Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

@serengeti...thanks for your reply!! My hubby and I are wanting to full time in about two years and yes..there's a lot of research involved! It's all part of the adventure! We are looking "hard" at the suites and heartland...we've never owned an Rv...we'll purchase a truck (f-450 dually) in a year...I can't wait to attend my first 'rally'! Do people ever attend rallies that haven't purchased their RV's yet?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #16

If you have a rally in mind, give the organizers a call to see how to get involved without having a unit there. Outside of having to stay somewhere else, there shouldn't be any trouble being there to have questions answered.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie lady View Post
@serengeti...thanks for your reply!! My hubby and I are wanting to full time in about two years and yes..there's a lot of research involved! It's all part of the adventure! We are looking "hard" at the suites and heartland...we've never owned an Rv...we'll purchase a truck (f-450 dually) in a year...I can't wait to attend my first 'rally'! Do people ever attend rallies that haven't purchased their RV's yet?
Hello - the mobile suites are a very well built 5th wheel. I have looked at them many times. I own a KZ Stoneridge. The dealer we got our KZ at sells the Mobile Suites too. They are a great looking 5th wheel and are like a luxury home. A suggestion would be if you don't have a 5th wheel now buy a used one and going camping now with it. You will gain a great idea of what you do and don't like.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
As with everything there are companies that are out to make the all-mighty dollar and do not care about quality, once it is sold good luck. On the other hand there are companies that care about what they produce and since your home is moving, all the vibrations and wear and tear are going to have occasional problems, but the bottom line is what happens when those occasional problems arise. Excel, Northwood, DVR, and Landmarks (I am sure there are a few more) are made for full-time use and you will find few problems with these RV's and if problems occur, the customer service is very helpful and prompt. For example, Landmark has a 2 year warranty, after the warranty, they still will help resolve problems, and if you know how to fix it, they will send the replacement part.
If a person spends the time researching (RV Consumer Group is a great place to start), they will know which direction to go, but if a person goes to the nearest RV dealership and let them dictate to you what is good without doing any research, then yes tnere is a good chance you will get a mass produced RV and have problems.
I also noticed that you did not add the link to the article you read, any reason why not? I know that if I did a search for "why you should not buy an RV" there would be plenty to read. How many are true? The same hold true if you search for "why you should buy an RV", how many are true? Doing research requires sifting through the incredible amount of BS that is on the net these days.
I love my RV and have had only a few minor problems that where quickly taken care of and my wife and I fulltime in it. So am I the exception to the rule? Or did I do my research and dealt with a reliable company AND dealership (drove 600 miles to buy our RV mostly because of the dealership), and would give 5 stars to both the RV (Landmark) and dealership (RV's For Less). Have a wonderful life in your S&B, while I enjoy early retirement seeing this beautiful country.

Thank you for your thoughts, here is the article
Puppy Paths: The Start Of Our DRV Elite Suite RVing Journey!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDriven View Post
Thank you for your thoughts, here is the article Puppy Paths: The Start Of Our DRV Elite Suite RVing Journey!!

I guess you had a bad experience. Owning an RV isn't an investment I am not looking for a return on my dollar. It is a purchase. We have had a couple of things to take care of with our 5th wheel. Nothing to write home about, nothing different then other things you use. Sorry you have had such a bad time. We love camping - have six children, they camp with us and some have their own campers. Great time.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie lady View Post
Like Serengeti, we LOVE our Landmark and have been Heartland Owners for almost eight years, six of those fulltiming in a Heartland Bighorn.

There is a reason RVs4less sells only DRV and Landmarks...they are at different price points, but both are excellent fulltime rigs.

As for rallies, that is a big YES for Heartland! There are hundreds of chapter rallies all around the country and everyone is welcome...we even have people who own SOB's (some other brand) visit our rallies. Those without units either stay onsite in camping cabins or rent hotel rooms close to the RV park...come join us!! The only exclusion is the national rally in June, that is Heartland Owners only.

Also, you might want to check out the Heartland Owner's Forum....www.heartlandowners.org/forum....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDriven View Post
Thank you for your thoughts, here is the article
Puppy Paths: The Start Of Our DRV Elite Suite RVing Journey!!

All I can say is OMG! so glad we chose the Landmark over the DRV, and our decision wasn't just about the monetary difference...

I can say for certainty, I am very glad that Heartland doesn't use the Schwintek slide system...we have friends with a 2012 Mobile Suite who just spent almost a month in a hotel because their Schwintek bedroom slide failed...they just got it back the other day. They said some of the parts actually had to be specially made to repair the thing. With the layout of most MS you cannot access the bath or bedroom when the slide is in so they were basically screwed!!

Harley...I understand your frustration, especially after spending so much money...wish you luck in getting things worked out!!

P.S. I think what upset me the most about your situation is how DRV bent the slide flanges inward to make it appear that it was sealing...Unbelievable!!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #22

Our MS is much older and has never had a mfg/quality issue, only stuff that happens to any RV of any brand. My experience with DRV parts/service has been great, no complaints on that. We have been to the factory once after purchase and they did quite a lot of catchup work that any 2-yr-old unit might have. They also replaced the hydraulic pump at no charge. We have also had the trailer in to Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate for some upgrades (had the peninsula made into an island)--I would recommend that he try this guy to get some work done right.
Based on the blog, I would have had an attorney hired within the first year and let him work with DRV on a suitable solution. It would appear this has turned into a hostile situation where no one can work together without getting personally upset and mad.
Sure glad I am not in the market for a new fifth wheel...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote