Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Cougar vs Sprinter vs ?

My wife and I are looking for a 5th wheel. Don't need to winter in it as we live in south TX by the border, but travel a lot.
34-36 ft. give or take a foot.
2 A/Cs
Auto level (Hyd. preferred over elect)
12 CU FT or larger frig
TV across from recliners/theater seats
King bed preferred

Those of you with one of these models...how have they held up? How does it tow in side winds/what do you tow with? My present rig (in signature) wags like a bass tail in the wind.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm wondering why your current setup is difficult to drive.... that's a pretty heavy tongue on that trailer, so your truck might be a little overloaded... but I'm curious if your hitch is setup properly.

Seems so soon to move to a 5th and a new truck, but if your heart is set on it, have you thought about what truck you want to pull that 5th with? No doubt a dual rear wheel is in your future.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm wondering why your current setup is difficult to drive.... that's a pretty heavy tongue on that trailer, so your truck might be a little overloaded... but I'm curious if your hitch is setup properly.

Seems so soon to move to a 5th and a new truck, but if your heart is set on it, have you thought about what truck you want to pull that 5th with? No doubt a dual rear wheel is in your future.
Probably more than being a pain to drive in the wind, is having just one A/C unit! It's a 30 amp trailer so I can't add a second one. Everything is pretty much OK to about 90 degrees...then it looses it and by mid afternoon in the summer with outside temps over 100 it's about 90 inside! End of May when we rolled into Needles CA one afternoon it was 107/108! I thought we were going to have heat strokes (and the cat too) as we are in our 60s.

Hooking up/unhooking and leveling is a PIA with the trailer too vs 5th wheel and auto level ( we had a 40' Cardinal & Ram 1T diesel dually, down sized when we built a new house in S TX by the Rio Grande) especially in high temps.

It drives OK till we get a strong side wind of about 20+ MPH constant with gusts. I didn't feel that with the Cardinal...people have told me that is mostly due to it being a 5th wheel...and a little help from the dually. I found if I run the chains with 4 loose links instead of 3 it transferred more weight to the front and helps in wind. Also I have air bags on the truck and up it to 50-60lbs on windy days, about 40 on non-windy days is fine for a good ride.
I've heard a Hensley Arrow hitch gets rid of sway but haven't had time to research it yet.

That's why we are looking. I really like my truck and don't want to drive a dually around town all the time. The size and floorplan of the Super V is fine. We just got home from a 2 month run and could have stayed out if not so HOT! I hate the prospect of spending $30-40K to upgrade the pair...but only other alternative is to stay home in summer months or run real fast far north. Most of the kids and grandkids we visit are in Tulsa/KC areas = HOT!
I'm open to any better ideas!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

You will spend more than $30-40K to upgrade to the kind of fifth wheel you are describing and at least a SRW 1Ton to pull it, maybe a dually.

Better suggestion since you say the existing TT fits your needs.
1) Keep the F150 and get the Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P to control the sway. Cost maybe $2-3K.
2) Add a second A/C, cost maybe $1K. Yes you only have 30 amp service but many RVers add the second A/C and run a second 20 amp power cord dedicated for that A/C and plug it into the standard 20 amp outlet at the power pedestal. Some just slip the power cord thru a window or around the slide out seal, others add a twist-lock power receptacle on the outside of the trailer. When the weather isn't too hot, you don't even need to mess with this extra power cord.
3) Finally, if absolutely necessary have electric leveling jacks added to the TT. Just guessing but maybe another $2-3K.

Most likely you can do it all for around $5k, you will spend more than $50k to upgrade to a fifth wheel and dually.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
yeah the heat is rough for sure, especially if you don't have any shade.
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
You will spend more than $30-40K to upgrade to the kind of fifth wheel you are describing and at least a SRW 1Ton to pull it, maybe a dually.

1) Keep the F150 and get the Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P to control the sway. Cost maybe $2-3K.
2) Add a second A/C, cost maybe $1K. Yes you only have 30 amp service but many RVers add the second A/C and run a second 20 amp power cord dedicated for that A/C and plug it into the standard 20 amp outlet at the power pedestal. Some just slip the power cord thru a window or around the slide out seal, others add a twist-lock power receptacle on the outside of the trailer. When the weather isn't too hot, you don't even need to mess with this extra power cord.
3) Finally, if absolutely necessary have electric leveling jacks added to the TT. Just guessing but maybe another $2-3K.

Most likely you can do it all for around $5k, you will spend more than $50k to upgrade to a fifth wheel and dually.
I too have heard of adding a second ac with it's own power cord. I'm HIGHLY considering doing this to my Airstream
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post

1. I haven't heard of a ProPride 3P hitch but will research both.
2. I like the idea of adding a second A/C with a cord. I'll check into cost and how many amps it would draw. I think if there was a second A/C the trailer would be livable even on hot days. And also change our trip dates when we can.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
yeah the heat is rough for sure, especially if you don't have any shade.
And as crazy as it sounds, in early May in MO we had the electric blanket on with nighttime lows around 41 deg. !
Old 07-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Obviously,, they make all different rv's for different needs/wants... Our new Cougar (31'4" ) nose to tail is doing us fantastic.. 2 adults, 2 Danes,, 3 slides, and it is 50 amp, prepped for the second AC... It has the single 15K ac now, and does a fine job... Sure I can see if we were in full sun in AZ (been there in our old rv) you might want the second AC.. I would guess the extra insulation it has helps. It is a 5th wheel,, pulls Fantastic with our 2500 truck... (winds, hills, etc)

PS,, just read the latest responses,, a second power cord for the second AC might save you money over buying a different rv... And get a good hitch.. You'll be ok.
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Obviously,, they make all different rv's for different needs/wants... Our new Cougar (31'4" ) nose to tail is doing us fantastic.. 2 adults, 2 Danes,, 3 slides, and it is 50 amp, prepped for the second AC... It has the single 15K ac now, and does a fine job... Sure I can see if we were in full sun in AZ (been there in our old rv) you might want the second AC.. I would guess the extra insulation it has helps. It is a 5th wheel,, pulls Fantastic with our 2500 truck... (winds, hills, etc)

PS,, just read the latest responses,, a second power cord for the second AC might save you money over buying a different rv... And get a good hitch.. You'll be ok.
So you like the way it pulls in all different conditions? That is about the size we were thinking about 32'-34' maybe 36' max. I can get a '16 Sprinter 298FWRLS for $15,795 difference...before the dealing starts. It's the same "food chain order" as Cougar on Keystone's web site.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
So you like the way it pulls in all different conditions? That is about the size we were thinking about 32'-34' maybe 36' max. I can get a '16 Sprinter 298FWRLS for $15,795 difference...before the dealing starts. It's the same "food chain order" as Cougar on Keystone's web site.
Yes I Love the way it pulls... For what its worth , I pull double trailers 5 nights a week for work, about 100K miles a year... This trailer/truck is a Dream to drive... The wife mentioned our first 2700+ mile trip out west,,, "guess the wind is blowing huh?" She was looking at the trees and grass... I just said,,, "Didn't notice"... NICE.... No more "white knuckle" stuff for me.... I can get you actuall weights, if needed, but we are light,,, about 18K total...
Monkey
Old 07-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Yes I Love the way it pulls... For what its worth , I pull double trailers 5 nights a week for work, about 100K miles a year... This trailer/truck is a Dream to drive... The wife mentioned our first 2700+ mile trip out west,,, "guess the wind is blowing huh?" She was looking at the trees and grass... I just said,,, "Didn't notice"... NICE.... No more "white knuckle" stuff for me.... I can get you actuall weights, if needed, but we are light,,, about 18K total...
Monkey
Actual weights would be great if it's not too much trouble. Then I would have numbers from a good handling rig to compare to things we look at. Thanks.

We'll see how we can modify our rig and what we would end up with vs what we can upgrade to at a reasonable amount. Then decide which way we want to go.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #13

Ok,, sorry it took so long,,,
My truck in my sig, these weights are full fuel, full water, empty grey/black tanks, loaded up ready to travel.
Truck only, steer axle 4680
drive axle 3080

With 5th wheel
steer axle 4600
drive axle 4940

Trailer axles
front 3400
rear 3440
Now that was just me in the truck, add a 'small' wife and two Danes to the truck weight.
Actuall "pin" weight is about 1760, the weight of truck alone was without the hitch. I figure 100 lbs, more or less. Hope this helps. That weight squats our Chevy maybe 1.5" . Makes it level.
Monkey
Old 08-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #14

Don't buy anything from Keystone cougar.

We have a cougar fifth wheel and the floor has had 3 bubbles in it the size of basketballs. The dealer can't find the problem. In the first year it was in the shop 100 nights for 14 different problems.

Many tires trailer wag is cause by the tires on the tow vehicle. Try a higher ply tire. The higher the rougher the ride but the less side to side movement.