Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Decals & Wall Paper

Have a 2005 Montana 5th wheel. Wall paper border / trim is peeling off....adhesive is not holding edges. Is there a good product to use ? To resecure Also have exterior decals wearing out and peeling off. Due to weathering and heat here in Yuma, AZ. Anyway to protect them. Have trimmed curled up excess with razor and cleaned residue with toothbrush and soap & water. Thank you.

GeorgieBoy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like heat issues you might try some wallpaper glue, the backing on the trim is a glue stuff and heat will release it over time. The out side is doing the same but the glue must be drying out and curling back you would have to replace them with something else or remove them when it get bad enough.

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
As for the cheap decals part of your question. Your options are, hire a mobile sign shop to come out and replace them, or remove and paint them, or remove and put up with the shadows left over.
For the inside border paper? That stuff is held on with some nasty rubber cement of some sort. Nothing short of dynamite will get it off completely. If you strip the border paprt off, be prepared for a lot of work and painting the walls inside. BTDT
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
A friend and fellow RVer told me to store my 5er with a bucket of water inside, won't dry out so bad inside when out in the warm Az. sun.
06 Dodge QCLB Dually Cummins G56 B&W Companion 03 Sierra 27 RLSS
going_postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am currently having the exterior decals removed from my Outlaw and custom painting put in their place. Removing decals costs an estimated $800-$1,200. If the coach is over a year old, I do NOT recommend attempting to remove the decals yourself as the decals come in different mill thicknesses and is not worth the headache. No scrapers or razor blades were used to remove my decals so not to damage the fiberglass finish. A special tool that cost over $100 that looked like a stack of silicon pancakes was used to remove dried cracked decals. Also when decals are removed there is a visible change of skin color visible [shinny shadow]. Like wearing a band-aid before getting a tan. This lighter area will remain visible for many years unless covered by a decal again or paint [like covering a tattoo]. A partial paint job costs an estimated $1,700-$2,700 whereas a full pain will cost $30K or more. The quality of the paint and painter is a big factor.
Some RV manufactures will provide replacement decals if the coach is 2 or less years old BUT not pay for removal or installation of the new decals.
If decals are not removed, there are companies that can take a photos of all 4 sides of the RV and with a software make negative adhesive stencils duplicating the pattern for painters eliminating a lot of eye ball masking.
If you select to have your decals replaced with paint, I encourage you attend rallies to see vendors and check locally to get estimates and see the quality of their painters. That is what I did.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote