Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
City Water Connection Fills Water Tank

I have a 2016 Heartland Gateway 3400 SE. Recently, a few hours after I had hooked up the water hose to the RV's "City Water" connection, the water tank began overflowing out the overflow valve under the RV. There should be no way that the "City Water" could be flowing into and filling the RV water tank. I haven't had time yet to take in for repair. Just wondering if anyone else with a Heartland rig has had the same problem. There should be some sort of check valve that would not allow the city water to flow into the RV water tank. I'm guessing a bad water pump in the RV.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

City Water Connection Fills Water Tank

Yes The check valve after water pump is no good or missing the waters flowing past it and back into your tank. I think new pumps have them built in
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #3

RV Water Pumps have had internal check valves for years....many years.

Could just be debris holding the check valve (flapper/diaphragm) open.
Installers don't cleanup after cutting holes/installing fittings etc in fresh water tank.
Suction strainer on pump should catch junk but doesn't always happen.

Use your pump.........run a full tank thru it.
Sometimes that will clear pump and allow check valve to function.
Course you will need to clear aerators on faucets.

This of course is IF you have a gravity fill for fresh water tank and not a 'fill' valve on a water panel. Fill valve could also allow fresh water tank to overfill when connected to city water if open or leaking thru.

Depending on how much water you had in tank.....filled to overflow in few hours is pretty quick for a leaking check valve.

From one 'salt' to another....THANKS! for your service.
USN.....Machinist Mate E4/E5/E4-E3/E4
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

I had the same problem with mine when it was new. I ran the pump to empty half the water out and has worked great since. It was the check valve in the pump allowing water to backflow into the tank
Old 02-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have had this happen on my previous fiver and the current one ONLY when I accidentally turned-on the water pump even for a second. Once the pump is turned off, city water disconnect and reconnected next time, no issue. I'm not saying that it is NOT a faulty check valve but at any rate it only happened to me with a quick "on" flick of the water pump when connected to city water.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I have had this happen on my previous fiver and the current one ONLY when I accidentally turned-on the water pump even for a second. Once the pump is turned off, city water disconnect and reconnected next time, no issue. I'm not saying that it is NOT a faulty check valve but at any rate it only happened to me with a quick "on" flick of the water pump when connected to city water.

That IS strange seeing as pump won't actually run when turned on and city water hooked up UNLESS city water pressure is lower than pump discharge.

Power to pump doesn't change anything until pump pressure switch closes allowing motor to start.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Hi,
We just upgraded to a KZ 5er toy hauler and what you describe is exactly how we fill the fresh water tank on our unit. Moving up from a pop-up and travel trailer, I searched for two days for the fresh water fill port. I finally contacted KZ and was told that the city water connection is also used to fill the fresh water tank. Under our bathroom sink cabinet are several valves used for isolating between fresh water fill, city water, and pumping in anti-freeze for winterization. Before you haul your unit in for repair, you might want to check your owner's manual to make sure you don't have the same setup. Might be something as simple as opening and/or closing a couple valves.
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

I just had the same thing happen to my Gateway during our trip to the beach last week. It's the check valve in the pump that is leaking back into the fresh tank. I took mine apart but didn't really see the problem. The leak on mine is slow so I may just see if it clears up after I run the pump for a while. If it doesn't stop I may see if I can find an inline check valve to put in the pex line between the pump and tank.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:56 AM   #9

Same problem on our 2016 Chaparral. Isn't the pump check valve. It's the ball valve at the water control station allowing about 15% of water to seep past it into the tank. Takes about 8 hours to fill the freshwater tank completely. It's a steady trickle if I leave the low point drain open. I installed a new ball valve in the hose that is used to fill the freshwater tank and then pulls water from it once the control center valve is switched to System Use and the pump is turned on. It's a workaround until I decide to cut all the small pieces of PEX and replace the OEM valve at the water control station. I totally don't want the dealer touching it as I have little faith in their ability to actually fix the problem.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Glad you found the problem. I've done some "pex" work in my S&B , brass fittings are I think pricy. And the good tool for crimping is pricy also.
If I were you I'd do it myself too. Why is it that so many of us find no faith in dealership mechanics. Certainly there're some good ones out there but it just seems there's more dud's.
I was good friends with an automotive teacher in a votech school. He swore that there is a need to establish a training and certification program for RV's technicians . You would think that the RV manufacturers Assoc. as a group would sponsor such training.
When you think about it an RV has a variety of systems, electrical, mechanical, hydraulics, plumbing, HVAC, woodworking, my gosh it's overwhelming.
Sorry to go off topic.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Glad you found the problem. I've done some "pex" work in my S&B , brass fittings are I think pricey. And the good tool for crimping is pricey also.
CLIFF
clifford j
Flair-It fittings and valves are an easy to use alternative to "crimp on fittings" when working with PEX water lines.
Flair-It | The Best in Pex Fittings for Over 25 Years

Most RV stores, hardware stores and big box stores sell Flair-It fittings.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
I just had the same thing happen to my Gateway during our trip to the beach last week. It's the check valve in the pump that is leaking back into the fresh tank. I took mine apart but didn't really see the problem. The leak on mine is slow so I may just see if it clears up after I run the pump for a while. If it doesn't stop I may see if I can find an inline check valve to put in the pex line between the pump and tank.

Shurflo In-Line Check Valve

SHURflo In-Line Check Valve - $10.94
Old 02-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
It's the check valve in the pump that is leaking back into the fresh tank. I took mine apart but didn't really see the problem. The leak on mine is slow so I may just see if it clears up after I run the pump for a while. If it doesn't stop I may see if I can find an inline check valve to put in the pex line between the pump and tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Shurflo In-Line Check Valve
SHURflo In-Line Check Valve - $10.94
justafordguy
Here's one for $4.42.

Camco 1/2 in. Brass Back Flow Preventer-23303 - The Home Depot
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #14

I had the same issue when my trailer was new. It was intermittent and it is the pump. I received a new pump under warranty. As the pump is easy to access, I installed a manual valve in front of the pump. End of problem and I now have a spare pump. I only have to change the valve position when I switch from city water to on board water.
hughtruex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water