Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Columbus 320RS vs. Jayco Premier 361REQS

DH has narrowed it down to these 2 units? Any info about either to finalize the decision.
campingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

We've had our Columbus 320RS about 8 weeks and took it on a 6500 mile trip out west, so of course I'm partial. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have. You also might want to check out this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/379970242092901/
skipperw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

my preference would be the Jayco .... 2 year warranty .... power coated frame which is so strong that with a 4 point auto leveling system that is much stronger than the frame of the Columbus which requires a 6 point leveling system and often need additional stabilizers, the Pinnacle with auto leveling doesn't have rear stabilizers .... independently tested by Dometic and certified from 0 to 100 degrees .... insulated slide floors

Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

I might add respectfully that the Columbus does not 'require' a 6 point leveling system, and in fact, the 320RS has as options a 4 point or a 6 point auto leveling system, both of which are in lieu of the electric rear stabilizers. The 4 point consists of the front landing gear and power jacks several feet behind the rear wheels. The 6 way adds another set of power jacks in front of the rear wheels that act more as stabilizers than levelers (they don't engage until after the unit is leveled using the other 4 points). We have the 6 way leveling with JT Strongarms and it is a very solid setup. Also the Columbus has a 2nd year full factory warranty available thru Forest River for a token $150. I'm sure you'll be happy whatever your choice.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

interesting .... the only leveling system I've seen advertised on the Columbus is the 6 point Lippert system .... it is good to see yours with the additional JT Strongarms is solid .... Jayco's 4 point leveling system is by Atwood and on the Pinnacle doesn't require any additional stabilization .... when I was looking at Forest River 5ers, the $150 second year warranty only covers components which for the most part come with a 2 year warranty from their manufactures .... it doesn't cover components made by Forest River .... with the exception of tires and battery, Jayco's 2 year warranty is bumper to bumper .... hopefully which ever they choose will serve them well

Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

I didn't just look at the FR extended warranty....I have it, and it's a full factory warranty, period. As to the JT Strongarms, while technically stabilizers, they are integrated with the leveling system and are quite easy to use.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
If the Jayco warranty is the same as it was when we owned our Designers, it's a 2+3 warranty. 2 years bumper-to-bumper with an additional 3 years (5 total) structural warranty. I know that Jayco's customer service has an outstanding reputation; they certainly took care of us, even with buyout items such as a duff Norcold cooling unit, getting it replaced in 4 days by a non-Jayco independent service facility when the selling dealer was booked up and (supposedly) couldn't get to us. That included the time required for the non-Jayco service facility to order, receive and install the replacement cooling unit.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

there is no technically to it .... JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers are just that .... they are designed to be attached to 5'ers and TT's with or without auto leveling systems ... for folks who have campers that expose them to more movement than they are comfortable with, adding JT's is an excellent item to consider .... they do work smoothly .... when we had a Bigfoot Auto Leveling system added to our Sunnybrook Titan shown below, the fellow who installed it custom made a set of stabilizers that are patterned in the mode of JT's .... with our camper's triple stacked box tube frame it is rock solid so there has never been a need to tighten them .... the bottom line is, the softer/weaker a camper's frame, the more support it needs to eliminate movement .... the frame on a camper needing a 6 point system with additional stabilizers isn't as firm/strong as one that only needs 4 points of support .... as noted, the 6 point systems with additional stabilization do work but that doesn't change the reason such systems are required .... the second year warranty from Forest River does cover many things but it doesn't provide the same coverage as the first year

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120609 001b Estelline Site.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	37345  
Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #9

We have a 320RS and have been very happy with it.
Some of the features I really like are:
1) 30" X 60" shower. If haven't already, go stand in one and compare it.
2) Standard Microwave/Convection oven with gas oven.
3) 100" wide. Those 4" make a big difference.
4) Movable island. Makes it very convenient when you want more floor space.
5) I like the fact that we sit directly in front of the TV. It is much more comfortable than having to turn 90 degrees to watch it.
6) R30 insulation in the floor AND roof; R9 in the walls.
7) 6 sided welded aluminum frame. No wood trusses for the floor.
8) There is a light inside the shower, great for those late nite showers.
9) The sleeper sofa is longer than most I've seen in fivers. There is no inflatable air mattress that will eventually leak. I had one in my previous fiver and this one is much more comfortable.
10) My local Jayco dealer is a joke. They sold me my first TT and their service was so bad, I went else where when I bought my next RV.
I also took the time to actually read the Forest River extended warranty I received from Columbus and it does exactly that, extends the 1 year warranty to two years. The extended covers everything the first year warranty does.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #10

Can the Columbus or Jayco be used as a fulltime unit and be insured accordingly?
campingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #11

Can't speak for the Jayco, but I know 2 people that are using a Columbus to full time. Check with your insurance agent.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote