Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Talking Crusader 320 RLT?

We are looking at buying the 2011 Crusader 320 RLT. This will be our 1st 5th wheel. We have a 30 foot keystone springdale. I was wondering if anyone has any experience wth this line. It is a prime Time manufacturing from Forest River. We have a 2011 Diesel silverado 2500HD.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Looked at it earlier this yr, but it had too little bedroom storage for our needs. Also, I wanted both 50 amp service and dual pane windows. Also found that the front slam latch storage door wasn't very effective since it is not mounted vertically.

But the Crusader does have several good features. The ducted return air system for the A/C makes it much quieter and it is supposed to be more efficient. More significant is the SchwinTek In-wall slideout mechanism used on all slideouts. Lighter weight, less power and safer. The dual motors for each slideout are computer controlled and supposed to stop the slideout if it hits an object or other problem.

I think a good price would be around $28k.

On edit: The 290RLT is what I looked at. The 320RLT would meet our needs, but it is longer, heavier, less well equiped and more expensive than what I purchased.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

What make and model did you buy? I liked the Crusader because of the counter space in the kitchen and the layout in the living area. The ability to see the tv from the chairs.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

My wife and I are looking at the Crusader 320RTL as well. We liked the counter space as well as other features that are standard. We are new to Rving, so this would be our first unit. Question? You mentioned you had a Chevy 2500 diesel. Will that truck handle the weight and pin weight of the Crusader? I need to purchase a truck to haul it with.

Thanks
RonWBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Well since I posted this we are now looking at the crossroades 325CK. We are tying to get the best for the least $$. I am waiting for the dealer to give me a quote.
As far as a truck goes it depends on how much trailer you want to pull. With the 5th out there now, allot are very light. So my husband did his research and found the Silverado Diesel 2500 HD had a good rating with everything and everyone he talked to. the new 2011 has a new heavy suspension and its really nice for pulling.
Have someone on this forum give you the low down on weight thing, but the Truck we have towes 17800 lbs.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael
Well since I posted this we are now looking at the crossroades 325CK. We are tying to get the best for the least $$. I am waiting for the dealer to give me a quote.
As far as a truck goes it depends on how much trailer you want to pull. With the 5th out there now, allot are very light. So my husband did his research and found the Silverado Diesel 2500 HD had a good rating with everything and everyone he talked to. the new 2011 has a new heavy suspension and its really nice for pulling.
Have someone on this forum give you the low down on weight thing, but the Truck we have towes 17800 lbs.
Thanks. I am doing my research now and plan to post something about towing weights to get feedback. I didn't know buying a 5th wheel was going to be a math test. LOL. There is a lot to learn in order to be safe and this forum seems to be the place to come. Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

A 2500 Chevy Duramax will tow just about anything, but in many cases will not support the pin weight of the heavier 5ers. Plus once you get if moving, you still have to be able to stop it. I prefer my 1 Ton Dually then I don't have to worry unless we went to one of the top of the line, high end rigs.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Before you buy a truck or 5th wheel, let me strongly recommend you read THIS from iRV2.com member Ken Lenger. At the bottom of the page is an Excel worksheet that will be invaluable in sizing your truck and 5th wheel.

If you do this, I guarantee that you'll be more knowledgeable regarding 5th wheel towing than 95% of the truck or RV salesmen you'll encounter.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice. I definitely plan to follow. I was actually creating a spreadsheet myself, but I will use this one instead to save the time. I have been looking at the GMC Seirra 2500 with the diesel. I will run the numbers using the spreadsheet, but at a glance, I should be able to handle the Crusader 320 RLT at 10,000 dry and estimating another 2,000 of stuff. The pin weight is about 1900. Once I get close, I will post to have some others check my math. I have been reading these forums and definitely want to be Safe! Reading some of the problems others have had, makes you think twice. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWBlues View Post
The pin weight is about 1900.
For sizing purposes, take 20% of the 5th wheel's GVWR as the estimated pin weight when loaded. Published dry pin weight is meaningless.

Rusty
Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #11

Please review my numbers

I downloaded the spreadsheet on determining weights and have been researching different models of trucks and 5th wheelers. The calculations are a eye opener!!! My numbers are what I have been able to obtain on the internet sites and estimates to what I would be carrying.

