Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #1

We are in the process of selling our home base and are wanting to go on the road full time. We have been looking at all the 5th wheels for about 4 months now and are getting more confused all the time. We have found one used 2001 Carriage Conestoga that has been well taken care of. But them we look at the new 5th wheels, and see things on them that look good to us. Fifth wheels have changed a lot in the last 6 years or so. We have been looking a the Doubletree Elite Suites, and the Cedar Creek, Day Dreamer. Looking for any and all information that can be furnished. Also any other 5th wheels that you feel should be looked at. I really don't like the Excel floor plans that I have seen, and although I like the tandum duels on the Newmar, we really dont like the floor plans on them either. We really like the Carriage Royals and the Tetons, but really out of the price range. Looking forward to any and all information.

2000 Goldwing
blackoak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #2

We are in the process of selling our home base and are wanting to go on the road full time. We have been looking at all the 5th wheels for about 4 months now and are getting more confused all the time. We have found one used 2001 Carriage Conestoga that has been well taken care of. But them we look at the new 5th wheels, and see things on them that look good to us. Fifth wheels have changed a lot in the last 6 years or so. We have been looking a the Doubletree Elite Suites, and the Cedar Creek, Day Dreamer. Looking for any and all information that can be furnished. Also any other 5th wheels that you feel should be looked at. I really don't like the Excel floor plans that I have seen, and although I like the tandum duels on the Newmar, we really dont like the floor plans on them either. We really like the Carriage Royals and the Tetons, but really out of the price range. Looking forward to any and all information.

2000 Goldwing
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #3

You seem to be liking some of the Carriage lines. Take a look at the CarriLite. They have some great floor plans in that line and they are much lighter and cheaper than a Royals. They are an excellent full timer rig and could be pulled easily with a 450. I certainly would not reject a CarriLite that is a couple years old - - guess I like saving money too much.

Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #4

Just so you are comparing apples to apples, list all the brands you like that are manufacturer approved for full-time living on one page, and the rest on another. Some manufacturers state in the warranty that it is void if the unit is used for full-time living. This to me is a large clue to structural design for the rigors of continous use.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #5

First suggestion is settle on a floor plan you both can live in. Then start by doing an online search of manufacturers web sites for that floor plan. They will give you a wealth of information on construction, weights, capacities etc. Use this to narrow your search down to maybe 5 or 6 brands that you think you would like. Then go shopping looking at that specific floor plan only. A few phone calls will tell you what dealers have in stock. Once you have settled on one or two brands, go and spend an hour in each one without a salesman. Lay on the bed, sit in the chairs, pretend to make a meal, you get the picture, actually try living in it for an hour and see if it is the right one. Also look inside cabinets for construction dirt that was not cleaned up or poor construction. This will weed out the bad ones quickly.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

Adding a note to 450Donn's good suggestions - - have the saleman bring in the slides, then picture yourself cooking a meal, lounging for an evening, going to bed, getting a snack with the slides in. Can it even be done? That can be quite important.
Bob
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #7

Another thing to think about is when the slides are closed, are the heat ducts out from under them so the heat is usable.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I like the NuWa products and am now on my fourth HitchHiker trailer in 10 years. There's a good NuWa Website that extols all the virtues of their products and also a good NuWa Owners Forum that current owners discuss any issues and problems they have.

Good luck with your search, there are many quality brands on the market.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 AM   #9

Like others have said "usable with the slides closed" is very important for potty breaks while traveling, lunch while traveling, ect... at roadside rest areas or a few minutes in a parking lot.

Look beyond the bling at the construction details, and the care put into the assembly.

No one mentioned Holiday Rambler yet. Some of theirs are full time rigs. We dont full time in ours, but are extremely happy with the way it was built and how well it has held up. We would buy another Holiday Rambler.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #10

Thanks for all the good input. I knew that there is a vast amount of information out there. We are still looking but I now have a lot more information to look at. Thanks!

2000 Goldwing
Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Make sure it has a very good bed design and mattress. No matter how pretty the rig is if you don't get a good nights sleep its ugly.

ALSO make sure the bed is big enough for your size. My husband is 6'3" and we really need a king. We have a full queen and it is still not long enough for him. In order to tuck the blankets under the mattress he can not then pull the blankets up to his chin so his shoulders are always cold or his knees are bent.
Size matters.
nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #12

I have decided we need a different mattress in ours not very comfortable at all
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 AM   #13

You might be amazed at the difference in your mattress if you put a 4" topper of memory foam on it. We did and it sleeps very similar to our "way overpriced" pillow top in our home.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #14

I have been researching 5w's for past 3 years in preparation for retirement.

Frame construction and Ride are 2 of the first features I would decide on. Box Tube? I Bean?
C Channel?, etc.

With that said, the DT Elite is a great model and scores as one of my top 3 choices. Big water tanks and only drawback is it does not have a built-in generator garage.

The one major change I would like to see is "tankless hot water system".

You did not mention New Horizons. Have you looked at them?

Have fun and good luck!!

Tags
heartland