Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Cost of self leveling system

Considering having lipperts 6 pt self leveling system installed on our DRV. Has anyone had one installed on an older rig, if so what has been your experience as well as the cost? Tnx for the response.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

I believe I have heard $6k for 6-point auto leveling. There are some lesser cost ones around--Big Foot, HWH are a couple I have read about.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
If your trailer already has Lippert round front hydraulic landing gear, you will save because it can be reused to work with the 6 point leveling. My last rig was like this and camping world in PA quoted me about $3500 to do the install. (Lippert will not sell you the components to do the job yourself and their authorized installers are few and far between.) BigFoot also makes a nice 6 point hydraulic system. It's a little cheaper, you can do it yourself if so inclined, and is an easier install as it uses individual hydraulic pumps at each leg location so no routing of hydro lines throughout the trailer.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I think we'll continue to level l/r with boards and/or blocks. I'll spend that money elsewhere.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
You're lucky in that you don't know what you're missing. Like before you got your first TV with a remote control...
Old 05-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Had them both. Big foot has it all over the lip. Just compare diameter and stroke.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimws View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think we'll continue to level l/r with boards and/or blocks. I'll spend that money elsewhere.
You can spend a lot of hours leveling and pay yourself a hefty salary for the price of a levelling system. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Then again, it's only money...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

We just upgraded to the Lippert One Touch Leveling. System. We already had the six jacks on our 2010 36TKSB. Theat upgrade cost ~$1500. The system is very touchy about being on a level spot prior to setting up. We have had trouble twice now when trying to retract the jacks to go home and the system locks up saying it is two far out of level. When this happens we have been able to manually retract the jacks. If that had failed I would have had to do a lot of work to get access to the pump and the hydraulic cylinder distributin box and manually open and close each cylinder while using a drill with a hex bit to turn the pump motor to raise the jacks.

I will be more careful in the further and most likely do a mix of old technology (boards) and new technology (One Touch Leveling System) to level the fw.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout4eagles View Post
We just upgraded to the Lippert One Touch Leveling. System. We already had the six jacks on our 2010 36TKSB. Theat upgrade cost ~$1500. The system is very touchy about being on a level spot prior to setting up. We have had trouble twice now when trying to retract the jacks to go home and the system locks up saying it is two far out of level. When this happens we have been able to manually retract the jacks. If that had failed I would have had to do a lot of work to get access to the pump and the hydraulic cylinder distributin box and manually open and close each cylinder while using a drill with a hex bit to turn the pump motor to raise the jacks.

I will be more careful in the further and most likely do a mix of old technology (boards) and new technology (One Touch Leveling System) to level the fw.
I bet this is why they told me they could only re-use the legs.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

We have the Lippert 6 point and couldn't be happier now that I know to move the truck away from the rig before you hit the Auto-Level button. I've also used it to lift one side to change a tire. The front legs angle out a little to provide some side stabilization on the front. I already had an electric tandem stabilizer jack on the rear. With the tripod on the pin I have 9 points on the ground and am solid as a rock even when the DW does a happy dance.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I believe I have heard $6k for 6-point auto leveling. There are some lesser cost ones around--Big Foot, HWH are a couple I have read about.
Joe
I had the 6-pt Lippert installed in Quartzite during the show for $4500. That was a good deal.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Yes, that was. Are you happy with it? Any problems?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Yes, that was. Are you happy with it? Any problems?
I was going to be in Western AZ during the show and just lucked into it. I think it was the first time they installed the 6 point on a Pinnacle but it worked out. The only problem was with the legs canting out on the front. If you need to bring the front down a lot to level it, the pads have to slide in while fully loaded.

If every thing was even I might have gone with the Big Foot because the oil reservoirs are on the legs. Much rather have to run power and control cables to the legs than oil lines. That said, and having no real experience with the Big Foot, the Lippert is has been great. I was able to change a tire using it. I now have a slide issue and am able to lift it using the Lip6 and setting it on my tripod to get to the slide bearing.

Tags
leveling