Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

cleaning carpets

looking for input on cleaning the living room carpet in our 5r . Don' know if to use rug doctor with all the water or go thr dry clean (resolve) route

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

I always used our Hoover Steam Vac on ours. Also used it on any fabric such as seats. I can't imagine water hurting carpet as long as you don't soak the carpet. The carpets look sooooo good afterwords you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

thanks for the fast reply our 5r is 1 year old wondering how often we can clean without hurting or damaging the sub floor live in midwest and sometimes the humidy is "air u can wear"
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Cat

I clean our carpets 3-4 a year with a Bissel carpet cleaner- hot water and the cleaner soap. I try not to get the carpet too wet. After I'm done cleaning I have some fans I turn on and let them blow across the carpets until dry. So far no problems (5 years) but I do live in Tucson AZ. So they dry in 1 hour.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
wondering how often we can clean without hurting or damaging the sub floor live in midwest and sometimes the humidy is "air u can wear"
Run the air conditioner on the day(s) you clean carpets so humidity will not be an issue inside. I clean our motorhome carpets with Resolve once per month when we are on the road. I rent a wet, high suction cleaner from a local store in the spring before we leave and in the fall when we return to give the carpets a thorough cleaning.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #6

I use the Bissel Shampoo Machine every few months depending on our use. I vacuum after each trip or weekly when we are using it for extended stays, but when you see the color of the water recovered from shampooing, dark brown, it makes you wonder how you lived with all that dirt in the carpet. Like others, I turn on the air and set some fans around until dry. I also use Resolve for spot treatments in between times.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks
I use the Bissel Shampoo Machine every few months depending on our use. I vacuum after each trip or weekly when we are using it for extended stays, but when you see the color of the water recovered from shampooing, dark brown, it makes you wonder how you lived with all that dirt in the carpet. Like others, I turn on the air and set some fans around until dry. I also use Resolve for spot treatments in between times.
We did this for years, it worked but finally gave up. We installed vinyl lamimate this year. Threw away the vaccum, shampoo machine, shampoo, hand vac, ect. Replaced it all with a simple broom. Life is now good and healthy
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcruzin1 View Post
looking for input on cleaning the living room carpet in our 5r . Don' know if to use rug doctor with all the water or go thr dry clean (resolve) route
I use Capture Dry Carpet Cleaner. Works GREAT!!!!! You can find it at the blue "Big Box" store. (Might have to ask for it.)
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For about $100 Stanley Steamer will do it for you. They can get in all the corners, under all the chairs and even do the chairs. They can put Scotch Guard on also which seems to help.

Jerry
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

X2 for Capture. Seems to be the same as Resolve. Do it on hands and knees with scrub brush. Not that big. Recently changed living room to laminant wood after 18 yrs.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Out of necessity from a splattered pot of spaghetti sauce and stores were closed to rent a machine, we purchased a Bissell Steam Vac. It's small enuf to fit in master closet and clothes hang around it. Do carpets 2 times a year. Have been cleaning ourselves for 7 years. As others say you have control over how wet to get carpet and run air conditioning after cleaning. Any way you opt for...it always feels and looks gr8 afterwards.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
For the life of our fifth wheel (5 seasons) I had a local carpet cleaning company come in every year to clean the carpets. They did a great job and my carpets looked brand new when I traded it in Saturday!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #13

I posted in the other carpet cleaning thread and haven't gotten a response yet, so maybe someone subscribed to this thread will know the answer.

I have a Bissell X2 ProHeat. It says to use hot tap water and to not boil or microwave the water or it can destroy the bladder. Is the water in a MH water heater too hot?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Never mind. It didn't destroy my bladder. My ProHeat 2X cleaned better than the dealer did after they replaced my motor.

I used full strength Totally Awesome in the solution reservoir. I don't know the dilution ratio or even if there is any dilution, but it didn't hurt the carpet.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote