Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
Going to have the Titan Disc Brake system installed on my Redwood 38FL this August, looking forward to the upgrade !!!!

Robert & Bale the Wonder Dog
2014 Redwood 38FL
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #30
Disc Conversion::YES

Hi, I converted my 5er last fall with Kodiak disks and calipers, Titan pump and made up my own lines. Have about 1750 invested and it was well spent. My drums were acceptable but not quick nor impressive on grades. The disc setup saved me on entering a Fla. rest stop when trapped behind a semi trailer which concealed an almost 90 degree entrance turn and a 30 mph sign! WHEW! Late at nite and a long day was kept form becoming even worse. I've never owned a vehicle with too much horsepower or too effective brakes! Shepfly

shepfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #31
Semis which l had owned 7 over 35 yrs have air acuated brakes same as a train. They do have drums and shoes but that is where the similarity ends . More and more semis have disc brakes and they are air acuated also . Biggest factor on trucks is keeping overall weight down. Earlier disc versions were heavier then drum and brake.
I am not trying to convince you to switch.
You keep playing devils advocate over a technology that is irrefutily better then electric brakes. If you like your electric brakes keep them . If you would like to stop safer in all weather conditions get disc. Eos
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 AM   #32

Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Ok...I will rise to dissent..

I am not going to get into the pros / cons of the various brake upgrades but more the why..

If you are not stopping when slamming on the brakes..that points to the TV vs trailer and by upping the trailer brakes, you are just putting a band aid on the problem .. your TV still cannot handle what it is pulling.. the TV having the ability to "pull" does not include the handling / stopping function.

If trailer brakes didn't stop the trailer, there would be lawsuits clogging the courts..

So it is a nice upgrade but....
I would agree in to some extent, yes my TV is rated well within the limits of my trailer.
My Redwood 5th Wheel weights approx. 16.800 lbs. , I pull it with a 2012 GMC 3500HD DRW that is rated for 23,500 lbs. 5th Wheel weight and a gross combined weight of 30,000 lbs. of which my gross combined weight is 26,000 lbs.
Does my setup stop, sure it does, not real fast but it does stop ok. When driving in Stop and Go city Traffic, I always make sure I am not right on top of somebody and leave plenty of reaction / stopping distance, then somebody cuts in front of me !!!
My rig reminds me of a early 2000 model GMC Suburban I had (Disk brakes on the front, Drum brakes on the rear) it stopped but not real good and yes there were many lawsuits on the early model Suburban for braking and stopping problems. I also had a early 70s Chevy Nova and a late 60s Pontiac GTO, they had drum brakes on all 4 wheels, I still remember the change from driving cars with Drum Brakes on all 4 wheels to driving a car with Disc brakes on the front, what a difference.
I have been pulling my setup all over the country for the last several years and have not run into anything because I could not stop. The time I have issues is in the mountain's on long downhill grades, the truck brakes get pretty hot and start chattering. Yes the exhaust brake works great but where I notice the problem is low speed stops coming down a steep hill where the exhaust brake does not help.
When I had my truck front end aligned and tires rotated a few months ago, the shop showed my the front disc rotor, they were discolored from heat.
I have no pulsing, vibration, noise or squealing when stopping, it is just obvious my trailer is pushing me quite a bit.
I believe the Disc brake upgrade will help with my low speed stops on steep downhill grades and be more responsive in stop and go city traffic.
Robert & Bale the Wonder Dog
2014 Redwood 38FL
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #33
I will be installing the Titan setup on my Cedar Creek this month. I have only towed it 300 miles so far, but know this system will improve braking performance therby making us, and those around us on the road, safer...bottom line.

Easier maintenance and a true self adjusting system is just an added bonus.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #34
Actually, I am not discussing drum vs disc technology. My MG-bgt had front disc brakes in '62 vs the Duster we bought that had drums all around..in '75 ! I upgraded the beast to front discs in short order. I can only think of one vehicle that we have owned since '91 that didn't have 4 wheel disc brakes and that was my '96 RAM , which I am pretty sure had a disc / drum set up.

My question was that if your TV was the proper size and kitted out properly, why would you need them. Rob, I like your explanation.

So the head scratching starts here..

If we are talking about "unreal" stopping power as tugboat mentioned..and I do believe him...I am then confused why the whole industry hasn't adopted or mandated the industry or DOT to adopt this standard.. if my take on the industry magazine articles is correct... there is not a significant number of new rigs built with disc brakes being sold.. I do know they are out there but not in large numbers compared to total numbers.

I am somewhat surprised about the weight comments about the disc setup on large trucks..you would not think that a large diesel would notice a couple of extra hundred pounds.. especially when you notice a lot of the extraneous metal adornments on some cabs..

I keep thinking about the old adage that if you build a better mouse trap, you will make millions...but the classic trap still reins..

Will I upgrade my brakes on the AF, no. Braking isn't an issue. ...however, I will put them on my wish list for the next one...
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #35
I see the trailer as a vehicle that should be able to stop itself without help from the TV.

When I hook up to my 5er my required stopping distance is increased. I must always be aware of this and intentionally leave room insuring un-eventful stops. In doing so, there is that special someone that darts over into my stopping space at the last moment causing a "pucker moment" for me and any passengers. When a semi tractor hooks up to a loaded trailer its stopping distance is also increased. Seems to me that if my truck is being pushed by my 5er (when it is receiving proper braking signal from the TV) it will push on any TV regardless of size. Wouldn't this also increase the stopping distance of a larger TV too?

Its not simply an issue of an inadequate TV in front of a large RT... its a matter of providing a better braking system to the towed vehicle. As mentioned in an earlier post...air actuated disc brakes on a big rig out perform the old drum system... as they will on my 5er.

My reasons for upgrading my 5er brakes is because the performance will be better (by a long shot), I have the ability to install them myself and that I love my family and feel an obligation to provide the safest travel experience I can for us. When I explained the benefits to my wife there was two thumbs up from her regarding the cost of the system.

My trailer brakes will be changed from adequate to excellent once the discs are on it. I'm not going to wait until the next trailer is aquired or (God forbid) there is an accident that could have been avoided had I chosen the excellent system sooner...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #36
Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
When it comes time to do work on my 5er's brakes I will then do the up grade to disk. As in my truck it is now in need of a brake job so I am upgrading to better shoes and drilled / slotted rotors.

2014 Columbus 320RS
2011, Ford, F250 srw, 6.7
Life member GoodSam, KOA, F.R.O.G
Tugboat is online now   Reply With Quote