Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
Loonybin, the tankless hot water heater may or may not be to your liking, depending on how and where you camp. I replaced the standard 10 gal RV water heater in my Alfa 5th wheel several years ago with a PrecisionTemp tankless. It's a great unit and much quieter and more efficient than the standard one, but I full-time in Southern California. In the summer the incoming water temperature is sufficiently warm that the burner can't throttle-down enough for the shower, and it has to cycle the burner off and on. The only way I could shower was to turn on the lavy hot water faucet full blast to get the water flow through the heater high enough for it to maintain an even temperature. It would also be a bad choice for dry-camping.

This year I replaced both the water heater and furnace with a "Twin Temp" hydronic system (also from Precision Temp), which is a propane unit otherwise similar to the AquaHot system. I'm finally completely delighted with everything, both hot water and space heating.

It's a bit pricey, and a big job to retrofit, but if I were looking for a new RV, not having such a system would absolutely be a deal-breaker.

jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
The Carriage products seem to be popular. After many months of research, however, I second the suggestion that you see if NuWa has a Hitchiker you like. I am impressed with their designs, build quality, and the outstanding company support system. They are about 50K less than a Teton, and are lighter too.

Their Discover America series should be in the right price range. Their top-of-the-line Champagne series falls into the 95K MSRP range.

Good stuff, and definitely on our short list when we go fulltime.

Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
We too are shopping for retirement next year. We decided on a 5er, and so far, the Heartland Bighorn 3055RL has our vote. Give it a look.
pcthikersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
Tim and Cathy---be bought a new 2007 Lakato 5er by McKenzie, 34 ' w/bunks BIG TRAIler. We too thought we bought the wrong floorplan to fit our needs. It is growning on us as we live in it. Next RV will be very plannedout ahead. We know now EXACTLY what we want. Next is when--somewhere down the road.
Good luck to you.
David and Carol
2007 Keystone Montana 34 RL
2000 Ford F-250 Triton V 10
SoPawGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
we are also full timers. a couple of things we look for is solid wood cabinet construction and a full length bed. a standard king bed and queen bed are the same length (80"). a lot of units put in a short (75") queen bed. we look for the full 80" queen. cabinet construction is another thing we look for. most units use solid wood doors with wrapped wood styles. we feel the solid wood styles will hold up better under full time use. the wrapped wood will tend to get tears and nicks easier.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
We have been looking at 5th wheels also and the Titanium by www.glendalerv.com in Canada has caught our attention. I particularly like the cabover bed which allows for a shorter tow lenth.
Klamath Falls, Oregon:The Right Side Of The Cascades!
1990 Rexhall Airex 29I,Ford 460cid,Gear Vendor,Granning Tag Axel
'87 GMC Suburban 2500 W/454 CID
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club

Be sure you go in the Titanium & check out the headroom in that bedroom area. Down by the dressing & bathroom area, headroom is ok, but up by the middle to head of the bed, it's pretty low, even for me at 5'4". Made me feel very closed in even though I'm not claustrophobic.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #22
Every it seems is telling you that their brand is the greatest. And I am sure that to them that is true. However the reason there are so many brands out there is that not everyone likes the same things. What I would suggest is to go out and look at as many as possible. When you have settled on a floor plan you like, then get serious. Start by sitting in it, stand in the kitchen and pretend you are making dinner for 4. Next try getting a shower/bath. How about sitting on the toilet? Is there enough room? Spend an hour or so in a coack without any salesman present yapping all the time and you will quickly learn what is right and wrong for you.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
Might as well add my 2 cents worth,My wife and I just sold our home and we have been shopping for a full time fifth wheel,price being a major factor we were fortunate to find a 35'Teton Grand,with triple slides and in excellent condition for $18,000.00 this trailer is very comfortable and has kept us warm and cozy even through these recent winter storms that hit north central Arizona temps down in the teens,I heard that Tetons were made in Casper Wyo.and are made for cold weather,I belive that now, also I called the factory to see if they had any owners manuals available for this model(its a 1994) they not only had the manual they sent it to me free,all in all the wife and I are extremly happy with our purchase,sometimes with carefull looking a used trailer can be a big savings and money saved can allow one to take that dream vacation when there ready.

Raven1941 is offline   Reply With Quote