Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Crossroads Redwood 38FL

Looking to purchase this as my first RV to retire in this Fall. I've been in lots of them all over the U.S. And like the floor plan. Looking for suggestions from current or past owners of this model. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Ask the guys that use them. Redwood RV Owners Group - Index

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

NikD800 - We just bought a Crossroads FW, and although we love the floorplan, the company themselves are very difficult to deal with. They have the worst customer service dept as they are all very nasty to customers. In addition, I am looking to get some warranty issues repaired and they want me to travel to an authorized dealer who is 6 hours away from my home, or pay for it out of pocket, and submit for approval and reimbursement which I cannot afford to do. So, my advice to you is check out other brands, and if you really want this FW, find out the closest dealer and when you are traveling how will they help you. They told us prior to purchase no problem on service, now they are giving us a hard time. Plus a lot of things were damaged upon delivery. Our A/C did not work, the awning does not retract properly, dump valves leak, slideout damaged our floor because there was a lot of debris under the slideout which the factory did not clean out, lock on cabinets did not work because the opening was cut bigger than the lock, I could go on and on, I am sorry I bought a Crossroads, I should have went with a Montana.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

I'm buying thru a local dealer but planning to visit with several Redwood owners at the local RV parks I've visited recently. Not good to hear someone with the price line of a Redwood would have so many problems. My plan is to spend the first 6 months in mine right here in northern Michigan at a great park just a short drive from the dealer. That way I can learn the unit and work out bugs before I head south for the winter. Appreciate the input.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill54 View Post
I am looking to get some warranty issues repaired and they want me to travel to an authorized dealer who is 6 hours away from my home, or pay for it out of pocket, and submit for approval and reimbursement which I cannot afford to do. So, my advice to you is check out other brands.

They told us prior to purchase no problem on service, now they are giving us a hard time..

I am sorry I bought a Crossroads, I should have went with a Montana.
Sounds like . . . any, other, manufacturer. Forest River, Keystone, Heartland, etc. Dealers of those lines can only submit warranty claims to their respective mfgs they buy and sell from.
When you buy something with wheels, you have to expect to move it.

I'm sure they will help no problem when it's at a dealer of theirs.

You could also have all those problems with a Montana too. Mostly up to the dealer. Why didn't your dealer fix those problems and clean out the trailer?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #6

Just curious...can you ask if the windows are framed or just set into the wall without framing it with aluminum 1st? I heard from a rep under Thor that visits all the Thor companies. He is the one that told me Redwood cuts corners in framing.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #7

I spoke with the rep tonight. She's checking on the question about the window construction for me. I'm looking to order the unit in August, get it here by October and have the dealer store it for me until Spring when they'll move it to a local park for me. I wanted it on hand by early spring so I can get it to the RV park near town by June first. Dealer is also checking about extending the warranty for me because I won't be living in it until June.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

I owned a Redwood for 3 years and they're good units. I had the 36 RL but I have friends with the FL and they like them.

I pulled mine all over the country (aprox 38,000 miles) without a problem. We decided to buy a Motor Home or I'd still have it. Don't believe the negative BS from folks that like to point fingers out of envy.

Good luck with what ever you buy
dave&ginny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

We have been fulltiming in our Redwood 38FL for a year now, we love the floorplan and space.
We have had a few minor issues (mostly with vendor supplied components) but after working through the initial bugs we have been enjoying our Redwood and traveling the country
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Thanks for the input everyone… To be accurate I should say the unit Im ordering is the Crossroads Redwood 39FL (changed from38FL in 2015 to 39FL in 2016. Not sure why because the specs say the unit is 41' long.) The big difference I see in the 2016 is that the fireplace and television have been moved to the very front of the living room rather than at the railing as you come up the steps into the living room as they did with the 2015 and earlier models… And a recliner sits against the rail so you can look at the tv screen directly ahead in the position rather then at an angle… There may be some other minor differences as well but thats the most noticeable to me.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #11

Correct, that is the biggest change from the 38FL to the 39FL, I believe the coach length did not change.
The Kitchen Pantry behind the dining table got smaller / narrower and the pantry behind the TV disappeared.
For us this is a Fulltiming Negative as the Kitchen lost a lot of storage.
The old 38FL layout was a "Love / Hate" floorplan, many did not like the 38FL layout but we like it, that is why we bought it.
I like the new rounded "Clam Shell" type shower doors on the new Redwoods , there are no other changes to the FL Bathroom or Bedroom.
Make sure you join the Redwood Owners forum, lots of great owners and info.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #12

We liked the Redwood 38FL as well, but we wound up getting the Bay Hill 379...under $67k in Texas...no regrets in 4 mos. of use so far.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
We liked the Redwood 38FL as well, but we wound up getting the Bay Hill 379...under $67k in Texas...no regrets in 4 mos. of use so far.
Our Redwood FL was not much more than that, we just had its 1 year birthday yesterday, looking forward to many more.