Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Cougar, Wildcat, or?

Sold our Arctic Fox which was going on 12 years old. Not wild about its floor plan and less so the new ones so am looking at other manufactures.

Looking to buy a fifth that is 31 feet or less and has a GVWR of 12,000 or less. The 262RGX Wildcat as a possible. As we travel we see many Cougars and Wildcats. Willing to buy used if we can find a clean one and I see 2015's being discounted so that is a consideration.

We are not planning to full time nor take the rig off the pavement. There are so many different models on the market it is a challenge to even narrow the search.

So, the question is: Any reason to avoid either the Wildcat or Cougar? And if so what might a better choice be? Heartland if they make one that fits? Or...?

I bet this question or something similar has been asked a million times so forgive me in advance.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

Heartland makes an Elkridge. All three are about the same in price and build quality. Pick the best deal. Good luck
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have been searching RVtrader for rigs and am finding it will take time to find what we would like. I have also found some very good info on this web site about what to look for.

I have started a check list to take with me when we find something. Top of the list is condition of the roof and condition and age of tires. Some have said 16 wheels are something to look for and E rated tires.

Another suggestion was to buy a newer used rig since it is probable that the previous owner would have dealt with all the things that needed fixing.

It is good I enjoy the hunt or this would get frustrating fast.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You may want to check out the inventory at Kansas RV Center. That is the former NuWa manufacturing plant. The owner has developed a reputation of refurbishing good used units and selling them at fair prices. I noted your location so it may not be feasible for a visit. But their website may give you some good perspective on prices.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

I would Cougar (and there are lots for sale) say is a step down from your AF but since you are not using it using hard, go for the floor plan. Buy one that is a couple of years old so the bugs are out of it.

16 inch LTs are the way to go...especially if you like to run over 65...
Old 10-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #6

I agree as to the Arctic Fox vs. the Cougar, given the strong frame of the AF. We hope to be traveling a month at a time but most likely no more than 4 months a year. At least that is what we are now thinking.

We make an effort to stay where there is a minimum of electric and water and full hookups where possible. Two to four years old is the window I am restricting my searches to at this time. Depends on what I find what I may do next.

We are finding an acceptable floor plan to be the most challenging since we have two dogs (45 and 65 pounds) and do not want to be falling over them every time we move about.

But, before I purchase another rig, I need to find a place to keep it that is out of the snow. If it ever snows again.

And the hunt goes on, and on, and on.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

You sound like us...hopefully on the road 4 to 6 months with 2 dogs..ours are a bit small .. beagles.. except we are putting the rig in storage now waiting for the snow to come :(. We boondocked for 5 years..the DW likes hookups but will, if pressed, go 2 or 3 days without. Life is a compromise.

Several of us were pondering the other day when quality seemed to drop off (regardless of brand) and 2012~2013 seems to be the guess. Nothing scientific here, just campfire talk. Sounds like you are dead on for your target.

Good luck. The hunting is half the fun.

Grassy.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

I like the Northwood products but our tow limit is 12,500 so some are too heavy for me to feel comfortable towing. There is an Outback Glacier Peak series that is on our list. Must be new since I have found no used ones so far.

At one time we were considering Komfort but seem to remember, need to do a bit of research, that the company sold to perhaps Thor sometime around 2008 or maybe 2010.

Our first fifth was a year 2000 Nash 24-N5 which was a good unit but in the end DW decided it was too small, did not have the living space she liked when staying inside on gloomy days.

When the smaller companies with good reputations get purchased by the big players quality seems to suffer. Guess that is when the accountants take over and profit becomes the top priority.

I believe there is value in "campground talk" but still follow up with my own research plus talking to independent RV service guys.

In the end we may end up buying an older rig, like a NuWa and spending what it takes to upgrade the components that are important to us, like LED lighting, wheels and tires, etc.

Right now I making an effort to keep an open mind.

Tags
cat