Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Coleman central a/c unit freezing

We usually camp in early spring/late fall so have only used the central air one time. This year we couldn't get away until first of June so we need a/c. It was fine the first few days but then started dripping from the cover. I got up on the roof and pulled off the cover and inner metal cover and one side was completely iced over. I didn't see any blockage and cleaned the filter on the cover up on the ceiling. That didn't help. I saw what looks like a valve to charge the unit but most say it can't be done.

Thank goodness the previous owner installed another a/c in the bedroom as it works fine. I do like the central unit better as it cools the whole place and shuts off just like home when the temperature is reached.

The unit is on my 1994 Tourmaster 5th wheel so I'm sure it's 20 years old.

Thanks
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

The only time I've had an AC freeze up is when I've had the temperature setting to the max cold setting. I just don't turn it to the coldest setting anymore.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
We usually camp in early spring/late fall so have only used the central air one time. This year we couldn't get away until first of June so we need a/c. It was fine the first few days but then started dripping from the cover. I got up on the roof and pulled off the cover and inner metal cover and one side was completely iced over. I didn't see any blockage and cleaned the filter on the cover up on the ceiling. That didn't help. I saw what looks like a valve to charge the unit but most say it can't be done.

Thank goodness the previous owner installed another a/c in the bedroom as it works fine. I do like the central unit better as it cools the whole place and shuts off just like home when the temperature is reached.

The unit is on my 1994 Tourmaster 5th wheel so I'm sure it's 20 years old.

Thanks
The most common causes are 1-dirty coils 2-dirty filters 3-blower motor not running at full rpm 4-low on refrigerant. Other causes not so common. 1-restriction in system 2-expansion valve faulty (if you have one).
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Try running your fan on high when you use the air after you defrost it. If it has a defrost sensor make sure it is mounted at the coil to detect ice-usually at the second coil up from the bottom.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
The most common causes are 1-dirty coils 2-dirty filters 3-blower motor not running at full rpm 4-low on refrigerant. Other causes not so common. 1-restriction in system 2-expansion valve faulty (if you have one).
Spot on.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Another way they will freeze is if the supply/return air divider has slipped out of the way or the gasket between them has failed. This allows chilled air to be drawn right back up into the unit - will cause freezing quickly.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Also, the ice itself will give you an indication of what to check. White frosty ice is usually an air flow problem and hard clear ice is a plugged drain normally.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #8

Thanks all. The ice was clear and pretty thick on the side of the fins. First thing I noticed when I got on the roof and pulled off the cover was that there wasn't any water draining from the unit. In fact the area where it should be draining from was completely dry.

When I get it home I'll pull everything off and check it out.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Thanks all. The ice was clear and pretty thick on the side of the fins. First thing I noticed when I got on the roof and pulled off the cover was that there wasn't any water draining from the unit. In fact the area where it should be draining from was completely dry.

When I get it home I'll pull everything off and check it out.
That tells me your drain is the problem. Hopefully an easy fix!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #10

I'll keep you posted
Old 06-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
looks like most people missed you saying you saw valve that looks like it was installed to charge unit. if it is charging valve then your unit might be low on ref.
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #12

Well, that's what I thought too, but like you said nobody mentioned it.

I'll still take it apart and make sure it's clean and then see how I can get it charged.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
looks like most people missed you saying you saw valve that looks like it was installed to charge unit. if it is charging valve then your unit might be low on ref.
See post number 3 item number 4 "low on refrigerant"
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote