Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Converting from a 5er fridge to a residential model?

Has anyone converted from a 5er-type gas/electric fridge to a residential style? What are the considerations? Is there any downside to doing so? We are full timers and, although we have a 4-door Dometic, we could really use the space of a residential-sized fridge. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

As long as it fits, go for it. Residential fridges cool so much better and are much better insulated. Leave them closed when traveling and it is good to go. Mine is factory and it is on inverter. Get the newer "energy star" units and they use little power. Even if you boon dock it is a good choice. It uses much less electricity as a propane/electric does.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
JDT

Probably the most popular residential fridge for replacing a 4 door gas/electric absorption type is the Samsung RF197 19 cubic foot, French door model, especially among motorhome owners. This is because it is the same depth and width and only 3 inches taller than the Norcold model. I'm not sure about the Dometic but my guess is they are about the same. The Samsung is considered a counter depth model as the cabinet is only 24" deep (not including the doors).

I replaced the Not So Cold 4 door fridge in our motorhome when we had it. I had to do some modification on where it sat and the upper wood trim but nothing I could not do myself. I did seal off the rear and roof vents as there was no need for them with a residential. It ran great on my 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter and 4 6 volt batteries.

When we ordered our Excel a residential fridge was a must and it so happens Excel uses the Samsung RF197 so now we have another. When not on shore power it runs on 2 6 volt batteries and a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter. It will run all day while traveling without much voltage loss in the batteries. I have an automatic transfer switch which automatically switches it to shore power when we hook up and back to the inverter when we unhook. We have had it 2 years and no problems. It gets to 38 in the upper part and -2 in freezer very quickly and stays there. Even though it will run off both a modified or a pure sine wave inverter according to Samsung, I prefer the pure because it is the same as household current and better for electronics.

Sorry to be so long winded but just trying to be thorough.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I'm going to do the same thing come this Fall. I've narrowed down the refrigerator to only tier III efficiency one of conventional top freezer units. That configuration is of the most reliable and not as heavy as others. We are not going to get an ice maker as ice makers are the most problematic part of a refrigerator. Plus, I don't want to worry about water leaks, winterizing, or stale water in lines between tips. A residential refrigerator will make trays of ice in a matter of hours. I'm fortunate that the unit I have picked out will just about fit perfectly into the cut out for the Norcold 1210. So it should be a fairly easy swap-out. I can't wait to do the swap. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

I helped a fellow work camper replace his 4 door Dometic with a Samsung don't know what model it was but fit with little modification. He had a MH and the hardest part was getting it in around the passenger seat, had to remove it and some door hardware that was in the way. That was also with the door removed from the fridge.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

When you think about selling your used 4 door it should more than cover the cost of a new one
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE=mikell;2154524]When you think about selling your used 4 door it should more than cover the cost of a new one[/QUOTE
I just listed it for sale this week on Jacksonville craigslist. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

A lot of folks have done the conversion and some have found battery capacity is an issue if you dry camp.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Stay with the "Energy Star" units and you should be fine. Many are using them boon docking with very satisfied results. Even the Dometic units use dc power on gas.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
When you think about selling your used 4 door it should more than cover the cost of a new one
Don't count on making a lot of money on a used RV refrigerator. I couldn't give ours away even though it was working fine and had a 1-year old cooling unit. I had one guy sort of interested, but the shipping costs were waaaaay out of sight. I sold a couple of small parts (circuit board, gas valve, ice maker, etc.) that could be shipped inexpensively, but after 2 months I chopped the rest of it up and threw it in the trash.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Stay with the "Energy Star" units and you should be fine. Many are using them boon docking with very satisfied results. Even the Dometic units use dc power on gas.
My only point is to make sure you have the infrastructure to handle it. There is another thread where a fellow with a largish C got an electric only refrigerator but his battery pack will not keep it running overnight. He has a real problem trying to figure out how to get the extra battery capacity and how to charge it when he does. I expect he will have a couple thousand in solar, batteries and a new charging system before he is done.

FWIW - one can say a control board is a control board so the power draw is about the same. OTOH the gas solenoid draws a lot less current than the compressor. It really is an apples and oranges arguement to compare the electrical draw of a gas refer to an electric one. That leaves me thinking it is like the diesel vs gas argument. Pick the right conditions and either one shines. Pick the wrong conditions and either one is a waste. I would not put electric only in a small unit that boondocks a lot. YMMV.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #12

If running on gas. They actually use more electricity than residential on electric. Really need to look at "energy star" power usage. Need to choose the right residential fridge.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
If running on gas. They actually use more electricity than residential on electric. Really need to look at "energy star" power usage. Need to choose the right residential fridge.
Not sure where you came up with this. Empirical data is that this is wrong. I can run an LP powered refer all day on one deep cycle 12 V battery. All I see is issues with battery charge for much larger banks than that with a compressor type refer. Tried looking for the Samsung spec but they do not list power draw. Dug a bit more and found this thread:

Current Draw Examples

looking around #50 give or take there is a discussion of power consumption. It seems the refer draws 70- 120 W. That would be ~7 - 12 A at 12 VDC plus an efficiency factor that seems high. When I look up gas valves the solenoid draws around 12-15 W or ~ 1 A at 12 V. No compressor in an absorbtion refer. Also none of the other loads like the icemaker heater or the self defrosting heaters that make the units nicer.

The bottom line I see is that the new compressor units are undoubtedly a much nicer unit than the absorbtion gas powered ones. Modern compressor operated refers are much more efficient than the old units. The modern compressor units still have a long way to go to match the electrical load of an absorption unit. If you think about it that makes sense as most of the energy comes from burning gas instead of running an electric motor. ;-)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #14

The Dometic/Norcold units also work on electricity also. I stated running them on electricity. They use an electric heating element to boil the fluid to gas to achieve cooling. They are not energy efficient. Now many have posted great results with the new "Energy Star" residential fridges boondocking. They draw low power. Very doable. You misread my post. Never stated it used a lot of electricity on propane. It does use some though. So even it is a draw on batteries.

Tags
fridge