Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Question Cover OR No Cover for Winter

OK...hate to admit it, however, Winter is knocking on our doors.

I've got a Fifth Wheel that I will have to store outside for the Winter months, from November through April. We live in Southern Michigan where we certainly get our share of Snow AND Freezing Weather.

I would like some opinions of experienced folks in Northern Climes as to whether I need to purchase a Fifth Wheel RV Cover for the Winter. I certainly want to take care of my investment but also don't want to spend $500 if I really don't need to.

For those that may prefer covering and have experience with that, what kind of cover would you suggest?

Please help if you can...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No question cover I live in New England and wouldn't leave camper out exposed to elements small investment for an expensive item I actually got mine on Craig's list the guy used it one time that will keep cost down
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

I used to store ours inside one of the buildings at the county fairgrounds. I always wanted to be the last one in so I could be the first one out. Always had to convince the powers that be that I could get it out when there was still 6" of snow on the ground.

Decided last year to store it beside the house. Bought an ADCO cover. It paid for itself in the first year compared to what I paid at the fairground. Supposed to get 5 years out of it. We'll see. When it goes, I'll get another.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Cover in Ohio. Use ADCO with Tyvek (white) top. Our previous TT got 8 years out of it before having to pitch. Now with our Fiver on it's second season and no tears in the cover yet (so hopefully will get at least 5 years out of it.

Covering helps protect your unit from sun/UV damage as well.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Lots of threads on this subject. If you do a search, you'll have enough reading for a month! IMO, a cover is better than no cover at all. You'll get about 3-4 years of use out of one before you have to replace it, if properly taken care of. Be sure you remove anything pointy or sharp or pad with cut tennis balls or swim noodles. It's a 2 person process to get it up on the roof, rolled out & cinched down. Just don't try to put it on on even a slightly breezy day or you'll end up in the next county.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Just don't try to put it on on even a slightly breezy day or you'll end up in the next county.
Lori-
I was trying to swallow when I read that.
Brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
No cover. The wind whipped cover does more damage than rain and snow. It is nice in the spring just after the maple trees shed their buds but I move the camper forward from under the tree. My nearly new cover now takes up space in the basement.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

I've never covered in Northern Nevada where it's hot in the summer and cold/snowy in the winter. We also tend to use the trailer at least once per month in the winter. I've often wondered if covering is good, or if it can be abrasive when dust gets under it and the wind starts to blow.
AMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #9

Covered our previous TT for 12 years and this is how it looked when we sold it. Protection from sun and UV is helpful IMHO and was always cleaner when covered for storage vs. uncovered.

We cover our new 5er too. Two seasons and no issues from covering. We live near Cincinnati so YMMV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170921_170239.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	177352
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #10

we just bought a cover I'm more concerned about the summer as we are mostly snow birding. so it will sit may through sept. I wanted to keep it safe from the sun just sitting.
what do you do about the down spouts/rain gutters? are they removable? I'm sure those little pointy things would tear the cover
Old 09-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Not to cover your rig is like going to the beach without sunscreen. You can do it but you will pay the price later.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

I live in Ontario where we get many feet of snow. I pay for indoor storage in a barn for my rv and my boat. When I had a tt, I left it out in the winter. I used to shovel it off a couple times a year whenever it would start to pile up. If you are like me, and would be getting several feet of snow on the roof, it will require shoveling it off. This sucks. A cover wont help with snow load. If you can afford indoor storage, it is peace of mind knowing your baby is safe.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Lots of threads on this subject. If you do a search, you'll have enough reading for a month! IMO, a cover is better than no cover at all. You'll get about 3-4 years of use out of one before you have to replace it, if properly taken care of. Be sure you remove anything pointy or sharp or pad with cut tennis balls or swim noodles. It's a 2 person process to get it up on the roof, rolled out & cinched down. Just don't try to put it on on even a slightly breezy day or you'll end up in the next county.

Lori-
We bought one last year in phx. I stored the rig in Vegas. Got to the storage a few hours before the flight. It was a very windy day and our first time with a cover. I knew better but this was our only chance to get it on before flying out. Bad idea, we rolled it out and DW on one end me on the other. The wind got under it and filled it up like a hot air ballon with her caught up in the middle of it. I ran to help and was " told" to leave her the $%#^ alone. She wasn't a happy camper. Once out the wind grabbed it again and ended up wrapped around one of the storage buildings with a three foot tear in it. Thankfully we bought the warranty. Will try again this winter.
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #14

X2. We fortunate to be able to park our Trek in the driveway, and bought a cover for the current one. It was new-to-us in 2009, and had always been stored indoors. My rationale is that the yearly degradation of the cover eliminates the same from affecting the clear coat paint on the motorhome. Our CAMCO cover is 8 years old and still has a few more seasons left. I have patched the few wear areas and holes with military grade duct tape https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very satisfying to uncover a clean motorhome in the spring and not have to clean the winter dirt from the finish and roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Not to cover your rig is like going to the beach without sunscreen. You can do it but you will pay the price later.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter