Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Converter battery charging question

I have a 2011 Cougar Keystone 35' fifth wheel. Have noticed recently slide operation has been sluggish so assumed original battery was worn out. Status indicator on wall showed original battery was low. Bought new battery, installed, panel indicator showed fully charged (4 LEDs)24 hrs later and plugged into shore power, panel indicator showing 2/3rds charged. 72 hrs later still 2/3rds. Wondering if this is normal or what I can be checking?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Sounds like the converter/charger isn't functioning properly, there are fuses on the C/C that have to be checked as well there should be a dedicated 120volt circuit breaker in your power panel that may have tripped.
I Jan. I had to help a friend replace his C/C on a newer Cougar 2013 ? , it was mounted in a bad spot ( basement compartment wall had to be removed for access ) and there was no ventilation for the unit , it had overheated and died.
We moved the unit slightly and he cut the compartment wall to add vents and an access to check the fuses.
EDIT : Check voltage at the battery with a multi meter , if you don't get 13.4 volts or higher , you need to find the C/C and repair or replace.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

Great tips! Appreciate the quick response. Will check voltage/fuses and post my findings.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

The OE Converter installed in my RV had a simple timer circuit in the unit... it would start at full charge (35 amp) and within 1 hour would be down to 1/2 charge, and an than 3 hours later be down to trickle charge or maintain charge... 13.2 volts... thus it would take my (3) sets of (2) 6 volt batteries days to come up to a full charge.. and if we were using the coach while on shore power it would never come up to a full charge....

Get the brand of your converter and look it up on the internet for details...

I purchases a NEW converter.... with some logic circuits in the unit... full charge (65 amps) until basic voltage comes up.... and than it tapers off... to a float charge... usually after 2 or 3 days on the road it now takes maybe 6-8 hours on shore power to come up to full charge.... but that's with the batteries driving an inverter running the tv and other accessories....

It could be nothing more than the way your converter is designed and how much the coach builder was willing to spend at the time of assembly...
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

UPDATE: After checking the converter (WFCO 9855) type that plugs into 110v outlet on back of breaker panel, there is 110V to the converter but there is no 12V DC output at the lugs on the converter that feed the battery. It appears the converter is faulty.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpols View Post
UPDATE: After checking the converter (WFCO 9855) type that plugs into 110v outlet on back of breaker panel, there is 110V to the converter but there is no 12V DC output at the lugs on the converter that feed the battery. It appears the converter is faulty.
Are there any fuses or a re-set button on the unit ?
Foul smell , like burnt plastic?

Was the C/C hidden behind the basement wall ?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

skip 426 has a great thought.. almost all of these units.... have fuses... see the link for your converter.... https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-9855-.../dp/B004A30UHG

This unit has (2) fuses in parallel with a total output of 55 amps... and I assume its got (2) 30 amp fuses... ... I sure hope that you've got 6 or 8 gauge wire from this unit to the batteries... that's what it takes to carry this current...

Also note that its got thermal protection but if its been in a location where it can't get cooling I'm sure its bad.... BTW all of these that I've seen... have had a fan that starts and stops based on the temperature of the box...
Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without the converter on, check the battery voltage. Turn on converter and check the voltage at battery again. It should go up about a volt with the converter on. If no change then the converter is not outputting.

If converter is not outputting. Check the 120vac into the converter. If present troubleshoot the converter, it's fuses, and wiring from converter to battery. If not present troubleshoot the circuit feeding to the converter, it's circuit breakers, wiring, voltage source, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

If no 12v output, check the fuses. My converter has a row of 5 to 20 amp fuses to power everything 12v in the trailer, but there are 2 fuses off to the side (mine are 40 amp each) that blew and caused it not to work. I had actually changed the converter before finding the blown fuses. Replaced the fuses and it works again. Now I have a spare converter.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

guys.... read jpols update...
Old 07-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

UPDATE #2: Firstly, want to thank all who responded with tips, it helped me affirm I was troubleshooting properly. I have replaced with a new converter and all is back to normal. My challenge now will be navigating the WFCO warranty process as the unit is less than a year old. Downloaded forms from their site that must be completed and faxed, then they provide claim approval, then send a new unit.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

Info about the WFCO Model 9855 converter: Has three modes: Absorption mode, output is 13.6V, is normal operating mode for running the RV and slow battery charge. Bulk Mode, when low battery is detected, output changes to 14.4V for four hours. Float mode, provides trickle charge of 13.2V. When converter senses demand such as turning on lights, etc., it switches back to absorption mode.

Tags
battery, charging, converter