Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
B/C

Sorry if these questions have been ask before but we are new to this site.

We just bought a used 2001 sunnybrook 5th wheel which seems to be in great shape.
#1 Problem is even though it has been washed often the sides (aluminum)are very streakey (light & dark) plus lots of black streaks what do we need to do to bring the aluminum back to it's original shine?

#2 When parking the 5th whell in a campground for extented periods (6 months or longer) of time should we put the tires up on wood or is it ok to use those plactic level blocks?

B/C sorry for any mispellings ( I guess I'm not smarter than a 5th grader)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
B/C

Sorry if these questions have been ask before but we are new to this site.

We just bought a used 2001 sunnybrook 5th wheel which seems to be in great shape.
#1 Problem is even though it has been washed often the sides (aluminum)are very streakey (light & dark) plus lots of black streaks what do we need to do to bring the aluminum back to it's original shine?

#2 When parking the 5th whell in a campground for extented periods (6 months or longer) of time should we put the tires up on wood or is it ok to use those plactic level blocks?

B/C sorry for any mispellings ( I guess I'm not smarter than a 5th grader)

Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #3

B/C welcome to the family! We all try to help each other as our knowledge and experiences allow. Go to iespell.com and download the free spell checker. I use it every time, otherwise I would appear very qwerty challenged. Now if I just had a proof-reader.
Those black streaks are just airborne dirt that settled on your trailer roof and washed down the sides. I wash my RV with car wash soap and 2-3 ounces of bleach in a 5 gallon pail of water. This appears to remove the black streaks as well as mold and mildew.
If you plan to leave your trailer in place for 6 months it is best to jack the trailer up to get the weight off the suspension. You should keep in mind tires are limited to a 6 year warranty for a reason, some 5, some even 4 years. Tires deteriorate from the inside-out. This indicates your tires may well require replacement after storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you are going to jack your rig up to get the weight off the tires, make sure you support the frame in the area od the tires. If you don't, the middle of the trailer may sag and could actually bend the frame.

I have never jacked any of my trailers up and have never had any tire issues, other than normal wear.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I don't know how it would work with aluminium but I use liquid spic and span (the orange colored type) to was my roof and the sides of my fiberglass trailer. I use it full strength and spray it onto my wet car washing brush before scrubbing. I rinse it off right away and do small sections at a time. It is great for removing bugs too. I then wash the trailer(not the roof though) with a good car wash that has wax in it like armor all or turtle wax. Leaves the 5ver looking clean and shiny.

Our trailer is parked on an asphalt driveway most of its life except when we use it on weekends and other than the landing gear and rear stabilizersd it sits on the tires. I have not had any problems with it at all.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
B/C If you plan to leave your trailer in place for 6 months it is best to jack the trailer up to get the weight off the suspension. You should keep in mind tires are limited to a 6 year warranty for a reason, some 5, some even 4 years. Tires deteriorate from the inside-out. This indicates your tires may well require replacement after storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you jack the 5'er up?I have never heard of anybody doing this?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1Woody:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
B/C If you plan to leave your trailer in place for 6 months it is best to jack the trailer up to get the weight off the suspension. You should keep in mind tires are limited to a 6 year warranty for a reason, some 5, some even 4 years. Tires deteriorate from the inside-out. This indicates your tires may well require replacement after storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you jack the 5'er up?I have never heard of anybody doing this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What other method do you propose to remove the wheels, or remove the weight from the suspension?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #8

To each their own.They sit that way for years with no problem.