Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Converter or batteries

I have a IOTA DLS-55 Converter with plug in Booster.
2- Napa GC2 Batteries Date Stamped 8-12

Reading shortly after waking up with nothing but a/c running for about 8 hours.
Without booster plugged in
Hook up to shore power with converter and batteries on readings at 12v panel.
As much turned of as possible12.9v
With a few light running drops 12.65v. Last night with a few other things running this stated about 11.1 volts had dropped to about 10.2v.

Reading at batteries
As much turned of as possible 12.6v
Same few light running 12.5v

Reading at Converter
As much turned of as possible 13.09v
Same few light running 12.98v

Reading battery discount switch off
At battery 12.27v
At panel with as little as possible on 13.4 v
At panel with few lights on 12.88 v
At Converter with as little as possible on. 13.44v
At converter with a few lights on 12.9v

With converter discounted
At converter 13.45 v
Battery with discount off 12.2v
Discount on 11.88v

Everything points to the batteries but don't understand why voltage would be so low last night if converter was working properly.
Lawsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoncb View Post
I have a IOTA DLS-55 Converter with plug in Booster.
2- Napa GC2 Batteries Date Stamped 8-12

Reading shortly after waking up with nothing but a/c running for about 8 hours.
Without booster plugged in
Hook up to shore power with converter and batteries on readings at 12v panel.
As much turned of as possible12.9v
With a few light running drops 12.65v. Last night with a few other things running this stated about 11.1 volts had dropped to about 10.2v.

Reading at batteries
As much turned of as possible 12.6v
Same few light running 12.5v

Reading at Converter
As much turned of as possible 13.09v
Same few light running 12.98v

Reading battery discount switch off
At battery 12.27v
At panel with as little as possible on 13.4 v
At panel with few lights on 12.88 v
At Converter with as little as possible on. 13.44v
At converter with a few lights on 12.9v

With converter discounted
At converter 13.45 v
Battery with discount off 12.2v
Discount on 11.88v

Everything points to the batteries but don't understand why voltage would be so low last night if converter was working properly.
You did the first step in troubleshooting them by taking voltage readings........the next thing is to have them "Load Tested" as one or both of them just might be shorted out internally........and when power demand from them is needed, the voltage drops out of sight. Have them load tested and you will know the condition of them.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Batteries tested good under a load test. Voltage was a little low but not much difference between no load and load. Trailer has been running of converter for a couple hours and no problems. Reading over 13v.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Measure voltage at bettery with and without converter charging. Should be about 1 volt higher with charging. If no change converter is not charging. If converter is charging load test the batteries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #5

Trailer has been running off converter for about 6 hours with no issue. Voltage read 12.9v at panel.

Batteries measured 12.0v with discount switch off.

Turn discount switch on and get 12.2v at batteries and 12.4 at panel
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoncb View Post
Trailer has been running off converter for about 6 hours with no issue. Voltage read 12.9v at panel.

Batteries measured 12.0v with discount switch off.

Turn discount switch on and get 12.2v at batteries and 12.4 at panel
You are going to have to take a multi meter and get a reading right at the out put of the conveter, it should be around 13.5 VDC going to the batteries.
At 12.0 VDC , your battery is 50% depleted.....Maybe they are still charging up.......if they were really low, it will take some time to recharge them??

Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Did you use a Conductance tester or a Carbon Pile load tester. The reason I'm asking is I've had a Conductance tester tell me a battery was good, but when I put a high amp load with a Carbon pile load tester on the battery it would not recover, charged it again then ran Conductance tester again then it showed high milliamperes. Just curious what you used to load test it.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

Did you say ran the ac 8 hours? 4 year old batteries, charging good, but you're draining them low. One day they won't charge and then time to go shopping.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #9

Converter or batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
You are going to have to take a multi meter and get a reading right at the out put of the conveter, it should be around 13.5 VDC going to the batteries.
At 12.0 VDC , your battery is 50% depleted.....Maybe they are still charging up.......if they were really low, it will take some time to recharge them??

The reading at the 12v panel last night was below 11v. There is no reason for this to be this low. Have been hook to shore power or truck for weeks. Trying to determine what is causing this converter or batteries. Today reading was 13.45v out of converter with the lead unhooked.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teek312 View Post
Did you use a Conductance tester or a Carbon Pile load tester. The reason I'm asking is I've had a Conductance tester tell me a battery was good, but when I put a high amp load with a Carbon pile load tester on the battery it would not recover, charged it again then ran Conductance tester again then it showed high milliamperes. Just curious what you used to load test it.

This is over my head. Took it to Walmart. Only place I could find on a holiday. He used a small hand held device with a dial and a switch to apply the load.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Did you say ran the ac 8 hours? 4 year old batteries, charging good, but you're draining them low. One day they won't charge and then time to go shopping.

A/C running off shore power. Was referring to thermostat use of 12v
Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #12

Check battery acid levels ?

If plates are exposed, add distilled water.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #13

12.9v at the panel this morning. I guess I will have to wait till I get low voltage and look for the problem then. Hard to find anything when all is working.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #14

As I read the model of your converter... usually the model includes the maximum amount of DC output... in your case I read that as 55 amps... if this is the case and your unit has a 55 amp max output... and you read the voltages that you stating... you have a converter problem.... a 55 amp converter would normally run most every 12 accessory of your unit and attempt to charge the batteries...

As you stated... you were plugged into shore power.. the AC was running and you woke up with issue... this leads me to believe that the converter is either not working... the batteries are bad... or there is a loose/poor connection between the converter and the batteries...

IF you tested the voltage at the converter and read those low voltages... you need to both check the fuses on the converter... and you also need to switch your voltmeter to the AC scale... and re-test.. if you have a bad diode in the converter and its passing AC voltage... your voltmeter on the AC scale will see this... as about 20V AC... the converter is bad and needs to be replaced....

BTW the AC voltage test will work on an alternator to check for diode issues...

Tags
batteries, converter