Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Decals

Disgusted with Keystone decals. 2010 Outback.

Decals deteriorating after only 3 years. Had expert people look at yesterday. Said Keystone uses cheap, thin decals which fail in short time. Said they replace lots of Cougars, Montanas. Would remove and replace with best available for $2000.

Traveling. Est given in Naples, Fl. Heading to Phoenix area. Home in Seattle, WA. While $2000 seems a lot to spend on this unit, we like it in every other way.

Anybody have advice on this issue? Should I trade out ??
Is full body paint much better ? Have noticed some motor homes have full paint and painted stripes, not decals. A 2014 Montana next to us had full body paint but decals over paint. Are they going to fail in 3 years ??

Any advice appreciated,
ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Full paint w/clear coat is much better.

Do you store the trailer inside or is it always in the sun?
Keystone is a cheap trailer, and have had decal issues since 05ish. But I don't see why you'd trade it? It's just decals.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you are planning on keeping the unit explore taking pictures and then have a painter paint the unit. Or go to one of the vinyl sign companies and have them duplicate the decals with better materials. I had decals made from a sign company for my boat. Had a painter paint my Rexhall decals. Safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Have you waxed the camper in the last three years? Did you get wax on to the decals when waxing?

I have a 2010 Cougar and I only have one decal pealing and it is on the front end cap. I have gotten some wax on the decal and this is where it has peeled. In the owner’s manual Keystone informs you that you should not wax the decal as this will cause issues with it.

For the price point of the Cougar I feel it is worth the money that I paid for it. I knew going in that the Cougar/Keystone line up was not a DRV Mobile Suites. So I do not expect the same quality as a DRV 5er.

Jim W.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

I removed mine from the front and I don't think it looks that bad with out them. I haven't had any problem with the side ones its a 2008 Montana.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

A friend had an Outback they purchased new, wasn't that old, decals lifting around the edges within a couple of years. He finally just removed them from the front cap. I actually liked the clean and uncluttered look better. Others were beginning to lift a year or two later, but the unit was traded in last year. As the Outback line is definitely not a high end unit, even by Keystone standards, issues of other sorts began to surface as well.

As for decals in general, I wish manufacturers would either greatly reduce them, or eliminate them all together. There are just far to many instances of. Owners having problems with them. Furthermore, I do not like the cluttered, to busy, and odd colors used on the majority of the units made these days. I find them loud and gaudy. IMHO.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Use them as templates.

Put masking take around them, remove decal and paint the area where the decal was.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Decals

I thank all for the input on this troubling issue. After towing our Outback for over 20,000 miles with lots and lots of stops, the only thing replaced were tires. Just hate to spend a lot of money on decals but they need to be fixed. looking bad. The person suggesting using them as templates and painting makes some sense.

ray
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #9

Decals

Ray, here is my 2 bits worth. Keep the trailer if you like it. A 2k bill in the overall scope of things is not that big a deal when you consider, wheels, tires, axles, leaky roofs and large bill associated with them.
My 40 5th wheel Travel Supreme was at a local firm here in Calgary for over 2 years supposedly getting renovated. They did an absolutely terrible job removing decals amongst other things. Over 100 nicks in the fibreglass. It was suggested I go with a full wrap on the trailer, cost 3200$. 3M product was used and it looks good, doesn't peel.
Full paint will run b/w 8 and 10k from Mikes paint in Elkhart Indiana.
if you are in the Seattle area, consider Gotcha covered RV storage in Bellingham, Curtis road by the airport.
if you like, I can send you pics of my rig.

Roger
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #10

I bought a 2007 Keystone cougar this spring and the previous owner had a seasonal location. I'm unsure if they stored it inside in the winter or not but all the decals on the south facing side are starting to peel and the other side looks mint, lol! Not sure id pay 2k to fix it though, doesn't bother me that much yet.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

To Roger: tks for your reply. Been without service for a spell. Would like to see the "wrap" on your rig. Pls send pics ; rayandt@aol.com

ray
Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #12

Peeling decals on a Keystone are very common. You can replace with better-quality items, paint them on, or just have them removed. But don't replace with Keystone parts, they will just peel again within a few years.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
To Roger: tks for your reply. Been without service for a spell. Would like to see the "wrap" on your rig. Pls send pics ; rayandt@aol.com

ray
Nah, post them here I wanna see too!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote