it. ZERO maintenance and very durable. The only thing that damage it is something bad enough to do structural damage. Good luck.
RV FLEX Armor is the only Roof to go back with. They have several locations around the country. I went to DFW RV Roofs in Denton, Tx. It was cheaper than the normal rv roof repair and included all new vents, vent covers, fans, & skylight .
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #12

There is a huge area of negative pressure across the roof. Even a small 1ft square of membrane that was not glued down will be sucked up. That is where it starts and the negative pressure will begin to peel the membrane off.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #13

Man, you are lucky you saw that.

Good luck with fixing it. Hope it turns out not to be as bad as it looks.

The roof plywood looks good.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Evergreen Owners Club
insurance guy came out, said it would need a new roof of course. Now just waiting for the amount they think I can get it replaced for. This ought to be fun.