Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

Combining grey water tanks

I have two grey water holding tanks on my rig. One for the kitchen and one for the bathroom sink and shower. I would like to plumb them so that that they would act as one holding tank. Anyone have any suggestions on how hard it would be to do this? I don't know how close the tanks are to each other under the flooring or what obstacles would be in the way of any piping I have to add. I have a Danila 31 footer with an enclosed under belly. I ask Thor about how to go about this in an e-mail, but heard nothing from them. I've searched the internet for any how information information, but no hits.

The drain valves for the grey water are on each side of the black water drain. I guess this means my black water tank in the middle of the grey tanks.

Any suggestion please...

Thanks,

Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #2

If you can see the gray tank plumbing valves, it should be relatively easy to install a 1" connecting pipe upstream of the dump valves with a 1/4 turn valve in the line. This would allow normal function, and by opening the valve, allow both tanks to equalize. The downside_ exposed piping can freeze.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Why not just put one of these valves on. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868

You leave it closed and open the two greys and they will equal out.

Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Islapp..that is the way I had decided to go, appreciate the response here. Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
are you sure they aren't already connected? Mine are. Either gray tank will overflow into the other.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Darn, I have one of the twist-on valves Mike. Didn't even consider it, I had a permanent installation on my mind, what little's left.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
are you sure they aren't already connected? Mine are. Either gray tank will overflow into the other.
Well I wish they were and then I would not be asking how to combine them.
As soon as I add the valve they will be.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
John, mine aren't. Do you have a seperate valve that you open to transfer between tanks?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two scenarios here and I'm not sure which you have

IF all 3 (Gray/Black/Gray) come down to a SINGLE hose connection then you can use something simular to this http://store.generalrv.com/Items/213...nation%20Valve
Note that this is NOT the correct valve, but they make one that hooks to the hose fitting, and then the hose hooks to it.

You then leave this valve closed, leave the black tank valve closed, and the two Gray tank valves open. till it's time to dump

When you dump close the two gray tanks, open the accessory valve, open the black, and dump and rinse it, once it's done close it's valve and open the two gray tank valves, once they are done, if you are not moving, close the added valve and open the two grays.

NOTE: this requires NO modification to the unit, it's all lock on-lock off, Does require a good seal valve to trailer.

If you have two gray tanks outlets (Two hose hook ups) it's a bit more complex but I suspect you can figure it out from here (I have two hook ups)
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You then leave this valve closed, leave the black tank valve closed, and the two Gray tank valves open. till it's time to dump

NOTE: this requires NO modification to the unit, it's all lock on-lock off, Does require a good seal valve to trailer.
Great thought - - until I meditated on this one a bit - - then suddenly something didn't smell right (pun intended ) I am assumming the OP was wanting something that would work when dry camping. If you leave your cap on, then open both grey valves while camped, he could possibly achieve his goal. Then close them when leaving (assumming there will be not leaking which it probably will), drive to the dump site, then figure how to get the cap off, the hose one and not dump grey water all over yourself and the ground. If you are hooked up, it won't really matter. It was a good thought at first.

One of my Winnebagos had two grey tanks plumbed together with one dump valve. Another one had two tanks with separate valves. Hated it.

Bob

Bob
Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAPP View Post
John, mine aren't. Do you have a seperate valve that you open to transfer between tanks?
Mike
Mike

No. They are plumbed together near the top of the tanks. either one overflows to the other.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #12

I got the twist on drain valve , installed it and all is well..my problem solved, now have one grey tank.