Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Question Delamination on sidewall of 5th wheel

I have o3 Cardinal 5 er showing a bubble in glass 18- 24 inches between the cargo door and the slide. Seems to start right under the the elect box containing the t v & phone conn. The seal was bad on that box so i have that taken care of but wondering what to do with the bubble. Im thinking of removing the cargo door and frame and the seal strip at the botton of unit and up the side of the slide a ways to see if the fiberglass would pull out at the bottom to allow for adhesive to be put in area.any ideas on what to use for sealing or adhesive inthe area would be appreciated. I m not sure whether the glass has let loose from the plywood or the plywood has loosened from the styro under it. any ideas out there? Thanks, Yohop

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

There was some discussion on this subject in this thread.
2003 Forest River Wildcat 27RLS - Delamination

hjs

Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
There was some discussion on this subject in this thread.
2003 Forest River Wildcat 27RLS - Delamination

hjs
Thanks hjs Will check this out . yohop
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well hj,
tried to send u a thanks for helping out but the thanks seemed to lock up and not send ! so here it is for all to see !

With great knowledge comes great responsibility Thanks for all your help to others - I for one appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

This discussion may help with your delamination.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

You are certainly welcome, thank you for the kind words.
There are two products that I would strongly recommend for these repairs
3M 4000 and 3M 5200
Both are marine adhesives and you can find them at any decent marine supplier or on line. The 4000 has half the strength of 5200 in case you might have to separate the parts in the future and it is a fast cure product, 5200 is slow cure (48 hours) but forget taking things apart. They fix broken hulls with this stuff and it's happy underwater.
I used 5200 on my delaminated slideout walls. I had more problems than that. There were cracks in the fiberglass on the roof corners and along the seam near the bottom of the slideout, also water got in rotting the wood frame. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel to slice the fiberglass open and to enlarge the cracks. Then I used a Dremel tool (like a dentist) to get rid of the wood root. By lifting the fiberglass sheet and peeking into the wall I was able to see where the wood frame was and I marked those locations on the outside.
Aoutozone sells all kinds of polyester resins for fiberglass repair. For maximum bonding you should use fiberglass fabric to span the pieces and then saturate it with pure polyester two part epoxy. They also sell polyester resin with heavy fiberglass in it and another with fine pieces of fiberglass in it. I used both of these pastes to fill in the "cavities" of the rotted wood, fiberglass fabric to knit the cracks and finally just pure epoxy for final finish and sanding. Before that however I laid in between beads of 5200 where I wanted the sidewall to stick back down then I screwed the wall from the outside into the studs marked out to hold it in place while everything cured. Once everything cured the "temporary screws" came out and I epoxied the holes left by the screws, minor thing compared to the rest of the job.
By the way, places like Bliss Marine also sells gelcoat and gelcoat pigments. If you have a good eye for colors you can make yourself a perfectly matched gelcoat to go over your finished and sanded repair.

hjs
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

delamination of wall

Thank you hjs for the suggestions on the marine adhesivies, i will check on finding them. I got the wall opened up . ply wood has seperated but seems still tight to the styrofoam. will try to repair the plywood substrate and reglue the fiber panel back to the plywood. think it may work. thanks again for the adhesive suggestions.

Tags
5th wheel