Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #29

Heartland RV Club
I have the same fifth wheel ,the dealer had a F250 with hitch they were trying to sell me .the salesman said the F250 would be fine...I hitched up to the new Gateway and went for a little ride. The power was ok ,but the handling was not good,the trailer manhandled the truck.

I returned with a F350 crew cab long bed , hooked up and made the same trip. Big difference . easy choice for me

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #30

I pull a 32foot Cameo, about 14500pounds depending on how we load it, with a F-350 crewcab long box dually and it works well. It is also my daily driver and I don't have any issues, other than car washes. Just back into the parking spot at the store and sometimes part a few spots farther away. Another advantage is that with that heavy a 5'r if you ever blow a rear tire you have a much better chance of holding it on the road and getting to a safe place to do repairs than a SRW. I am a prof. semi driver with over 4 million miles and cannot count the number of accidents I've seen that could have been avoided with duals.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #31

We bought a 1t gmc dully - easily pulls our NUWA! We are new to this too and there is so much to learn! It is a world of wonder though so have fun!
nu2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #32

The newer Dually truck ride better than just a few years ago. I pull a 15,000 lb 5th wheel with my dually. I have never towed this trailer with a SRW truck.

I will say I am very happy with the way my rig goes down the road.

For a 41' trailer you need a dually truck to be safe. In about 6 months Ford will have it's answer to the Ram. From what I have read the Ram can be optioned with special engine chip and transmission to pull a 30,000lb. trailer. Not sure if it is a goose neck or 5th wheel rating. Ford F-350 dually will have a 26,500lb capacity for both 5th wheel and gooseneck.

The 2015 F-450 will have a higher gooseneck rating than Ram but a lower 5th wheel rating than Ram.

Ram, Ford, Chevy dually will all be close. Pick the dually you like the best. If it were me, I would wait to see the 2015 Ford Super Duty.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
The day we start pulling 30K with a 1T pickup is ridiculous. I'll stay out of the way. To jump 8K in towing from one year to the next is merely just pencil whipping the competition. I had hoped that Ford and GM not follow Ram, and would adhere to the new SAE tow rating standard, but of course they wouldn't.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #34

Congratulations on your new RV! Use this online weight calculator to eliminate all bias and confusion for properly and safely matching a truck to your new 5er. After you obtain the actual weights requested and use the calculator, you'll see a SRW vehicle is out of the question.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seriously, a dually is what you need for the trailer you picked. If you prefer a SRW really has no bearing on the correct truck. What determines the proper truck is the pinweight of the LOADED trailer. A 15500# GVWR trailer will have a pin weight close to 3100#. A SRW F350 or 3500 may be able to tow it within limits, but you will not have much room for cargo/passengers in the truck.

You will be much happier at the end of the day with a DRW and not have to worry about being over loaded.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #36

Excel Owners Club
I have a 3500HD SRW and am within all specs for the truck when towing my trailer loaded for a trip. I've logged 15+K miles towing, no problems or complaints.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #37

Ya the 2015 super duty is gonna be even sweeter than the current model!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #38

I got the most trailer I could get and still be safe (very lightly loaded trailer) with my current truck. I currently have a 2005 Dodge 2500 diesel tow vehicle. I think based on the weights you could tow your trailer with a truck like mine, however, you would not like it!! You need at least a 350/3500 and preferably dual rear wheels (just like almost everyone here has said). You would probably be even better off going up to a MDT (450 or 550 truck). In my mind, you can never have too much truck!

I'm upgrading my truck as soon as possible. Since my trailer's gross weight rating is a bit higher than yours and I'm planning on full-timing with it, my planned upgrade will be either a Kenworth, Freightliner, Peterbilt, or Volvo class 8 truck. (I've looked at a couple of Macks and Internationals, but the other brands were in better condition.) When full-timing fully loaded, I'll probably be just a bit shy of 18K in the trailer and some (Okay, a lot of) added payload in the truck as well. This in not a combination I am willing to trust with a 350/3500 truck. I'll require at least a 550 or better tow vehicle. I can get a class 8 rather than a 550 or 650, have a better truck, more options, more capacity, better towing and stopping capabilities for less money!

I wouldn't take any trailer weighing more than 13K into the mountains with a 350/3500 or less truck. I'm sure I could get up the mountain, its the stopping on the way down that would worry me.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #39

I only hit the brakes going down the mountains from nd to nv about twice in My f350. My trailers only 8-9k though, but the transmission/engine brake works awesome.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote