Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Gray kind of depends. Some folks with high water usage wait until the day before. The rest of us leave both valves closed so that the gray is full when we dump. We just don't use enough gray water in one day to do the job.
We subscribe to this method. KISS principle

It hasn't been an issue for 31 yrs.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #16

I did hear of a trick to clean the black tank.
Pour your leftover cooler ice in the black tank and the motion of driving will allow the ice cubes to scrub the inside of the tank before they melt.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I did hear of a trick to clean the black tank.
Pour your leftover cooler ice in the black tank and the motion of driving will allow the ice cubes to scrub the inside of the tank before they melt.

It sounds like it would work......

BUT it doesn't really have a scrubbing affect.
Ice floats on top of water in tank (which should be there to keep tank bottom wet and not allow stuff to stick)
Ice doesn't have much mass/weight and just bounces as it melts

There is a video of a guy that tested different cleaning methods using a clear plexiglass tank.
Tank spray nozzles, GEO Method, ICE etc
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #18

WE have been full timing for 9 years and we leave the grey tanks open and the black closed. I dump the black every Saturday.

We use a washer almost daily and I don't see how you would get smell or flies into the house unless the P traps went dry and we use everything often enough that they never go dry.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #19

The washer is the deal breaker. Most of us do not have one hence much lower gray water usage. If you have a washer then you need to act accordingly. Ditto if you cannot live without a 20 minute shower. Again, not something most of us do for a variety of reasons.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The washer is the deal breaker. Most of us do not have one hence much lower gray water usage. If you have a washer then you need to act accordingly. Ditto if you cannot live without a 20 minute shower. Again, not something most of us do for a variety of reasons.

The W/D drain into the gray water tank. I don't think there is any way to plug up the gray tank whether you leave the valve open or closed. The solids in the black tank are what cause the problems and require special handling. We full time so a dry P trap is not a problem. My dad once commented that if there is a woman in the house, then water is being used somewhere. Note: Dad has a weak water well on his farm and water is scarce sometimes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #21

Not quite true. Gray tanks can accumulate grease and food particles. Not the pyramid of poo but still can get nasty.
The real issue is having sufficient gray water to rinse the slinky. Those of us who don't have a W/D or some other high usage excuse need several days to build up enough water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #22

Back over 30 years ago my Dad had a idea about this problem. At the time, if he said "I want this done, and done this way..." I would dig out the tools.
What we did was put a extra drain in the grey water tank so when it was 3/4 full he could open one of 2 valves to drain the top part of tank. One would by-pass the main valve and tie back into the sewer connection, for when the stinky slinky was in place. Close that, open the other, and he could run gray into a bucket, or thru a small hose to the sewer, or to the bushes if permitted. Sometimes he would MT the bucket in toilet, if that would give him time not to dump before he left. But he always had 3/4 tank of gray when time to dump the black...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #23

I'm not too concerned about slinky (whatever that is) in the gray water tank. As far as grease and food, I usually carry that outside and dump directly into the sewer connection or dumpster. Besides, it would take a awful lot of grease to plug up a gray tank, we eat to healthy for that to happen.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I'm not too concerned about slinky (whatever that is) in the gray water tank. As far as grease and food, I usually carry that outside and dump directly into the sewer connection or dumpster. Besides, it would take a awful lot of grease to plug up a gray tank, we eat to healthy for that to happen.

Slinky.....collapsible sewer hose

Greases/oils along with food particles etc can accumulate and stick in bottom of a grey tank that is allowed to dry out from leaving dump valve open

Not that they would build up into a pyramid or actually clog the drain opening just accumulate/dry out and that means STINK
Stink that can come back inside an RV via those cheap Air Admittance Valves

Decaying/rancid grey STINKS
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote