Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Unhappy Constipated Montana...

Our terrific 2012 Montana has a bit of a problem...

We're living in it full time while we build a house. Two of us, pretty normal diet. We started full time in it in March. It's been getting harder and harder to empty both gray & black tanks.

With our prior motorhomes & fifth-wheel (non-lived in) I simply pulled the black tank valve handle, and when it relieved itself pulled the gray tank handle to empty and flush out remaining "black" material. Did the black tank flusher for a couple minutes, and all was well.

Today, I pulled the black tank handle, nothing. Pulled the gray tank handle; nothing. Turned on the black tank flusher, still nothing.

This has happened the last couple dumps, and eventually it seemed to empty...

What am I doing wrong, what can be done do alleviate this, etc? We do live in the woods, but prefer to use the indoor plumbing...
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

I would shut both valves, and then pick up your drain hose and hold it a little higher than where it connects to the in ground sewer hookup and walk it back making sure all the fluids go down the drain and the tube is empty. Then make sure they are on a good downward slant and re-open one of the valves. You can develop a vapor type lock where nothing will drain, if water gets pooled up in the sewer tubes. I doubt it is your tanks or valves as they are both not draining, so I would suspect something from your connect on the RV to the CG drain. If that doesn't work then you might want to check your roof vent tube, a bird may have nested in it or other debris may have it blocked. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Thumbs up Success!

Wow! Did both of those and it's now flowing like the Mississippi River! Same color too.

Thank you, after RV'ing for 17 years, I learned something new and great today...
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

We had a similar problem with our Montana, and realized we had recently changed to Costco toilet tissue. Went back to the brand we had been using, & problem solved. Have you made any "paper" changes?
John
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #5

To add to Mike's response, buy or build a sloped support for your slinky. Higher at the RV outlet tapering down to a bit higher than the CG opening. You should have no probs after that.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
old plumbers saying, water flows under pressure and poop runs down hill!
Old 08-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
old plumbers saying, water flows under pressure and poop runs down hill!

Plumbers creed-sh$t don't run up hill and plumbers don't chew their fingernails.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Ok, good stuff... I think I'll fab up a tightline of plastic pipe to run directly from the RV to the septic tank. Slight decline, smooth interior, closed system. Should be enough fall, and it's only about 15 feet away.
Should eliminate this problem, and no more flimsy plastic slinky either. Will post a photo when done.

Thanks again...

Ed

Tags
montana