Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #15

Make sure you have flare wrenches( sears sells them) look kinda like box end but are designed to use on brass and aluminum brake and bleeder fittings so you don't strip them when you torque down the lines or bleed the brakes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

P5W.....did you get everything you needed to do BOTH axles....including custom bent brake lines and actuators.....for $1450??

tsm1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
P5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1975 View Post
P5W.....did you get everything you needed to do BOTH axles....including custom bent brake lines and actuators.....for $1450??
Yup. My trailer has 6,000 lb axles and short a few fasteners I needed and brake fluid, it came complete for both axles. I also decided to purchase a section of braided stainless steel line that comes off my actuator because it had a 90 degree fitting I wanted for my install.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #18

Have not converted brakes, but my TS came with disk brakes, would not have anything else. They will stop a unit like mine, 19k 5th wheel with 10 k truck. 😎
Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We did the conversion ourselves on a 2011 Cameo and got everything including tech support from Bill at Stop Your Trailer .com. I think the total cost was less than $1800 for everything including the Titan pump. Worth every penny!!!
We ordered our 2014 Lifestyle with the Dexter option. Again, worth every penny. Although, I can tell you from having the Dexter pump compared to the Titan, the Titan is better.
Back to the original question of "is it worth it"? The answer might be to ask yourself what price can you put on your safety and peace of mind with brakes that are always predictable/consistant and with smoother and shorter stopping distances. I'll leave it at that.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's on my "thinking about it" list.. 2015 37' Keystone 5th wheel won't lock the trailer brakes on gravel.

Anyone used these guys?
Performance Trailer Braking Titan Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion Kits and Installation
Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I also didn't convert, but the dexter disks came on my 5er and wouldn't have anything else.My elec/hyd actuator went out this year and I had to replace it, but it is 10 years old, the only problem that I have had with them. The trailer stops excellent, and my GCW is right around 25,000# With around 20 to 30,000 miles oin the trailer the pads and rotors are still in good shape and will last for another 20 to 30,000 miles.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #22

Ask anyone who has done the conversion the common response will be "I wish I would have done it sooner" !
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #23

Ok...I will rise to dissent..

I am not going to get into the pros / cons of the various brake upgrades but more the why..

If you are not stopping when slamming on the brakes..that points to the TV vs trailer and by upping the trailer brakes, you are just putting a band aid on the problem .. your TV still cannot handle what it is pulling.. the TV having the ability to "pull" does not include the handling / stopping function.

If trailer brakes didn't stop the trailer, there would be lawsuits clogging the courts..

So it is a nice upgrade but....
Old 05-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #24

It is not a question whether electric brakes will stop the trailer it is how far you travel before you come to a complete stop.

Weight will have bearing over the distance but if you take two identical trailers put the same weight in them a trailer with disc in a panic stop will stop in a much shorter distance and that is a fact of the difference of design. All the higher end trailers have them .
Manufactures do not do it because of the money. If RV consumers walked on trailers that were over 10,000 in weight because they did not have disc they would be putting them on ASAP.
I put them on mine and they are a much better system, no electric lines to short out connections to corrode and you feel much safer in your ability to stop quickly.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
It is not a question whether electric brakes will stop the trailer it is how far you travel before you come to a complete stop.

Weight will have bearing over the distance but if you take two identical trailers put the same weight in them a trailer with disc in a panic stop will stop in a much shorter distance and that is a fact of the difference of design. All the higher end trailers have them .
Manufactures do not do it because of the money. If RV consumers walked on trailers that were over 10,000 in weight because they did not have disc they would be putting them on ASAP.
I put them on mine and they are a much better system, no electric lines to short out connections to corrode and you feel much safer in your ability to stop quickly.
Interesting...and I suspect eventually, all rigs will have them but not all high end rigs have adopted them ..yet.

How do you factor in the size of the TV in this equation ?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #26

If they have not they are behind the curve.
Disc are superior by design simplicity and function. There is no argument that can be made to dispute the realities of the two systems and which is better in heavier trailers.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
If they have not they are behind the curve.
Disc are superior by design simplicity and function. There is no argument that can be made to dispute the realities of the two systems and which is better in heavier trailers.
Not completely ready to concede to that...all semi trailers are drum.. as well as 85+ percent of class 8s... even though that is changing slowly.

The plus with disc is the set up and adjustment..but I suspect far more expensive to maintain....if the the routers are anything like on my cars and truck. I don't seem to have the same upkeep on my drums in my cars.

The RV trend seems to favor the lower quality rig that has the most bells and whistles rather than the more solid and less flashy rig.. so I am not sure how fast the adoption of disc brakes will be.. I tend to prefer to buy a rig that is several years old so in this category...and my present rig is geared to long / full timers however, if I had the option, I would be willing to buy that option.

The other fact that seems to be missing in this conversation is that most TVs are just about maxed out with oversized rigs... the more we travel, the more we see this ...so they do need help..and upgrading the rig brakes will make travel a bit more comfortable.

Interesting conversation..thanks..
Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Our semi trailers and tractors are disk. The difference in stopping power is unreal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462322994477.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	125971  

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote