Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Cleaning 5th Wheel

We purchased our 1st RV last fall and we are ready to clean it up before hitting the road.

There are so many products on the market for cleaning and waxing it's hard to decide which to use. I also have black streaks which need to be removed.

Recommendations for products that work well or those to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
fanparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
without knowing what kind of surfaces your are cleaning, I'll assume a typical 5th wheel.

For the roof and sides I generally use Simple Green. Inexpensive but cleans very well. Get a long extendable pole and a soft and medium bristle brush. I got mine at an RV show, but CW has them too.

My end caps were very oxidized and did not shine anymore at all. I used SPECIALTY KITS: FIBERGLASS RESTORATION SYSTEM: Meguiar's Marine/RV with a variable speed random motion polisher. It took 2 days of work, but the end caps shine like new. I will do the sides too this summer, but my back surgery needs to heal first. The sides aren't oxidized, but they are smudged from when I tried Renew 3000 last year, it really did a terrible job.

The inside is like cleaning a house so use the same products you use at home.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use the same things I use on my other vehicles.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

Add a few ounces of bleach to the wash water and whatever soap/cleaning solution you prefer. The bleach helps remove black streaks, mold and mildew from plastic/vinyl trim, awning covers, etc.
The new finishes like Poly-glow, get good reviews by users, but I've never tried one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #5

Lots and lots of elbow grease.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanparent View Post
We purchased our 1st RV last fall and we are ready to clean it up before hitting the road.

There are so many products on the market for cleaning and waxing it's hard to decide which to use. I also have black streaks which need to be removed.

Recommendations for products that work well or those to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
I was told by a detail guy about a product called Awesome. It can be purchased at Dollar General it different sizes, one in a spray bottle. I purchased some and tried it on a black streak, and it seemed to remove it right away. I have not had the chance to try it around, but first use was impressive. It has several other uses which can be found on their website..Awesome Cleaner
5ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

We went to a rally in Goshen, IN in June. Before we left I washed the 5er, and waxed it with Nu Finish, putting 2 coats on the front cap. The day before we left the rally, we got a call & were hired to work camp on the Front Range of CO. We went home to KC, MO for 1 full day, & hit the road for CO. We were gone for about 4 months. I wanted to wash it while there, but decided that it would be a waste of time because the wind was almost always blowing, & it was so dusty. When we got home the front cap was almost black with bugs, and there were major black streaks on the sides in the front & rear. I finally bit the bullet & started washing it. I was amazed, I took the hose & wet down the front cap to start the bugs to soaking. After 2-3 soakings, a lot of the bugs came off with just the hose. I started scrubbing with the (soft) brush on a pole that I use to wash the 5er & truck with. I'd say that about 90% of the bugs came off with that, & the tougher ones I used the car wash mitt to get with no hard scrubbing! The black streaks came off with the brush, & just soap & water! Now comes the fun job of waxing it again. BTW, water was still beading up so I guess the wax was still doing it's job.
tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote