Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Checklist for Starting and Dropping the 5'ers

Several things I have read, mention a check list of things to do before you hook, and then before you move, as well as an end of day checklist. I just wonder if any of you 5'ers have made such or might advise where to find same?
Yes, you are right....I'm a newbie, but would like all the information I can collect before getting into serious moving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
We all learn by asking questions, never fear.

As for a departure checklist this is what we use. We have two laminated copies, one in the truck and one inside the trailer. We each divide up these tasks. I think its best to use it every time and in the same order. DW and myself cross-check each other prior to departure. The precheck items I do while she is still busy inside the trailer and ahead of the other items and while I pack up remaining stuff outside.

Since each rig and operator is different there will be many variations to this process, use what works best for you. Its all about safety and reducing risks and damage.

As for a days end list- don't have one. This really depends on location, weather, length of stay, etc.

Enjoy your adventures.

5th Wheeler Departure Checklist

Inside
Store Kitchen
Switch Frig to propane (if needed)
Close roof vents (depends)
Lower antenna(s)
Secure TV
Close windows & lower shades
Clear slider path ways
Empty trash
Latch shower door
Clear all tops
Check Frig contents for spillables
Turn-off water heater
Turn-off furnace or AC
Check all drawers and doors closed and latched

Pre-check
Check tire pressure, truck and trailer, inflate as required
Check trailer wheel nuts for torque
Check oil & fluids
Check brake fluid in trailer's EoH system
Check hitch plate
Add fresh water as required
Lower tail gate

Trailer Close sliders
Re-track awning & latch
Raise rear jacks
Disconnect shore power, TV cable if used
Disconnect water line
Disconnect sewer hose
Store latter
Re-track steps
Lock door

Truck
Remove tandem wheel chocks
Hitch trailer
Lock pin
Plug-in trailer cable
Connect break-away cable
Remove last chocks
Short crank front jacks
Tug test
Raise front jacks
Store wheel & jack support blocks
Close tailgate

Final Checks
Verify all cargo bays are closed & locked
Verify trailer lights
360 walk around & under check
Check for problems on exit route, tight turns and low limbs, etc.

Departure
Verify trailer brakes working & check mirrors

rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
Good info!!
Old 05-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
...We have two laminated copies, one in the truck and one inside the trailer...
Same here, and almost the exact same items. Two things...

1. I ALWAYS visually inspect the king pin and verify the jaws of the hitch are around the pin like they should be. I use a flashlight to do this, even in bright sunlight. I've seen a truck that failed to do this once. It was ugly. An ounce of prevention...

2. Don't forget to do a brake check PRIOR to fully retracting your landing gear. I take the weight off, but stop about 2" off the ground. Then, I pull forward a foot and manually actuate the trailer brakes. This verifies the brakes are good, and the hitch is not going to do something unexpected. If it stops, we're good. I can then fully retract the gear.

Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Army Nurse- thanks for explaining details about what I glossed over in two items (Short Jack & Tug Test). My terms were not clear enough for someone new.

I also always check the jaws around the king pin after hitching along with the electrical and break-away cable. As per another post I put bright orange tape on the outside face on the pin jaws so they are easier to see in low light or dark conditions. I have a B&W Companion hitch. If I can drop the safety pin through its hole I don't see how the jaws could not be around the pin. However, I believe things when I see it myself, thus I always check the safety pins and the jaws after rest stops, etc. There are three safety pins on a B&W Companion hitch. Having a trailer separation is one those worst-case events. separations
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Like others here in addition to other checklists we use there are many resources at this site. Poke around customize as needed for your application: http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-departure-trailer.shtml
DW and I swap lists and double check each others tasks. Multiple walk rounds & walk through's usually find $omething mi$$ed.

I've also cleaned with solvent my kingpin and hitch jaws and adhered reflective tape to the rear. This allows me a quick visual confirmation of my 5er connection. I use a lube plate, but use spray white lithium on the pin & jaws.

List or not, neighbors will always, never fails, want to come and chat during your departure / arrival procedure. Politely stay on task.

Happy trails.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Army Nurse- thanks for explaining details about what I glossed over in two items (Short Jack & Tug Test). My terms were not clear enough for someone new...
I'm pretty new myself, having just bought ours a little over a year ago. I've learned a lot from everyone on this forum. It's a great resource.