Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coachman Chaparral

Am looking at the bunkhouse models to suit our family. Anyone have any comments about this brand or model?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHunter View Post
Am looking at the bunkhouse models to suit our family. Anyone have any comments about this brand or model?
Hi Barb and Mike,

I am having a hard time finding much information about the Coachmen lines (Chaparral or Brookstone). The web site doesn't have much detail, there is limited activity on the various forums, there doesn't seem to be as large of a "community" of owners, and the factory rep we came across, while cordial, is not overly eager to help (as compared to Open Range Rep). Though the information I see on the web is largely negative, there isn't a whole lot of it posted.

All that being said, we really like one of their floor plans and I am really struggling to bring myself to the purchase with "limited" factory backing and the lack of warm fuzzies that I have gotten when dealing with Open Range and to a slightly lesser extent, Heartland. Coachmen has been around A LONG TIME so you would think there would be a HUGE support base and great customer service channels but I am a bit skeptical of all that right now.

Someone with first hand knowledge, please step in and set me straight (or confirm my fears) for the sake of BDHunter and me!

P.S. BDHunter, I see you are coming from a Tiffin Bunkhouse Coach. Can you tell me more about your decision to go Coach to Trailer? I am trying to convince the wife to go the other way but she won this round.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Hi Mammalian,
Trading down to restructure payments for when I retire in ~2 years. Got a GREAT deal on a dodge 3500 and we only intend to be part timers, not full timers
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We signed on the coachman chaparral today. Insurance goes from over $2K/year to a little over $400/yr. My payments on my 5W will be 1/2 what my MH were. I'm no longer going to pay engine maintenance on my toad Jeep AND a motor home....looking forward to joining the community of 5W'ers and having a good deal more disposable income.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Nice! Congratulations! Post up some photos and let us know how you like it!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #6

Photos please!!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
New Coachman

New 2016 Coachman Chaparral 39QSMB (and new to us 2010 Ram 3500 megacab with dually wheels. I'll figure out how to change our signature block at some point to properly acknowledge our new toys!

Happy camping, all!
BDHunter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	390QSMB.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	93636   Click image for larger version

Name:	vp3996173_2.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	93637  

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	93638  
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

Wow, that's a fine looking rig.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Hey that's a nice setup, sorry for coming in late as I don't get online to much. My wife and I purchased a NEW Coachman chapparal in 2013. we looked for over a year at fifth wheels as we were upgrading from a little 24 ft bumper pull with no slides. We have had our chapparral to Wyoming, Montana, Wisconsin, and Kansas. Never a issue yet to date. We have 279BHS with bunks in the rear and outside kitchen. What led us to ours was floor plan and construction of our particular unit compared to others available to us in our area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130727_122148_675.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	94406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09609.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	94407