Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #1

I need to replace my house batteries.

Original Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries were:
Interstate SRM-24, MCA 690, Reserve Capacity 140.

The Costco Deep Cycle Marine batteries are:
Kirkland Group 24, MCA 700, Amp Hours 85.

Price is not an issue, as much as available power for boondocking.

Can anyone shed light on the differences between "Reserve Capacity" and "Amp Hours"?
Anyone using Kirkland group 24 Marine batteries?

Looking for your advice or experiences.
Thanks,
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

I need to replace my house batteries.

Original Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries were:
Interstate SRM-24, MCA 690, Reserve Capacity 140.

The Costco Deep Cycle Marine batteries are:
Kirkland Group 24, MCA 700, Amp Hours 85.

Price is not an issue, as much as available power for boondocking.

Can anyone shed light on the differences between "Reserve Capacity" and "Amp Hours"?
Anyone using Kirkland group 24 Marine batteries?

Looking for your advice or experiences.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
CD

Something to consider. Deep Cycle Marine/Rv batteries aren't true Deep Cycle batteries which are much better for house batteries. If a battery displays a cranking amperage it is not a true deep cycle.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #4

Get your batteries from a reputable retailer who will stand behind the batteries he sells and sells a lot of batteries to folks who use them like you do. Costco certainly qualifies.

Do keep in mind that you want to avoid discharging any lead acid battery below 50% state of charge as a usual routine - i.e. there is no such thing as a "true Deep Cycle battery" that you'd put in an RV.

CCA can be determined for any battery. Modern battery design makes the differences between SLI batteries and RV batteries more a matter of degree rather than kind. If you use an inverter you may well want the capability of your battery bank to put out a couple of hundred amps for a minute or two as well.

Sometimes I think the only thing that separates SLI from RV (or even "deep cycle" or "golf cart" as they are often [mis]used on these forums) is the warranty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Price is not an issue, as much as available power for boondocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The issue is weight. Due to optimization in modern battery designs you will get about 22 watt hours per pound of battery and that means 10 watt hours per pound usable energy capacity is a good rule of thumb guide. There is some optimization in the trade-off between capacity, cost, and ruggedness in a battery line but you are usually stuck with what local retailers have in stock. (e.g. the T105 vs T145 or SCS 200 vs SCS 220 in Trojan's line).

Group 24 batteries are smaller than group 27 which are smaller than the 'golf cart' size which are smaller than group 31 and so forth. For most energy storage, get the biggest and heaviest batteries that will fit.

The biggest source of battery failure in RV's is from misuse and poor storage management. See Basic battery guidelines for some ideas about how to keep yours healthy.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #5

Great info guys....Thanks!

I went to the Interstate site and found their SRM-24 battery specs. I made a calculation using their rating of 5A load for 16.5 hours, which gives 82.5 AH. The Costco batteries are rated at 85 AmpHrs. SO if my calculations are right, its a little better.

Since I only use these batteries a few weeks a year, it makes sense to me to by less expensive batteries and replace them more often, rather than spend the big bucks for a conversion and not get full use/value out of the upgrade.

Correct me if my calculations are wrong.

Thanks again for your advice.
Joe
Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #6

I have a pair of Trojans T-105 Plus, got them about 6-8 months ago...

they are a little expensive...

But they are good...

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Product...alVehicle.aspx
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #7

The 'MCA' is a 'Cranking Amp' rating, which means neither of those is a real deep cycle battery. For best results, get one which has ONLY an amp-hour rating and no cranking rating at all.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Please excuse my ignorance, but I assume you guys are talking 6V for house, and not 12V?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

I just purchased a pair of Interstate batteries (GC2) at Sam's Club for $66.87 plus tax and core charge. In the process of installing the new charge wizard and making the battery tray fit to hold the new batteries. Should be finished tomorrow.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #10

I bought 2 Kirkland (Costco) group 27 Marine/RV batteries this spring for $62 plus core. So far I've been happy, I have yet to run out of power. They're 115ah, and 700 CCA. On my longest outing so far this year I was out for 4 days with out hook ups. I didn't even run one battery down, that was running the funace all night, a Fantastic Fan occationally durring the day, water pump for showers for 6 of us each day and the toliot, and lights. This up coming trip I think I'll probably go through more power as it will be hotter and I'll probably be running my Fan more. I think they have a decent warrenty, 12 month free replacement, 30 month prorated. Plus I bought 2 group 27 Costco batteries for the same price as 1 group 31 from Bass Pro.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #11

Two batteries at about $130 total is expensive if you use the RV only once a year and do not maintain the batteries. What I do is float the batteries on an intelligent battery charger. It does not have to have any more than 3 amps (about $40)capability, but does have to start at a higher voltage and then taper to about 13.6 volts. I have had house batteries last seven years by using an intelligent charger and checking the battery water twice a year. Just put the charger on all the batteries at once, (batteries in parallel)plug it in and forget it. If you have the RV in a storage yard, then you will either have to take the batteries home and put then on the charger, or you will have to get a solar panel. I installed one for a friend. I used one amp panel with a voltage regulation module between it and the batteries. It kept two of those diesel truck size batteries charged year around with a latitude found in northern California. Not sure what Canada would need, but probably could be calculated knowing temperature to determine internal discharge rate for battery, and number of hours of sunlight winter and also summer. In hot weather a battery will only be good for several months before completely discharged and sulfated to the point that you need new batteries.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if capacity, not price is the major consideration, get lifeline sealed agm batteries from bd batteries in denver. ups shipping to the 48 states is included in their price.
there is a good explanation of battery capacity on their website.
i use a schumacher automatic charger to keep my batteries charged. it is available from most auto parts stores including schucks and parts america. my charger does an equalizing (de-sulfating) charge as well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been using Walmart batteries in my boat and fiver for around four years now. I pay around $60 for deep cycle marine battery. They seem to holdup as good as the Inerstate batteries. They may be made by Interstate for all I know.
Tom
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #14

I just popped in to my trailer on my way to CA and wanted to check the new batteries and charger. The old system would hum all the time and the solar panels would show a charge. The new system is on storage charge mode and the solar panels are off even with 12V items on. Looks like the new batteries are doing great.

A question on Amp Hour rating on 6V batteries? They are rated at 210 AH each to get the total do I add each (210+210 = 420AH) or is it just 210 since it takes 2 to get to 12V?

Paul