Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Considering going from Class A to 5th wheel

We currently have a DP with 2 slides but due to needing more living space we are thinking about a 5th wheel. We haven't looked at any yet. The ease of setting up the MH is important and all the ammenties that come with it too....elec/propane heat, on board generator, auto leveling to name some. We aren't sure how easy the FW is to set up and not sure what ammenties to expect. We do know the living space is much greater. I'm just looking for more info and if anyone has switched and what your opinions are on that. It's not a done deal for us that we're going to do it but it is something we will be looking into. Also, we will most liking will be looking at used for cost effectiveness as we know a tow truck will be needed.
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You have a DP right now, so you must have some idea as to quality
of different makes.
The big question for me would be trying to figure out who makes quality
fivers without getting into "the ford versus chev" argument.

Some of the better built units of the past are not very good quality now.

Be sure what you want, and ask ???????.
You mention used due to cost. Lots of cheap units out there.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

Having owned some of everything including two diesel pushers and 17 different RVs in total, it is our experience motorized travels better and is easier to set up; our fivers live better. Just our opinion and one we have discussed often. I am sure others may feel differently.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

Wait til wife has to use the bathroom and your on 101 in Santa Barbara and then decide..... Been there done that we now have a Class A......
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
You have a DP right now, so you must have some idea as to quality
of different makes.
The big question for me would be trying to figure out who makes quality
fivers without getting into "the ford versus chev" argument.

Some of the better built units of the past are not very good quality now.

Be sure what you want, and ask ???????.
You mention used due to cost. Lots of cheap units out there.
We have a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution, it's a good quality unit. Problem is living space. As I said, going from a MH to a FW is going to take much consideration. And it's true as the one post said, the bathroom right behind you is a big plus!!!
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

It's funny, but the bathroom thing is what I most often hear mentioned when this topic comes up.

Steve
Old 12-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

As the driver, I love the Class A DP as much as anyone. Bathroom breaks for wife and two daughters seals the deal. I've driven F350 diesels for a long time at work. There's no comparison in comfort. The Class A wins hands-down. Towing a CR-V behind the DP is effortless compared to towing a heavy trailer behind a pickup.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the man that thinks A's travel better & 5ers are better cabins.

We made our decision on the Class C because: We are travelers more so than we are Campers.

Our friends are campers, they love their 5er , and they stay in one spot-2 weeks at a time.

Get the one you like, use it & have fun with it-you can't miss!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Wait til wife has to use the bathroom and your on 101 in Santa Barbara and then decide..... Been there done that we now have a Class A......
Motorhomes are great bathroom-wise. It is so simple to turn on the cruise control and walk back to the bathroom.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both a 5er and a MH. Each has it's pros and cons. While the 5er is comfortable we would be very unlikely to go back to living in it. It is currently up for sale and while we had many great times in it we will not miss it.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

We started out with a 5th wheel. Frankly after 2 years in the DP we almost wish we had stayed ina 5th wheel. I miss having 99% of my storage inside. We don't truly need easy reach bathroom as we find when we stop we get out and walk around anyway. Moving around while the rig is moving had better be for a big big emergency. Get a 5th wheel with an onboard generator, invertor and auto levelers. Hooking up the car as opposed to the truck and rig is really no big difference. Also in the 5th wheel we had a ceiling fan that helped tremendously with cooling and especially reversing and moving heated air. We have a well built DP but man its harder to keep floors warm
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Annadia1
It depends if you travel a lot or are rather long term stay, we had a MH for 6 years because we were travelling more, we now have a 5th wheel, because we now spend 6 months on the same resort in Fl, and go back home for summer
Annadia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #13

This is no right or wrong to this. It is just a matter of priorities at the present time. My wife and I agree long ago to be truly satisfied we would need one of each type of RV. We have continually changed types as our patterns of usage have changed, but they all have been fun!

Steve
Old 12-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #14

Have owned everything and last switch was an A gasser to the current FW. DW and I both like the FW better overall. But definately get 6-point leveling.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a