Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Comfort Control Center not Working

Our Comfort Control Center is not working, at first we were missing some of the components on the display of the CCC, We called Dometic and did the reset and got the EE message, release the button and get FF. We have purchased a new control kit, control center and replaced the cable. Still nothing!!! Is there a way to test the A/C without buying a ceiling assembly, or do I need to purchase a ceiling assembly. We want to rule out all the new products. Is there any other tests, should I purchase another board, etc??? We have the 5 button Comfort Control Center, with a ducted, single A/C unit, runs one furnace with heat pump, no heat strip. We have the Dometic Duo-therm A/C #59136.531, CCC #3109228.001. Please help!!
Coolchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Hello Coolchem,
I do not know if your problem has been resolved. I have experience with the 5 button CCC system. I am not assure of your level of electronic competence, but it does take a bit of it to troubleshoot. You need a good VOM, RJ-45 connectors, a phone cord, plug a RJ-45 connection box and a RJ-45 crimping tool. These are available at most stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. If you carefully read the Dometic guide, it will tell you how to make up a patch cord to troubleshoot with. Also, you must start at the "source" where the +12v is derived - at the A/C unit on the roof. The coach supplies the +12 volt to the system via the control board on the A/C unit. From there, the A/C control board has two RJ-45 (i.e. phone jacks). The phone wire goes through the harness of the A/C unit. Note - you must remove the forward shroud on the A/C unit to get to the rest of the connections. Then the phone wire in the harness is connected to a "phone coupler." On the opposite side of the coupler, this then extends down to the CCC unit. It is important to keep the polarity of the system correct, where each connection to the control board and the CCC is RED for +12v and BLACK for NEGATIVE. I have lend advise on this before when another RVer was having problems. All he did was to reseat the phone connections at the A/C unit. Feel free to contact me if further questions. Again, this takes a little electronic aptitude to fix. Throwing components at the problem will not fix it when it is just a case of a bad electrical connections. This was my case when I fixed a similar problem on a 3 unit A/C system on my coach.

Regards
Mark S
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317, ISL 425HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Comfort Control Center (5 button).pdf (672.6 KB, 75 views)
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

Note from Dometic link FYI:

“2. CABLE ASSEMBLY
A flat control cable must be routed from the unit to the Comfort Control Center. It must be 26 gauge, stranded copper
wire, four (4) conductor (yellow, green, red, and black). The
cable must be terminated with a four (4) position telephone
RJ-11 Connector.
Note: Do not use a pre-made telephone extension cable.
The order of the connectors is reversed and will cause a
failure of the system.”

Please note that an RJ-11 connecter is commonly known as a telephone jack.
It is the smaller cousin of the RJ-45 connector commonly used for Ethernet network connections similar to routers and Ethernet switches, larger. They are not always interchangeable.

The cable Dometic recommends is said to be an RJ-11 that has been terminated (ends attached) in a cross-over configuration as compared to a standard patch cable.

1234 1234
^ ^ <clip
4321 1234
^ ^ <clip
x-over patch

Are we there yet?
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Happened to me once and it was the telephone like connectors up in the overhead by the front unit.Water had dripped on it and the Comfort Control Center quit working.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Question for DutchMaster

We did set up a cable that is the same polarity on both sides and ran from rooftop directly to the CCC still with no luck, does it have to go through the coupler? Where is the coupler? We haven't checked that. Any idea's on how to isolate the problem by taking the control kit, CCC, etc out of play and test only the A/C, other than using a ceiling assembly?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Hello Again Coolchem,
You are halfway there, with the "test cable" (i.e. RJ-11 telephone connectors at end) made. What you need to determine now is whether or not +12 is supplied from the A/C control board. You need to get a standard telephone jack to connect to one of the RJ-11 connectors on the A/C control board. Plug the cable into this and into the jack. Measure the +12 volt (red) and 12 volt Negative (black) post on the jack. If the voltage is not there, that is your problem. There is a white plastic Amp/Molex connector going to the board. The power comes from the coach into this (in the case of a single unit. However in two or three A/C units, the forward unit get the power and supplies the 2nd and 3rd A/C via the telephone wire). Also, the red and black wires on the harness provides power to the control board. (page 8 of the manual). If you do not have power going through this harness, then this is your problem. I am not sure how the +12 power is supplied to it on your coach.
If you follow this wire harness, you will see it goes into the front A/C plenum. This is also where the RJ-11 coupler is. You will have to remove it to gain access to it.
Using the "jumper cable" you made and the CCC unit is a good place to start with. This eliminates the wiring going through the coupler.
If you have power going to the A/C control board and coming out of it (i.e. RJ-11), using the CCC (make sure you reset it.) - It should work and start communicating with it. If not, I would suspect the control board could be bad? If you change the control board, make sure the DIP switch is correct and same as the original.

Regards
Mark S.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

another question to dutchmaster

Is there a way to run a 110 extension cord up to the A/C and plug it in directly without a ceiling assembly? This way we can test the A/C by itself.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Hello Again Coolchem
On page 4 of the CCC manual, it tells you how to conduct a test using a simple socket/lamp tester. This would be much easier to do than run a separate power cord up to the A/C unit. The test checks all speed of the fan along with the compressor.

Best Regards
Mark S.