Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Choosing a fifth wheel

I know the subject has been beat to death...but, figured I'd ask anyways. My wife and I plan to taking a two year road trip, at least to start with. If we like it, we may make it longer. Who knows what life will hold two years from now. So - I have a 2016 F350 Powerstroke, 4x4, long bed, 3.55 gears as a tow vehicle. I know, should have got a dually, but I don't want one. We've been looking at new fifth wheels, and so far we like the DRV Mobile Suites (of course), the VanLeigh Vilano, and the Heartland Big Country. We like the front bedroom/rear living room so far. I know the DRV is probably to heavy for me. As this is our first shot at this, and we don't know if it's going beyond two years, we're looking at buying a used one, to keep our initial investment down. Any recommendations on a quality used rig that's not going to give us too many problems?

Second question - would air bags make a significant difference on towing ability/comfort? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can provide.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I know the subject has been beat to death...but, figured I'd ask anyways. My wife and I plan to taking a two year road trip, at least to start with. If we like it, we may make it longer. Who knows what life will hold two years from now. So - I have a 2016 F350 Powerstroke, 4x4, long bed, 3.55 gears as a tow vehicle. I know, should have got a dually, but I don't want one. We've been looking at new fifth wheels, and so far we like the DRV Mobile Suites (of course), the VanLeigh Vilano, and the Heartland Big Country. We like the front bedroom/rear living room so far. I know the DRV is probably to heavy for me. As this is our first shot at this, and we don't know if it's going beyond two years, we're looking at buying a used one, to keep our initial investment down. Any recommendations on a quality used rig that's not going to give us too many problems?

Second question - would air bags make a significant difference on towing ability/comfort? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can provide.
We have been looking for our next 5th wheel for quite awhile now. Have seen so many different makes and models that I had to start taking notes. A few months ago I thought I wanted an Arctic Fox but then I researched and viewed a Big Horn and wanted that. Then I learned of Solitude by Grand Design and we were in love. That is until we started looking at Cedar Creeks by Forest River.

Tomorrow we will go and view the first Vanleigh Vilano's to be shipped to the Portland Oregon area. From the pics and videos I've seen they look fabulous but it's more than just the looks that I'll be inspecting. As it stands right now we would buy a Cedar Creek (the Champagne edition is gorgeous!) but that could very well change tomorrow.
RJ of Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

You'll like the Vilano, I'd bet.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A few years ago we had a short list of 5th wheel units for our full timing plans. IMO I wouldn't look at any units that structurally didn't have at least a 12" "I" beam frame. Our short list left us with 1) Mobile Suites, 2) Landmark 3) Sanibel.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Akanavy:

If you're considering the Vilano, based on your truck, I'd look at the 325RL vice the 365RL. The 365 is heavy on the pin weight side, which is why we opted for a F350 dually. We got the 365RL right after Labor Day in 2015 and we love it. It's had some issues but VanLeigh stands behind their product. They have a dedicated service center in Belmont MS near the plant. We just got done with a week of fixing things we didn't even know were broken and we were a month and half out of the initial warranty.

In answer to your second question, we started out with a 3/4 ton Dodge pulling this thing. I added aftermarket air bags (Firestone) thinking that would help. In my opinion it seemed to make matters worse. When I'd start at the recommended PSI in the airbags, they would increase in pressure while driving down the road, lifting the front of FW. This increased chucking. I'm not adding airbags to our present truck as it doesn't need them.

It's not that the Dodge couldn't tow the FW, it's more about handling the pin weight and stopping this beast. DW insisted we go with a bigger truck. Happy wife, happy life.

Good luck on your decision and have safe travels.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies! I find that as I sit here researching all of these RV's, they all seem to have their share of problems. besides the 12" I beams, what are some must haves for full timing?

Does the Vilano's central electric controls have any issues? While convenient, all in one solutions make me a little leary.

I've read a few times recommendations to be wary of Lippert frames - what's the issue with them?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Four point hydraulic leveling is worth every penny. Makes setting up a breeze.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Just returned from viewing the Vilano

Did a quick amateurish video walk through...VERY amateurish. Will post it a bit latter but we were impressed to say the least. I'm not talking about just the looks and finish, which blew us away, but attention to detail and quality as well. We will be ordering a 325RL very soon and we can't wait!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #9

Look for a leftover Lifestyle. They're one of the best ever made and their parent company went under this year, leaving this and other great brands high and dry. The upside of bankruptcy is dealers want to get rid of them quick and cheap, if there are even any left.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #10

Electric controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Thanks for the replies! I find that as I sit here researching all of these RV's, they all seem to have their share of problems. besides the 12" I beams, what are some must haves for full timing?

Does the Vilano's central electric controls have any issues? While convenient, all in one solutions make me a little leary.

I've read a few times recommendations to be wary of Lippert frames - what's the issue with them?

Thanks!
We had our original thermostat contol replaced the day after we took delivery. Since then, its worked like a charm.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #11

With a SRW 350, you are out of the DRV realm, except for possibly a 32' model. I see people pulling the larger ones, but...with a minimum of 4k pin weight, they are over on the rear axle.
Have heard several good comments on the Vilanos, but too new to have a track record, or used ones on the market.
Full-timing? Will you always be in a campground with power? If so, a residential fridge is a big plus. If you will want to dry-camp a lot, the res fridge is a little harder on the batteries. Water tank size is a big deal if dry-camping a lot, as are the holding tanks, not an issue for full hook-up camping.
Finding a 'quality used rig without problems' is...well...chancy, but probably no more than buying new. I always trust my first impression--if it looks good used, then maybe it was well maintained. Are there records available? Private sale or dealer?
pplmotorhomes.com and rvtrader.com are 2 excellent websites to gather pricing info and look at some floorplans. Keep in mind a used Excel or a HitchHiker, both had good reps before going out of business.
Good luck.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Good info here:

RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #13

Again,thanks for the info. I looked up the Lifestyles - nice trailers, but how is owning them now that the company is out of business? I'm not sure about buying a new RV from a company that's out of business. I do plan on spending some time boondocking, but I also plan on taking a portable generator with me.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #14

aknavy- here is the video I made when I went to look at the Vilano yesterday. I forgot to bring my GoPro so had to use my phone which is average at best for filming. Sorry for the poor quality and horrible narrating by me but gives you some idea.

https://youtu.be/vRAjYC22WeQ