Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Hi Folks: I have been a member of the Winnebago Journey group for 3 years and we are now looking at a 38 to 40 foot 5th to buy for our 4 months of travel and 6 months in AZ to snowbird it. Our Journey is GREAT and we love it, but our friends just bought a 38' 5th with 3 slides that is really AWESOME for room, style and comfort.

My question is - WHAT SHOULD WE BE LOOKING AT FOR THE BEST DEAL AND MOST EFFICIENT FOR LIVING?
Our dealers here in Indy have most of the big manufacturers and are offering a great tradein for the Journey - almost to the point where we could pull off a complete package with tow vehicle and trailer.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS!!!

Spooky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
that is a good question and one that I have struggled with. Overall, foot for foot, I feel that a 5th wheel will give you more living space as a 5er does not have driver compartment. And in a 5er you can find floorplans that are more like a home where the sleeping, bathroom, living and kitchen areas are separated.

For me, even though we are fulltime, we are pretty much stationary most of the time. For us the 5th Wheel is perfect. We have a floorplan that we find very comfortable. My truck is used for small errands and the car is used for longer trips.

I keep looking ahead for when we finally do start traveling alot. In either case I will have to tow something, whether it is a toad or a trailer.

One can argue that with a MH/toad, traveling is easier as once the MH is disconnected from the toad, setup the MH and commutes with the car. Easier to park and get around town in a car. Also while on the road, it is much easier to stop for the night. Park and lower the jacks. At least those are the arguments I've heard. Now is it important that you be able to pickup TV while traveling down the highway? That is one thing that you will NOT be able to do with a 5er.

One can also argue that traveling with a 5er is just as easy. I have stopped for a night in a CG. Never unhooked the truck, just dropped the jacks. We did have to get out to setup leveling blocks, but that is not really that bad. Next morning raise the jacks, stow the blocks and we are on our way. The downside, however slight IMHO, is that when we are in an area for a period of time, our day trips are in our truck. Can be a little more difficult to park and maneuver around town. After I setup my satellite dish, I get the same satellite TV as everyone else.

So I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I could go either way. My wife is adamant that we will not have a MH. So I guess my case is answered.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've pondered the same question. We're not going back to a 5-r anytime soon, but I do agree, for full-timing, having an rv with the entire space being living space (vs the front third being cockpit as in the MH) is the best use of sq footage.

3 mfr's on my short list (for someday) are (in no particular order):
Newmar Kountry Aire
NuWa Hitchhiker
Double Tree Moble Suites

IMO, those 3 have great build quality, floorplans & hold up very well for full-timing. Of course, who knows what'll be available when that changeover day comes for us. I'll probably have changed my mind a dozen times over by then. But, for right now, those 3 would be the ones I'd zero in on.

It's a buyer's market out there, so make your best deal & enjoy the shopping. Keep us posted.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
3 mfr's on my short list (for someday) are (in no particular order):
Newmar Kountry Aire
NuWa Hitchhiker
Double Tree Moble Suites
Lori,

You can strike the NuWa HitchHiker off your short list unless you want a used rig, the recession got the best of them and they shut down production at the end of last month with no plans to restart it. The manufacturing equipment and buildings is being liquidated and most all employees have been laid off. They didn't go broke, just shut it down before they did.

On the positive side they will keep their service and parts departments open until at least through the end of next year.

You might want to look at putting an Excel, made by Peterson Industries, on the list... but who knows, they may shut down too.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Lori...You might want to look at putting an Excel, made by Peterson Industries, on the list... but who knows, they may shut down too.
Richard...I tend to see all posts on Excel so I thought I would share this post and also this one with those interested...

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Lori, You can strike the NuWa HitchHiker off your short list unless you want a used rig...
Nuthin' wrong w/used. If ya get a nicely taken care of one, someone else took the depreciation & worked out the bugs. Now, there might even be some good repo's out there. Can be a real buy.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have been doing the opposite, been looking at class A's very seriously,
and i keep coming back to the fiver for room, ease of basement access, ( i dont have to bend over)and floor layout
my only biggie is cargo capacity.
i have seen a lot of really nice units but the cap is less than 2k lbs
i am right at the 2k mark and i can easily overload my rig
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having lived in both a class A and a 5er, long term, our choice is the 5er without a doubt.

In addition to the storage, they are insulated better and the big plus is if you have engine or chassis problems, your home is not put in the shop.

Ken
Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #9

It seems to me if you are traveling all the time, a motorhome has some serious advantages. A passenger can pop back and make you a sandwich... Pulling a toad on a dolly, though, I would think would make backing more difficult.

As far as what to drive when you get camped, my dually is my daily driver anyway. Once you get used to it, I really don't find it a problem.

It might be a good idea to hit a big RV show, and take your digital camera. There are some really neat floorplans on 5th wheels today.

One I was looking at had the living room up front, with a fireplace, couches and recliners, and TV. It looked really nice if you brought neighbors over to play cards, or had guests for dinner.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote