Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Thanks. They sure look nice. Don't know why I even asked as it is obvious that they have to be in the $100k+ range.
Joe
Try the $200K + range.....

Jack Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #16

Hi Jack.

Yes, to get into a bigger, fully-decked out C.C. Elegance, you would be near the $200k mark; having said that, there are several other models that are lower priced but still offer the advantages of CC.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGx View Post
Bigfiver - what's your tow vehicle ?
We've been looking at their combo 5th wheel / horse trailer specs, but they said they stopped making them due to high demand of the Continental Coach. They were featured on a recent showing of 'Extreme RV's' - nice units.
We tow with a Crewchief Aerocondo/Ultimate Hauler (Crew Chief Convervsions Ltd. - Your Custom Sleeper and Truck Body Builder - Located in Mississauga,Ontario,Canada). It is a modified FL M2106 with a Mercedes MB900-330hp. It works very well, but we are VERY slow in the Mountains. :-(

CC just launched a new aluminum frame to significantly cut down on the weight. I'm not sure I would have gone for that option, but I certainly would have researched it further had it been available when we ordered.

The CC folks hired several critical people from Travel Supreme who brought significant expertise and panache to the existing CC products.

As mentioned above, we spend several months touring factories and saw many fabulous products--the two runner-ups for us were New Horizons and Spacecraft (both are very fine, well-built products), but after spending time at the CC factory, it was an easy decision for our particular needs and desires.

The after-sales support has been simply amazing.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #18

Wow - these are really nice coaches. The lower price range is just within our budget. The ForksRV web site does not list weights. Even for the 'in stock' units.

I have a 2012 F-450. Would that be sufficient for the smaller 37 or 39 footers?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow - these are really nice coaches. The lower price range is just within our budget. The ForksRV web site does not list weights. Even for the 'in stock' units.

I have a 2012 F-450. Would that be sufficient for the smaller 37 or 39 footers?
I think so, but am not sure; you would have to contact CC. I do not know weights of their other units. Give them a call and ask for Jay Troyer, he can answer you.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #20

Well - I called today and talked to Jay. The pin weight on the 39' model that they have on their web site has a dry pin weight of 5,860lbs. And an overall dry weight of 22,320lbs. That pin weight is way too heavy for my F450.

Not sure if a custom 37' model would have a much lighter pin weight.

One option for a truck would be the new Ram 3500 with all the max tow options or wait for Ford to beef up their trucks and trade for one.

I have looked at sport chassis but wow...both a sports chassis and a CC trailer is a huge step from what I have now. A F-450 and a normal 37' 5er.

I am in Columbus Ohio which is 4 hrs from the CC factory. I will make a trip there in spring to see the factory tour and to find out more about the small 37' model.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #21

Quote:
I have looked at sport chassis but wow...both a sports chassis and a CC trailer is a huge step from what I have now. A F-450 and a normal 37' 5er.
You might want to consider the virtues of an HDT. There are many positive attributes, but some negative ones as well. Like anything else in the RV world, you have to make compromises. Take a look on our website for some thoughts on an MDT vs. HDT. If you have questions I'd be happy to answer them here, or via email.

A CC is going to be VERY heavy if you use the heavier frame - which IMO is a positive for the larger coaches. It will be heavier than a New Horizons, and probably heavier than a Spacecraft (a SC tends to be heavier than a comparable NH).
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #22

I realize heavy is a good thing in rigs. It is better to have 5/8" plywood instead of 1/2" is better than 3/8". That 3" walls are better than 2" walls. That the stonger frame is key to a good coach.

I appreciate your knowlege that CC is heavier than SC and SC is heavier than NH.

Probably in Apr. next year I will take that factory tour and talk to CC about their smaller units. My DW and I can full-time in a 37' to 40' trailer.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #23

Quote:
I realize heavy is a good thing in rigs. It is better to have 5/8" plywood instead of 1/2" is better than 3/8". That 3" walls are better than 2" walls. That the stonger frame is key to a good coach.

I appreciate your knowlege that CC is heavier than SC and SC is heavier than NH.

Probably in Apr. next year I will take that factory tour and talk to CC about their smaller units. My DW and I can full-time in a 37' to 40' trailer.
Our CC is very heavy--33k empty. It is that heavy because of its size how we ordered it--with six slides and numerous additional systems. We tow it with a MDT, but there is not much power headroom. Next time around we will consider taking a HDT to Crewchief to convert for us. We love what they did on our MDT.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #24

Hello bigfiver
My wife and I are in the last stages of deciding on either a contintal or new horizions.
What were the main things that made your choice a continetal coach??

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and Angie View Post
Hello bigfiver
My wife and I are in the last stages of deciding on either a contintal or new horizions.
What were the main things that made your choice a continetal coach??

Thanks for the feed back.
Hi JC and Angie.

I sent you a private message; check your inbox.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #26

...and if you have questions about New Horizons I'll be happy to answer them. email on my web site.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Well - I called today and talked to Jay. The pin weight on the 39' model that they have on their web site has a dry pin weight of 5,860lbs. And an overall dry weight of 22,320lbs. That pin weight is way too heavy for my F450.

Not sure if a custom 37' model would have a much lighter pin weight.

One option for a truck would be the new Ram 3500 with all the max tow options or wait for Ford to beef up their trucks and trade for one.

I am in Columbus Ohio which is 4 hrs from the CC factory. I will make a trip there in spring to see the factory tour and to find out more about the small 37' model.
The 39ft show coach has full granite counters and full marble floors; they add significant weight. We opted for corian and full composite tile to mitigate some weight issues.

We have spent most of the last 17 years in RV's--7 in MH's and 10 in 5th wheels. For us, we wanted to allocate our weight to making life easier, not more glamourous--so granite and marble were not on our list.

We opted instead to eliminate propane from our lives with a diesel boiler and in floor radiant heat--also giving continuous hot water. The 50 gal diesel tank was where we allocated some marble/granite weight.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #28

Funny, small 37 footer. I have a 53 foot furniture van that has a reefer on the front and is insulated with equip it weighs 32000. Have you ever thought of buying a late used class 8 tractor with an autromatic trans you can dump one rear axle smaller tires and a couple of suspension mods and it will pull your trl better and get good fuel mileage. You can also put a smart car on the back crossways behind the truck. Go to the Cardinal 5er website and look at photoes posted and you will see a KW set back axle tractor set up real nice and it will out pull any class 7 tractor and it will out last you.