Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Convert 5er to gooseneck hitch

I tow a gooseneck trailer many times each year and tired of the hassle of switching out the 5th wheel hitch in order to use the ball hitch in the bed of my truck.

I was wondering if anyone has converted their 5th wheel hitch on the trailer to a gooseneck connection? What are the pro's and what are the con's? If you converted what brand of hitch did you switch to on the camper?

My tow vehicle if a 2017 Ram 3500 with the factory 5th wheel and ball hitch built into the bed of the truck

Thanks in advance for everyone's response.
TW
Trail Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
There has been considerable discussion on this topic. My opinion is changing the 5er to a gooseneck will place more torque on the pin box. Probably not a good thing to do.

Calling the frame manufacturer may be the ultimate solution to the question as they should be able to tell you if it is wise.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Fifth wheel frames are not as strong as GN frames and the added stress of an extension may cause damage. Best solution would be the Anderson Ultimate hitch. Basically an elevated ball hitch that connects to your existing ball mount. Hitch is very light weight, under 40 lbs so ez to remove. The elevated ball makes for ez hookup as well. Check it out.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I have a 2011 Winslow 31 LSE and a 2014 Ram 2500. We use the Andersen Ultimate 3220 hitch with no problems. Very easy to remove and reinstall.
Winslowowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

The mating flat surfaces of the 5th and being closer to the trailer reduces the side to side twist.

A goose neck moves the pivot point (think leverage) further away so more steel is needed is to keep neck of the trailer from twisting.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Hi Trail Master, I've used the Anderson 3100 Ranch Hitch gooseneck adapter on two 5th wheels. One 5th wheel had a fixed pin box and the adapter was okay, but I worried about the added stress to the pin box frame and induced moments into the trailer frame, so I removed it and went back to the normal 5th wheel hitch. The second 5th wheel had the Air-Ride Pin Box and when the 3100 Ranch Hitch was installed on it, it gave me the creeps watching that thing move around and pivot ... so,, I removed it again. The Anderson 3220 looks to be a better answer and the 3220 is aluminum so it is light. I have a Ford Reese 5th Wheel hitch and it is much lighter than my Drawtite 5th Wheel Hitch, so I don't mind removing it, plus I have another truck for my "dirty" work with the cattle trailer & dove tail trailer, so I don't remove the Reese very often. If I did I would probably look into the Anderson 3220 Hitch, looks sensible.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

The reese goosebox is what I ended up with, and could not be happier. When I un-hitch the truck bed is clear, and the goosebox has both shocks and an air bag for a very smooth ride. I off road a lot and the gooseneck hitch does not bind up on rough terrain. I also like the chains because it takes less than ten seconds to hook them up and they add a layer of safety. I have used 5th wheel hitches in the past, and the thought of another one in the truck makes my back ache. Even storing the 5th. wheel hitches suck. Good luck Dave-R
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

We also bought the Goose box.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

I'm another one with the Anderson Ultimate. I went with it for two reasons. One, I need to use the truck bed a lot and two, I can easily lift the Anderson out of the truck as it only weighs about 40 lbs.

Chevy 2500HD gas with 14,500lb 5er rating towing a Cougar 5er with GVWR of 12,500lbs.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
What did the pin box manufacturer recommend?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Master View Post
I tow a gooseneck trailer many times each year and tired of the hassle of switching out the 5th wheel hitch in order to use the ball hitch in the bed of my truck.

I was wondering if anyone has converted their 5th wheel hitch on the trailer to a gooseneck connection? What are the pro's and what are the con's? If you converted what brand of hitch did you switch to on the camper?

My tow vehicle if a 2017 Ram 3500 with the factory 5th wheel and ball hitch built into the bed of the truck

Thanks in advance for everyone's response.
TW
Have you considered the B&W Companion hitch? I think it will mate up with existing ball mount on your truck, but could check with B&W to make sure. Companion hitch breaks down into two parts, so it does not take 2 men and a boy to install and uninstall / store. I have had 2 fifth wheels using a gooseneck adapter on a 27' model OK. Another adapter on a 31' unit gave me the willies - so went to the B&W setup and life was suddenly good.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #12

I have had a couple of 5th wheels through the years. At one time, I started exploring the goose-neck adapters for 5th wheel trailers.

A good friend, that happens to be an engineer, explained to me much of what others have already said.
My engineer friend said that lowering the hitch point would dramatically change the vector points.... basically, where the greatest point of stress would be on the frame.
He also said that 5th wheel trailer frames are no where near as strong as goose-neck trailers and that frame failure is a great possibility.

I suppose that if your 5th wheel is small enough (light weight and short), you might get away with using a goose-neck adapter, but I would not chance it.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

If you want to switch, leave your trailer connected to the hitch and drop the landing gear. Take the load off the hitch then climb into the bed and remove the pins holding the hitch. Raise the trailer and hitch then drive the truck away. When you need to go back to 5ver mode, raise the trailer/hitch high enough, back in and drop the hitch into the bed. move forward to re-pin then connect as normal.