Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #113

If you're mechanical, get what you want. We were not and everytime we turned around it was major money. $5000 to have the radiator replaced due to recall, Spartan provided the parts, $2000 to replace a jack, $3000 to replace a wire that a mouse chewed, etc. etc, And not to mention towing charges. We could not afford to keep it. Everyone doesn't have that bad luck but we did. We could have paid for our 5th wheel with the money we spent on the MH in the 2 years we had it. We did love the MH though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #114

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Oil change on my MH was 50.00.
Of course that's doing it myself . I can have it done for 100-125.00.
I don't think that is for a diesel engine MH.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
I don't think that is for a diesel engine MH.

I don't recall anyone saying we were just talking about diesel
Old 01-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #116

WM changes my Ram's 12 quarts for $50 using Rotella Oil.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #117

Quote:
Oil change on my MH was 50.00.
Of course that's doing it myself . I can have it done for 100-125.00.
Don't know what engine you have but cost me more than that to change the oil in my dually. 3 gallons of oil is $60 and a $18 oil filter.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Don't know what engine you have but cost me more than that to change the oil in my dually. 3 gallons of oil is $60 and a $18 oil filter.

6 qts of Synblend, less than 5.00/QT .
Filter I think is 7.00
So yea , I'm wrong . 37.00 to change oil .
Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #119

Confused-How is a 5th Wheel cheaper than a Class A?

So we have expensive campers & were nit picking over the cost of an oil change once or twice a year .
Got it .
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #120

If you are going to have a heavy unit it has to be diesel. Gas motors in a MH don't last. They are constantly working at their max. Class A gas is shot before 100,000 miles. In a truck they do a little better because they are not always pulling all that weight.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbeasley View Post
If you are going to have a heavy unit it has to be diesel. Gas motors in a MH don't last. They are constantly working at their max. Class A gas is shot before 100,000 miles. In a truck they do a little better because they are not always pulling all that weight.
Maybe it depends on what "heavy" means. Unless overweight, I do not believe that 100000 number for gas engine, but even if one can substantiate ithat number, put it in perspective.

I have heard the average mileage on a MH is 3,500 per year. At that rate, it takes 28 years to reach 100000 miles.

I full time and my motorhome odometer clocks about 4,500 in a year. I am not worried about the odometer reading; aging is more concerning ( both motorhome and occupants).

Gas is not for everyone has its drawbacks. The OP wants diese, theOP can afford diesel, so diesel it will be. No need to malign gas engines to convince the OP.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #122

Quote:

So based on your deduction , I've got another 8 years of life left in the engine on my gas rig . I'll take that .
Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #123

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford Triton V-10 has been just about the only gas engine available for the RV's since 1999. There have been a few issues with plugs and that's just about it. I'd like to see some statistics concerning the longevity of the Ford V-10's at around 100,000 miles. From what I've read they will provide a lot more trouble free miles than that.

In fact back in about 2009 I was asking a friend a service manager at a Ford dealer and he told me that the V-10 had very, very few mechanical issues since it first went into production. They had an excellent reputation all around the industry.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #124

Quote:
Ummm..... NO

What is a heavy unit?

If a GAS RV is constantly working at its max then fuel ecomony would show it. I wouldn't of been able to get 6-8mpg going 70+ mph ulling a JKU. If it was true lay at it max I should of been getting less then half that mpg.

It's also not only about the weight but wind drag

In a truck they do better because people simply drive them more. Nothing to do with a gas engine being at its limit in a big RV. Had 22k mikes on my last RV when it was sold and was seven years old. In another 26 year I would reach the dreaded 100k mark, I would bet the engine would be in the best condition vs interior, exterior etc.

It is true diesels do last several hundred thousand miles, maybe a million or more. No reason gas RV can't go well over 100K
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Ummm..... NO

What is a heavy unit?

If a GAS RV is constantly working at its max then fuel ecomony would show it. I wouldn't of been able to get 6-8mpg going 70+ mph ulling a JKU. If it was true lay at it max I should of been getting less then half that mpg.

It's also not only about the weight but wind drag

In a truck they do better because people simply drive them more. Nothing to do with a gas engine being at its limit in a big RV. Had 22k mikes on my last RV when it was sold and was seven years old. In another 26 year I would reach the dreaded 100k mark, I would bet the engine would be in the best condition vs interior, exterior etc.

It is true diesels do last several hundred thousand miles, maybe a million or more. No reason gas RV can't go well over 100K

What I find kinda funny is when people say things like , " DPs are built on bus chassis that are designed to go a million miles ".
While that's partially true , if I owned a bus company , I'm sure that would be very important because those buses need to bring me many many miles to make money .
Over the years I love going on Ebay & RV trader etc and browsing RVs . It's very very rare to come across one with over 100k miles that anybody is going to buy . I think I've seen one that was over 150k miles , but it was really rough .
Most , people just don't put s ton of miles on them , & those who do don't usually keep em more than a few years anyway .
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #126

Quote:
6 qts of Synblend, less than 5.00/QT .
Filter I think is 7.00
So yea , I'm wrong . 37.00 to change oil .
Like I said...don't know what engine you have. 6qts is a far cry from 3 gallons in a diesel let alone some of the big diesels in motorhome with 8 to 10 gallons.
Closed Thread

Tags
5th wheel, class a, fuse