The truck I have been looking at is a GMC 2500HD Durmax Crewcab 4wd.
I have been looking at multiple trailers, but this one is a good example of the size. Approximately 7200 dry brochure weight. I am using a Cougar Lite 27RKS for this example.

The GCVWR seems to be fine with about 5000 lbs under.
The GVWR on the truck is where I am concerned. What is a good number to be at for a buffer. Is 200 lbs under the GVWR ok?

I tried to be very conservative on the weights for both truck and 5th wheel.

With the GMC 2500, I don't see me pulling any 5th Wheeler over 9500 lbs fully loaded and being legal! That is a far cry from the 16700 lbs the brochure states.
Please let me know what you think?

GMC 2500HD Duramax
Truck Specs.
GVWR 10000.00
Curb Weight 7208.00
Payload 2792.00
GCVWR Truck+ Trailer 24500.00
Max Trailer 16700.00

Cougar Lite 27RKS
Trailer Weight 7204.00
Calc Est. Carrying Capacity 2200.00
Total Trailer and Equipment 9404.00

GTWR 9404.00
Brochure Dry Hitch PIN Weight 1210.00
Calc Hitch = 18% of 12220 1692.72

Truck -Dry Weight 7208.00
2 people, Gas, hitch, tools 942.00
18% hitch 1692.72
Estimated Total -------------9842.72

GVWR 10000.00
Under/Over GVWR 157.28

Est. Fully Loaded Trailer 9404.00
Est. Fully Loaded Truck 9842.72
Calculated GCVWR Total------ 19246.72

GCVWR 24500.00
Under/Over GCVWR 5253.28
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
With the GMC 2500, I don't see me pulling any 5th Wheeler over 9500 lbs fully loaded and being legal! That is a far cry from the 16700 lbs the brochure states.
This is why the "Manufacturer's Trailer Tow Rating" (MTTR) has gotten a lot of people in trouble, and why I say that it's a fictitious, marketing fluff rating intended only to sell trucks. Besides being overstated since it's based on the curb weight of a base model truck (no options or accessories, with only a 150 lb driver), MTTR totally ignores the tow vehicle GVWR which is the limiting factor with almost all SRW trucks, especially the 250/2500 3/4 ton series, only referring to it in the footnotes (which few individuals read) that will say something like "None of the vehicle's other ratings are to be exceeded when towing." The only way you'll know that is to run ALL the numbers for yourself, as you've done.

Rusty
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #13

It sounds like I am heading in the right direction with this setup using a 2500 series truck? Trailer dry around 7000 Or less / 9000 fully loaded. These trailers are in the Lite Series for a few manufacturers. I have been looking at Cougar and WildCat Lites. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
It sounds like I am heading in the right direction with this setup using a 2500 series truck? Trailer dry around 7000 Or less / 9000 fully loaded. These trailers are in the Lite Series for a few manufacturers. I have been looking at Cougar and WildCat Lites. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Ron
Ron,

Just about any SRW 3/4 ton diesel pulling a reasonable fifth wheel, especially one with a bedroom slideout will exceed the truck's GVWR due to the combined weight of the diesel and the pin weight. While we should all stay under ALL weight limits, and I am sure this will spark a lot of discussion, there is no technical basis for the truck's GVWR rating. Real trucks have a GVWR that is equal to the combined front and rear GAWRs unlike light duty trucks. Generally, there is very little technical difference between a 3/4 ton SRW and a 1 ton DRW. Tires and an extra leaf in the spring pack are the biggest diff., and maybe slightly larger brakes (to stop the higher truck weight, not stop a heavier trailer). On diesel units, even the rear axle will be the same unit except tube length for SRW vs. DRW.

What is critical is staying under the rear axle GAWR. That is almost always limited by tire rating rather than anything else on the truck. So, you might crunch some more numbers.

My rear GAWR is 6084 lbs (again tire limited). Last time I weighted the rear axle with full 45 gal. of diesel, my heavier utility bed, tools, hitch and factoring in passenger weight, rear axle weight was under 3600 lbs, leaving about 2500 lbs for pin weight. After 8 yrs towing an 8000 lb dry wt. unit I am now towing a 9200 lbs dry wt. unit with an 1800 lb pin weight. Haven't pulled the new unit across the scales yet, but with the same cargo loaded in the same places, the increase in loaded pin weight should be pretty close to the difference in dry pin weights.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote