Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Question Confusion about fuses, types

I got to thinking I should have some back up fuses on hand in case (please no!) one blows. I checked the fuse/converter box, wrote down the fuse amps. Read the little sticker in the box and it read: Use Littlefuse type 257 fuse in locations 10 and 11. OK the fuses have been marked as to what they are for. (have nothing in 11.) Also said "for RV 11 loads"

I thought this would be a simple task of seeing what fuses are in the box and ordering them.
In looking online I see mini and max fuses for Littlefuse. The picture for the minis is terrible as the fuses are in the package.
Question is do I 'HAVE TO' replace with Littlefuses or is this a marketing ploy?

Anyone know of a good online store where I can purchase fuses? (I'm in a very rural area thus, I shop online a lot.)

Sorry to be so clueless, but as I've said in other posts I've just recently had to take over maintenance of the 5er and learning as I go.

paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Just go to any auto store and buy a a pack of mixed fuses for the maxi (square ends) and mini (pointed ends) and you should be fine. I bought the maxi pack and a fuse blew on another panel that had the mini fuses so been there done that. Any make of fuse will work just make sure there is a good mixture of different amp fuses in each box.

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When you pick up your spare fuses, try to get a pack that includes a fuse remover, a simple little piece of plastic that makes life much easier when removing a stubborn fuse in a confined space.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Smile Fuses

Thanks so much for the input. I was agonizing over which fuses and to know one can purchase them in an Auto store, makes it far simpler. Also the fuse remover, as I did pull one out to look at it, and had a little trouble getting it back in.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
You should also pick up a cheap multi-meter.....it's a really quick way to check fuses without having to remove them. Just set it to the "continuity" test mode and touch both little metal pieces on the top end of the fuse with the meter probes at the same time (don't remove fuse) and it should beep if the fuse is good. No beep, pull the fuse and replace. Good luck!
Sofakleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Walmart has them as well.
jawildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Smile fuses at Wally World

Originally Posted by jawildman View Post
Walmart has them as well.
Mine (store)only had a few and none of them were what I needed (7.5, 15, 40) so finally ordered some on ebay.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 sizes of fuses (physical) in common use today all 3 are blade fuses, MY name for them is MINI, Standard and Gigantic.

I have an assortment of the first two in stock.. have yet to blow a Gigantic.

In addition there are a few Glass cylinder type fuses (Cartradge) scattered about, NONE are on "Mission critical" stuff save for the ones in my TS-2000, again I have spares. Plus I can get one of the blades to fit if it must.

One "Trick" you might try is to have a "inline fuse holder" or two on hand (Normal size blade fuses) one with just tabs on it end of the wires (The flat blade that pushes into the clip) and the other with a pair of clip on ends.

That way you can replace just about anythign with a one of the standard blades and one of the holders till you get to a parts store.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote