Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Cold Weather Prep

I'm in Arco ,Id today, and the lows have been in the 40's. Tomorrow we will be on the outskirts of Yellowstone, and apparently it will be in the low 30's on Thursday and below freezing on Friday. Not being from the cold part of the world, and never having used my trailer in the real wx, what can I do to keep my tanks, lines valves etc. from freezing? I have the Montana Mountaineer, and I pretty sure everything is good with the exception of the City water connection area. I'm thinking of putting my little space heater in that compartment overnight. Any help will be appreciated. Were full-time now , so I guess I better learn quick. First off I didn't think it would be freezing up there yet, but that is what the camp host told me this morning.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Not sure what you have but the answer is always a combination of heat and insulation. Styrofoam and reflectix are easy to cut to size and can be layered. Use the internal water supply and you will not need to worry about filler lines. If you have an outside shower insulate the outside of it or figure out how to bring it in.

Dealing with low 30's is not too bad as all it takes is keeping the area a few degrees warmer at night. Prolonged below freezing is a different story. As an example I have gotten away with below freezing in my outside shower by putting a piece of styrofoam cut around the valves and another one over than under the door then leave the cupboard open the the shower backs into. Probably lost some heat but nothing froze.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Ok, thanks. I think I will use the water tank.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Notice that you say you have a Mountaineer but your signature says Windjammer.

Saw from a previous post that you recently upgraded to a new unit. Very exciting.

Tried the Keystone site but was unable to find much about any of their units. The Montanas I have see seem to be of good quality construction and well featured.

As such I assume you have a belly pan and a heated basement. This should keep everything underneath warm enough to live quite handily at below freezing temperatures. You will have to confirm what I am assuming.

As long as you have the furnace running on a regualar basis the underneath should fare well. Putting a heater under will not hurt but be sure that it will not fall over (unless has a shutoff switch) or it is near any combustables.

Just another great RV adventure about to be experienced.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

Thx for that info. Yes We do have the Montana 375 flf Mountaineer, with the heated covered under belly. All the valves are supposed to be heated also. Not sure if thats from the furnace ducting or tape wrap. Since theres no switch for tank heaters like the Windjammer had, Im thinking just duct work. To be on the safe side, Im just going to run the pump anf F/W tk.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You should easily be good to 25 or colder without too much additional work insulating.

I suggest you keep an eye on how the trailer performs in the evening when it gets cold. If the furnace seems to be having issues with keeping up you may have issues. I doubt that will be the case. IMO Montana's are a quality build.

Keep an eye on the water. If you are a bit of a gambler leave the heat on overnight without any extra heaters. In the morning turn on the taps and see if the water runs. If it goes full tilt you are golden, if it starts slow and then picks up the lines are partially frozen so additional heat would help, if nothing runs you will have to add the heat as you are frozen. If this occurs at 25 or better you may have an issue and should add extra insulation and consider parking in the deep south.

I will lay my money on full tilt if the overnight temps are 25 or better.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Sounds good. I filled the f/w tk, and then dis-connected the water hose that goes to the city fill. I'm going to run it like that tonight. Low 30's, tomorrow will be in the upper 20's. No one else here seems to be concerned.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
How did it go? I believe you were warm and toasty and are now planning to head south where it is much warmer and you don't need a winter coat. LOL

We are heading south soon.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #9

Ha Ha, yeah we made it just fine. Missed the snow by 2 days, but now that were in Rapid City SD its supposed to snow on Thursday, and be in the 20' s for the low until then. Were doing good though. Thanks for checking up on us. We are definetly headed stright South West from here after next Monday.

Tags
cold weather