Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
IC2

We went the pop up, 5er, truck camper, then to 2 TT's now back to real life and a nice 5er and a decent truck. Haven't had an 'A' or 'C', but at the associated costs beyond the purchase price of that single use RV...... I really like my multi usable F350 and the 34' 5er
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Have the DW drive the rig in town and park it.
Jim W.
Didnt work, already tried that..

I was thinking more like having to bike every where since our car is non-towable (Audi)... having no way to get all her 'shopping' home goes a looong ways
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #17

My DW likes to go to the bathroom while going down the highway. Also it is nice to have her brewing fresh coffee while I keep driving. I do and always have liked having a truck for my driver.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
My DW likes to go to the bathroom while going down the highway. Also it is nice to have her brewing fresh coffee while I keep driving. I do and always have liked having a truck for my driver.
Years ago when we had a MH my wife liked those same conveniences.That stopped one day when a man ran a city stoplight and I had to make an unsuccessful panic stop that ended when I broadsided that car. The impact threw DW all the way to the dash, where she hit very hard. She had two broken wrists, twisted back/spine, and covered with bruises a few days later. From then on I never allowed her to get out of her seat while the coach was moving.
Moving about in a moving MH is ill-advised.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
She could move around on the highway, but I wouldnt let anyone up while in town or heavy traffic.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #20

Most folks with a MH have a towed. With a generator that makes three (3) motors to maintain. With my 5 ER and solar with out generator, I only have one motor to maintain.
When I retired I wanted to keep it simple.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #21

We sure like the 5er/truck combo, mind you we never owned anything else. Some have told us that there is no difference in maintenance costs, mileage etc. but I find that real hard to believe. A bigger unit uses heavy parts that come at a heavier price. Mind you we spent a few bucks on our truck, but we sure don't regret it 398hp and 1018 ft/lb torque at 1700 RPM....we don't slow down much. Have not really figured out mileage yet for towing but before the work we were at 14 - 15 MPG towing a 10,000lb 5er and what I've figured out this winter after the work was done, there is about a 15% increase in mileage empty so.... we will see when we get out of the snow. Welcome back to the 5er club.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
She could move around on the highway, but I wouldnt let anyone up while in town or heavy traffic.
Had I realized beforehand, my wife would have never left her seat while I was moving. Sure this is a rare occurrence, but it only takes/took one time. Prior to the accident we had been coast to coast without incident.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #23

You know folks Ray is right! He has said something to this effect in about 3 threads that I've followed. I've been a volunteer Firefighter for about 18 years and I have seen first hand (as Ray can attest) what seatbelts can do and fir those left unbuckled what they can't do. Please folks it may seem that you are pretty invincible in a smooth running vehicle but it only takes that fraction of a second to change your life forever (and maybe for those that are there after the fact as well). If you are gonna make coffee, go to the washroom, grab a snack then please stop. Really are two or three or even ten minutes going to make that much of a difference? I know it quite does not belong in this thread but I thought I would affirm Ray's view with what I know and have seen. Drive safe!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #24

An object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an opposing force. Newton's 3rd law of motion, 1687.

Motorhome at 55 mph on highway hits opposing force of (Deer, Moose, Car, Debris) Motorhome decelerates at a very rapid pace in a short distance. Dear wife making coffee continues to travel at 55 mph within confines of motorhome. Dear wife decelerates to zero mph upon reaching opposing force of dashboard and windsheild.

Damage to motorhome, repairable. Damage to dear wife, soft tissue injuries, mechanical injuries, broken bones, possible death event.

Prevention: pull over for 10 minutes so there are no bodies in motion. Thousands of people prove Newton's law of motion is still functioning every year, providing job security for Firemen, Doctors, Nurses, Rehab, Morticians.

Ability to participate in this process, optional. 100% avoidable, those that participate chose to risk/gamble to prove Newton wrong, or feel they will avoid 100% of the time.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1/2 Way There

Bought a truck today! Its imaculate and VERY well taken care of. He has every invoice for the truck since it was born. It has a 460 and a 5 speed, low miles, new tires, u-joints, carrier bearing, Banks power pack, and I took it on a LONG test run and it drives nice and tight.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
Bought a truck today! Its imaculate and VERY well taken care of. He has every invoice for the truck since it was born. It has a 460 and a 5 speed, low miles, new tires, u-joints, carrier bearing, Banks power pack, and I took it on a LONG test run and it drives nice and tight.
Nothing like a good ol' American made truck,
Looks great!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I like that truck.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club