Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Colorado

We are taking our first long trip in our 5th wheeler and are in Denver. We plan to go to
Gunnison and then on to Durango starting tomorrow. How are the roads for pulling a 30 foot RV ? Any suggestions for the best route/roads to Gunnison/Durango ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKent View Post
We are taking our first long trip in our 5th wheeler and are in Denver. We plan to go to
Gunnison and then on to Durango starting tomorrow. How are the roads for pulling a 30 foot RV ? Any suggestions for the best route/roads to Gunnison/Durango ?
The way I went was to go down to Hwy 50 (whichever way is easiest for you depending where you are in Denver) and take that to Gunnison. My preference from Gunnison to Durango is the long way. Go to Montrose and then take 550 to Ridgeway, take 62 to 145 to 184 (just east of Dolores) to 160 at Mancos and then 160 on to Durango. This is a longer way to go than 50, 149 and 550, but just as pretty and much safer. Some will advocate 50 from Gunnison to 149 to 550, but I feel that is potentially dangerous for someone who is not used to a semi-large rig on their first trip.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
KIX

I have to agree with Golden. Hwy 550 from Ouray up to Silverton is no the road you want to travel unless you are very comfortable with 2 lane mountainous roads with no guard rails. then from Silverton down the mountain to Durango doesn't have quite the pucker factor but you'll be using low gears and/or lots of brakes on the way downhill.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Two years ago we traveled from Ouray to Silverton to Durango with our 31' Fleetwood Fiesta. The only thing I did was to disconnect the Toad and had the wife drive it following me. The road was no sweat. Most of it had a 25 mph speed limit. I kept an eye on the rear view mirror and when traffic started backing up I pulled over and let them by. If I was doing the speed limit I didn't worry too much about the traffic behind me. At least in that direction you are against the mountain and not looking down 500'.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Two years ago we traveled from Ouray to Silverton to Durango with our 31' Fleetwood Fiesta. The only thing I did was to disconnect the Toad and had the wife drive it following me. The road was no sweat. Most of it had a 25 mph speed limit. I kept an eye on the rear view mirror and when traffic started backing up I pulled over and let them by. If I was doing the speed limit I didn't worry too much about the traffic behind me. At least in that direction you are against the mountain and not looking down 500'.
The OP mentions that he will be towing a 5th wheel.........they track a little different than a motorhome.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am usually a no sweat guy. However this section of 550 was featured on america's most dangerous roads. I drove this in my toad. I left my motorhome at Durango.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick replies. We are going to go the route Golden recommended , sounds like a safer trip.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Durango from the East

Advice on roads from Colby Kansas to Durango? How is 160 across Colorado?

jfolktns is offline   Reply With Quote