Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Coachman Brookstone 5r

Anyone out there with experience with Brookstone 5r's good or bad?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

I looked at the Coachman Brookstone about two years ago and made a offer that was accepted pending a few mods. I wanted much of the carpet removed and replaced with wood look beaufloor. A few days later the dealer said they could not get the wood look and the deal fell thru.

I really liked the unit on the surface. Very nice 5er.

Since then I learned to look at the frame, axles, and tires. Make sure it has at least 12" I-beam frame and not a 10" frame and 7,000 lbs axles and good tires. 17.5 " is better than 16".

Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

hi tuffr2,

This will be my 3rd 5r. This "upgrade" is to make Rving easier & more comfortable. A bigger fridge for the wife & easier housekeeping. For me it's auto leveling, power awning & smoother travailing with MOR/ryde suspension & TrailAire pin box. Axles are Dexter 7K but tires are known poor Chinese imports. They offer option of Goodyear G rated for an extra 2K but that's overkill. E rated is sufficient. I will swap out the cheap tires for Carlisle's and save about 1K+. Looking into the frame construction per your advice. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keno5839 View Post
hi tuffr2,

This will be my 3rd 5r. This "upgrade" is to make Rving easier & more comfortable. A bigger fridge for the wife & easier housekeeping. For me it's auto leveling, power awning & smoother travailing with MOR/ryde suspension & TrailAire pin box. Axles are Dexter 7K but tires are known poor Chinese imports. They offer option of Goodyear G rated for an extra 2K but that's overkill. E rated is sufficient. I will swap out the cheap tires for Carlisle's and save about 1K+. Looking into the frame construction per your advice. Thanks!
We have had a Brookstone 365RL for 2 years. I replaced the axles with the Mor-Ryde IS rubber independent suspension and changed the tires and wheels to 17" and got rid of the Trail Air for a Mor_Ryde pin box. It has made two trips to Alaska, and a trip to Indiana and return, around 18,000 miles total. There have been no issues with the frame or the structural integrity of the trailer.

We did have issues with the bottom of the slide leaking when traveling in heavy road spray. We think we got that fixed, will know for sure when we get it out of storage in the spring. Overall, we are quite happy with it.
Terry
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Thanks Terry,
Why the switch from TrailAire to MORY/Ride pin box? They seemed to be quite similar. If there is a compelling reason, I'll not order it and have the dealer put in the MORY. I'm listening!!!
Ken
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

I have a Mor-Ryde pin box on my current 5er. Since this is my 1st 5er and it came with this pin box I do not know what 'chucking' is. From what I have read I really like the Mor-Ryde pin box. With that plus Mor-Ryde suspension on the trailer the rig goes down the road great.

I am waiting to hear also why a change from Trail-Air as I thought it was also a very good pin box...unless you get a leak in the blader.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keno5839 View Post
Thanks Terry,
Why the switch from TrailAire to MORY/Ride pin box? They seemed to be quite similar. If there is a compelling reason, I'll not order it and have the dealer put in the MORY. I'm listening!!!
Ken
It is quite possible to load the trailer so the Trail Air air bag is maxed out and quits working, and the air bag only cushions up and down movement. The Mor-Ryde has lateral movement that cushions the "chucking" or jerky fore-aft movement towing on a not smooth road. It also allows missing the perfect alignment when hooking up as it will give a bit side to side without forcing the trailer to slide on the landing gear.

There are pin boxes that claim to dampen both lateral and vertical movement. We found we were only concerned with the lateral, and the Mor-Ryde works.

Also, consider the tires. You will have 12,000lbs on them, so you want a tire rated at 4,000lbs or more so that you are only loading them to around 80% or less.
Terry